Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There have been posts on this site saying that it takes some time for a modern computer controlled vehicle to “learn” your driving style and that the first few hundred miles are needed to optimize performance. Maybe that’s it, or maybe that’s just a popular urban legend.
I've owned many modern turbo cars , I've tuned most of them after a few thousand miles. There is some truth to the computer learning, and you can see it if you data log. But I've never noticed a vehicle getting faster after this period , things just seem to smooth out.

Grain of salt , folks on this forum will make excuse for any fault found in the vehicle.

Honestly though 0-60 times on a vehicle like this don't matter, so as long as you're happy.with the highway acceleration I'd say that's a victory.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The most odd thing is when some people are talking up locking diffs and sway bar disconnects - and then you find out they don't even off-road! That's why I call it play acting for grownups. Expensive play acting!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Price point is a big consideration. In my mind, this is not a $55K+ vehicle. For under $40K out the door, it meets my expectations.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
buy a raptor and you will get everything you will ever want and then some.

This morning I test drove a WT at the dealer that I have a reservation at. Had an order but 99ed it to get a MY22. After this ~12 mile test drive, mostly freeway and city streets, I’m questioning whether I want to continue with a Bronco purchase. This coming from someone that owned Broncos from 1989 through 2017. There is nothing particularly wrong with the new Bronco. But driving it caused me to understand more clearly that Ford’s target was a better execution of a Jeep Wrangler. With the Bronco, they succeeded brilliantly at that. Maybe I’ll end up with a Bronco in 22 or 23, I’m just not as enthusiastic as I had been. Here are some test drive observations.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure a WT would fit in my garage. I had done all kinds of measurements using data from this site and for sure, the WT fit. That was not a surprise, but great to validate my research. My wife‘s car is missing, but it would easily fit too. No clearance problems either. Easily another 5.5-6 inches of overhead clearance.

When I first sat in the driver’s seat I was amazed at how much looking out the windshield reminded me of an EB. The raised edges of the hood are very reminiscent of an EB. Very thoughtful design feature from Ford.

One bad thing is the window fit. As everyone knows, without a frame the window must come down just a little to open and close the door. So long as you open the door slowly, all is well. But if you open the door quickly, the window hangs up a little on the molding and sort of vibrates back and forth. I seem to recall others here mention that. I’m not sure this hurts anything, it’s just not something I had thought much about.

Of course, this was a soft top. I was surprised at how noisy the Bronco is. I have seen posts claiming that the soft top was fairly quiet. I suppose this is subjective, but I thought the noise was excessive. Maybe the more aggressive tires were at fault. I have had two soft tops (see my avatar for one and an old P911-C4 for another) so I am used to a soft top. I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter. I mentioned this to the dealer sales manager and he said he was surprised because his soft top OB was really quiet. He claimed that the OB had sound deadening within the body. I had never heard that. Obviously I think a MIC top, particularly with the headliner, would quiet things down a little. I had planned on a color matching modular top which would also probably be quieter. By the way, the sales manager confirmed to me that the color matching top would be MY23, even though as recently as March it was listed at a MY22 option. Crap…

As has been opined by others on this site, the dash was a somewhat underwhelming. The plastic just seemed cheap. By the way, this was a Mid trim level, yet I don’t think Lux (which is what I ordered) would be any different. My personal car is a 2017 4Runner Limited and my work vehicle that gets most miles is a 2015 Tundra SR5. I would say the Tundra’s interior is pretty pedestrian, but the quality of the plastic and overall quality is noticeably better than the Bronco. The 4Runner interior is way superior. This is when I reminded myself that Ford wasn‘t trying to create something fancy, but just something overall better than a Wrangler. Again, I think they have done that in spades.

The engine was adequate. I have to admit that I drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but the Bronco seemed a bit slow off the line. From about 20 mph up, it performed very good. The transmission was smooth. I couldn’t feel the shifts. I was hoping the engine performance would be noticeably better than the 4Runner. I think it was better, but not by as much as I had hoped. Actually, I have to admit that I forgot to try the sport mode. That may have improved the engine performance a bit and I’m kicking myself for forgetting that.

I really did like the handling of the Bronco. It’s turning radius is superb. The SAS on the WT really smooths out rough pavements. I drove over a pavement that had been trenched and patched for a water line and it was smooth sailing over that bumpy pavement. I think this was the most favorable thing about the Bronco. The brakes were great, although there was an audible squeak at times.

In summary, I think the Bronco is a great execution of an off road vehicle for the masses. For sure it will take a big bite out of Wrangler sales. But for me I would give up a bit of the fancy off road stuff for a quieter, better fit and finish interior vehicle more like the 4Runner or some of the high end trucks on the market. My off roading needs are mostly rough forest service roads and snowy roads in AZ higher elevations. I guess I’m re-evaluating what I really need. This vehicle is my present to myself as I head into retirement. I still may end up with a Bronco. But I’m beginning to think I might need to give a nice F-150 or F-250 a look and build myself another EB to satisfy my almost life long Bronco addiction.

EBD3ECB7-8629-441B-8907-0A15C38CEC8D.jpeg

37815539-6C11-4AAE-87D3-EF8361EFC1B2.jpeg

FA321078-8DFD-4120-B7DC-6604B2CADC1D.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I test drove a OB Lux 2.7 and was underwhelmed about the experience, though I enjoyed the drive. The tech was nice the power adequate. It’s smaller than I expected interiorly (I’m 6’3)the leather was nicer than I expected. I ordered a BL mic 2.7 lux to be delivered in about a week. I did think while driving it do I really want to spend over $55k ? I travel for work an get to drive a lot of nice car as premier member with most of the rental carriers. The 2.7 did push me back in the seat which I loved. The soft top was as loud as my 03 sequoia. But I’m also buying it for top off doors off ability. I’ll probably end up with a S5 for my sport driving needs.

I think after waiting 20 years and the last year in general with all fords crap sitting in it was like “meh”. Checking this forum every hour , watching every video on u-tube. I think I’m Bronco’d out because Ford has sucked the fun and joy out of the experience with missteps and misdirection. When I got out the truck I wasn’t more excited to be getting it which felt weird as I see many others on the forums waiting for their trucks with no info from word and I’m a lucky one with a dealer confirmed arrival date. Will I still get it , sure I guess. So I understand what your saying
Yeah, your post really resonated with me, with the exception that I have no specific clue when my WT will finally show up! I first saw a 6G Bronco at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale a few months back and I was like “holy cow, that truck rocks!” But when I finally got to sit in one this morning and drive it, it was more like you say “meh”. It’s like an 8 out of 10 and I was expecting a 12. I bought the 4Runner in 2017 as a temporary vehicle until the Bronco showed up. Sometimes I wonder why I’m selling the 4Runner.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove a WT at a local dealership had really the complete different impression. I thought the soft top seemed quiet, didn’t notice the road noise like the OP. I have a ‘17 Tacoma and can say that the bronco’s interior is far superior than that of the Toyota. Toyota is way in need of a refresh- it’s boring and lacks quality. I thought the 2.7 had a lot of power and get up and go.
A lot of these drive reviews are so subjective and really should be taken with a grain of salt. Best advice drive one for yourself and gather your own insights...

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate 55F1C645-1380-45B9-8667-7F6CF36FA31D

Last edited:

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate your feedback and opinions. I have been in the Bronco twice. Once as a passenger, and once as a driver. It drove just like my Ranger. I knew what I was getting into. It’s a truck and knowing that makes me understand what I am purchasing. Both times solidified my decision and I cannot wait.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a two door bl and i love it.drives great and a offroad monster.The only thing I dont like about it .Is the year it took to get it..

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate 24
I test drove in a 2-door a few weeks back, and it was everything I hoped it would be. A rugged Wrangler class 4x4 with removable top and doors. The antithesis of every other SUV offered in the USA. Did I mention the top and doors come off? :)

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate P1160952.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
WT? EB? OB? ???

Interpreter needed to make sense of this post. Your shorthand may not match that of other folks!
Sorry about that @Yamahamer. WT=Wildtrak one of the seven current Bronco trim levels. OB=Outer Banks, another Bronco trim level. This web site shows the trim levels that are often abbreviated on bronco6G and you can probably figure out the abbreviations for those other trim levels, e.g., BB = Big Bend, BD = Black Diamond, etc.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/bronco/model/customize/blackdiamond

EB = early Bronco, the original Bronco built during model years 1966-1977, on this site would probably more appropriately called 1G, meaning First Generation. But us old Bronco nerds more often use the abbreviation “EB” and believe it’s charm will never be duplicated. There have been 6 generations of Ford Broncos (1G, 2G,…,6G). This web site is called 6G because it’s largely devoted to the sixth and latest generation of the Ford Bronco, which is currently being rolled out. Oops forgot, MY = model year, for example MY21 means model year 2021, which is the first year of the sixth generation (6G) of the Ford Bronco. Hope this clarifies things. And yeah, when I first started monitoring bronco6G and saw all the abbreviations, I thought WTF, which stands for…

Last edited:

BroncMO

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I test drove a WT at a local dealership had really the complete different impression. I thought the soft top seemed quiet, didn’t notice the road noise like the OP. I have a ‘17 Tacoma and can say that the bronco’s interior is far superior than that of the Toyota. Toyota is way in need of a refresh- it’s boring and lacks quality. I thought the 2.7 had a lot of power and get up and go.
A lot of these drive reviews are so subjective and really should be taken with a grain of salt. Best advice drive one for yourself and gather your own insights...

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate er5
Totally agree with this. Reviews are totally subjective. Drive one yourself.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
buy a raptor and you will get everything you will ever want and then some.
Yah if you want a 10K markup.
Let's see that will be 75-80k. No thank you.
Sponsored