First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After seeing you mentioned Camelback Ford, I headed over there after church this morning. I have a 2 door badlands on order with Sasquatch and if I ended up with this Wildtrack I would not be disappointed at all. Drove awesome and I thought power was great. My wife sat in the back and thought noise level was fine on street or highway and AC worked great. We are in Phoenix Arizona so a pretty good test for the AC and how well it works with even the soft top. Iā€™m a first night reservations and still waiting to get confirmation and vin for my build and after the test drive it confirmed my waiting will be worth it. I can not wait to get my 2 dr Badlands lux Sasquatch. Headed to Nevada off-roadeo here in a couple weeks.

F975C5BD-A112-4990-A1D7-BDF6E923B733.jpeg
We drove the same vehicle. Your picture makes it look like they washed it since I drove it. It was pretty dirty, inside and out, when I drove it. Glad you and your wife liked it. Just goes to show that things like noise are very subjective. I thought it was noisy compared to what I am used to. Despite the (in my opinion) excessive road noise, I thought the audio sound quality was pretty good considering it was the lower end audio system. I didnā€™t comment on the AC but it did work great, although I drove it around 8:30 in the morning, so the oven was not quite on high yet. Iā€™m anxious to hear about your Off-Rodeo experience since I plan on doing that too.
Sponsored

Sarconus

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This morning I test drove a WT at the dealer that I have a reservation at. Had an order but 99ed it to get a MY22. After this ~12 mile test drive, mostly freeway and city streets, Iā€™m questioning whether I want to continue with a Bronco purchase. This coming from someone that owned Broncos from 1989 through 2017. There is nothing particularly wrong with the new Bronco. But driving it caused me to understand more clearly that Fordā€™s target was a better execution of a Jeep Wrangler. With the Bronco, they succeeded brilliantly at that. Maybe Iā€™ll end up with a Bronco in 22 or 23, Iā€™m just not as enthusiastic as I had been. Here are some test drive observations.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure a WT would fit in my garage. I had done all kinds of measurements using data from this site and for sure, the WT fit. That was not a surprise, but great to validate my research. My wifeā€˜s car is missing, but it would easily fit too. No clearance problems either. Easily another 5.5-6 inches of overhead clearance.

When I first sat in the driverā€™s seat I was amazed at how much looking out the windshield reminded me of an EB. The raised edges of the hood are very reminiscent of an EB. Very thoughtful design feature from Ford.

One bad thing is the window fit. As everyone knows, without a frame the window must come down just a little to open and close the door. So long as you open the door slowly, all is well. But if you open the door quickly, the window hangs up a little on the molding and sort of vibrates back and forth. I seem to recall others here mention that. Iā€™m not sure this hurts anything, itā€™s just not something I had thought much about.

Of course, this was a soft top. I was surprised at how noisy the Bronco is. I have seen posts claiming that the soft top was fairly quiet. I suppose this is subjective, but I thought the noise was excessive. Maybe the more aggressive tires were at fault. I have had two soft tops (see my avatar for one and an old P911-C4 for another) so I am used to a soft top. I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter. I mentioned this to the dealer sales manager and he said he was surprised because his soft top OB was really quiet. He claimed that the OB had sound deadening within the body. I had never heard that. Obviously I think a MIC top, particularly with the headliner, would quiet things down a little. I had planned on a color matching modular top which would also probably be quieter. By the way, the sales manager confirmed to me that the color matching top would be MY23, even though as recently as March it was listed at a MY22 option. Crapā€¦

As has been opined by others on this site, the dash was a somewhat underwhelming. The plastic just seemed cheap. By the way, this was a Mid trim level, yet I donā€™t think Lux (which is what I ordered) would be any different. My personal car is a 2017 4Runner Limited and my work vehicle that gets most miles is a 2015 Tundra SR5. I would say the Tundraā€™s interior is pretty pedestrian, but the quality of the plastic and overall quality is noticeably better than the Bronco. The 4Runner interior is way superior. This is when I reminded myself that Ford wasnā€˜t trying to create something fancy, but just something overall better than a Wrangler. Again, I think they have done that in spades.

The engine was adequate. I have to admit that I drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but the Bronco seemed a bit slow off the line. From about 20 mph up, it performed very good. The transmission was smooth. I couldnā€™t feel the shifts. I was hoping the engine performance would be noticeably better than the 4Runner. I think it was better, but not by as much as I had hoped. Actually, I have to admit that I forgot to try the sport mode. That may have improved the engine performance a bit and Iā€™m kicking myself for forgetting that.

I really did like the handling of the Bronco. Itā€™s turning radius is superb. The SAS on the WT really smooths out rough pavements. I drove over a pavement that had been trenched and patched for a water line and it was smooth sailing over that bumpy pavement. I think this was the most favorable thing about the Bronco. The brakes were great, although there was an audible squeak at times.

In summary, I think the Bronco is a great execution of an off road vehicle for the masses. For sure it will take a big bite out of Wrangler sales. But for me I would give up a bit of the fancy off road stuff for a quieter, better fit and finish interior vehicle more like the 4Runner or some of the high end trucks on the market. My off roading needs are mostly rough forest service roads and snowy roads in AZ higher elevations. I guess Iā€™m re-evaluating what I really need. This vehicle is my present to myself as I head into retirement. I still may end up with a Bronco. But Iā€™m beginning to think I might need to give a nice F-150 or F-250 a look and build myself another EB to satisfy my almost life long Bronco addiction.

EBD3ECB7-8629-441B-8907-0A15C38CEC8D.jpeg

37815539-6C11-4AAE-87D3-EF8361EFC1B2.jpeg

FA321078-8DFD-4120-B7DC-6604B2CADC1D.jpeg
Bronco truly shined for me this weekend at the off rodeo. I have never done any off roading until this weekend. It handled great! Now if you want it to pick up the kids and groceries you might want to look for a luxury suv.

4X4 Lady

Outer Banks
First Name
Fran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4x4 Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry about that @Yamahamer. WT=Wildtrak one of the seven current Bronco trim levels. OB=Outer Banks, another Bronco trim level. This web site shows the trim levels that are often abbreviated on bronco6G and you can probably figure out the abbreviations for those other trim levels, e.g., BB = Big Bend, BD = Black Diamond, etc.

https://shop.ford.com/configure/bronco/model/customize/blackdiamond

EB = early Bronco, the original Bronco built during model years 1966-1977, on this site would probably more appropriately called 1G, meaning First Generation. But us old Bronco nerds more often use the abbreviation ā€œEBā€ and believe itā€™s charm will never be duplicated. There have been 6 generations of Ford Broncos (1G, 2G,ā€¦,6G). This web site is called 6G because itā€™s largely devoted to the sixth and latest generation of the Ford Bronco, which is currently being rolled out. Oops forgot, MY = model year, for example MY21 means model year 2021, which is the first year of the sixth generation (6G) of the Ford Bronco. Hope this clarifies things. And yeah, when I first started monitoring bronco6G and saw all the abbreviations, I thought WTF, which stands forā€¦
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good question. Itā€™s been 4 years since I drove/sold the resto mod ā€˜74 EB. Somebody made me an offer I couldnā€™t turn down. Letā€™s just say I made enough to purchase a 2021 FE. I turned almost every screw on that build. One of the things I did was install a lot of sound deading. It was basically dynamat under all the carpet and on the firewall and inside the door panels. Check it out:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Racket_Jacket_Floor_System/Bronco_Carpet

I made a point to make the EB quiet as possible. Probably I was using a bit of hyperbole, but the test drive was louder than I expected.
I have that on mine, but soft top, no doors, mats and not carpet. Also, mine is not worth 60k.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
*Before March 20th 2021.

"Price Protection Extension thru 2023 model year - We'll continue to offer price protection to all Bronco order and reservation holders (as of March 19, 2021) to ensure you will not see an increase in MSRP if you receive an equivalent 2023 model year Bronco."
I think their trying to say they will only offer price protection if you order the same model, same options.

Isn't that what equivalent means?

Sponsored

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I didn't test drive but sat in a Badlands at a dealership today. Maybe the layout in the Bronco looks cooler than a Wrangler, mostly due to the 12 inch screen, but man the materials felt significantly cheaper than my Jeep Gladiator with leather, I have more soft touch materials around me, leather with contrast stitching on the dash, etc. Bronco uses what felt like very cheap Hollow plastic, that being said, I'll keep my order as I probably won't see one until 2023 so I have plenty of time to evaluate.

20210731_134042.jpg
I feel exactly the same way. The Jeep Gladiator interior is much higher quality than that of the Bronco. My bigger concern though is with the MIC top issues everyone keeps talking about... I really hope Ford figures it out. Really a mess of a launch... and so far a bit of a let-down.

KDR_83

Badlands
First Name
Krystian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel exactly the same way. The Jeep Gladiator interior is much higher quality than that of the Bronco. My bigger concern though is with the MIC top issues everyone keeps talking about... I really hope Ford figures it out. Really a mess of a launch... and so far a bit of a let-down.
Yup same but since I didn't order until a few months ago, I have probably at least a year if not 2 to let Ford figure it out. My hardtop doesn't make any noise.

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yup same but since I didn't order until a few months ago, I have probably at least a year if not 2 to let Ford figure it out. My hardtop doesn't make any noise.
I'm a day 2 rez- still nothing, but we'll see. MY22/23 appears to be the better option for sure. Really loving my Gladiator, for now. Take it in tomorrow for Nitto 35/12.5/17 Ridge Grapplers. Excited!

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This morning I test drove a WT at the dealer that I have a reservation at. Had an order but 99ed it to get a MY22. After this ~12 mile test drive, mostly freeway and city streets, Iā€™m questioning whether I want to continue with a Bronco purchase. This coming from someone that owned Broncos from 1989 through 2017. There is nothing particularly wrong with the new Bronco. But driving it caused me to understand more clearly that Fordā€™s target was a better execution of a Jeep Wrangler. With the Bronco, they succeeded brilliantly at that. Maybe Iā€™ll end up with a Bronco in 22 or 23, Iā€™m just not as enthusiastic as I had been. Here are some test drive observations.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure a WT would fit in my garage. I had done all kinds of measurements using data from this site and for sure, the WT fit. That was not a surprise, but great to validate my research. My wifeā€˜s car is missing, but it would easily fit too. No clearance problems either. Easily another 5.5-6 inches of overhead clearance.

When I first sat in the driverā€™s seat I was amazed at how much looking out the windshield reminded me of an EB. The raised edges of the hood are very reminiscent of an EB. Very thoughtful design feature from Ford.

One bad thing is the window fit. As everyone knows, without a frame the window must come down just a little to open and close the door. So long as you open the door slowly, all is well. But if you open the door quickly, the window hangs up a little on the molding and sort of vibrates back and forth. I seem to recall others here mention that. Iā€™m not sure this hurts anything, itā€™s just not something I had thought much about.

Of course, this was a soft top. I was surprised at how noisy the Bronco is. I have seen posts claiming that the soft top was fairly quiet. I suppose this is subjective, but I thought the noise was excessive. Maybe the more aggressive tires were at fault. I have had two soft tops (see my avatar for one and an old P911-C4 for another) so I am used to a soft top. I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter. I mentioned this to the dealer sales manager and he said he was surprised because his soft top OB was really quiet. He claimed that the OB had sound deadening within the body. I had never heard that. Obviously I think a MIC top, particularly with the headliner, would quiet things down a little. I had planned on a color matching modular top which would also probably be quieter. By the way, the sales manager confirmed to me that the color matching top would be MY23, even though as recently as March it was listed at a MY22 option. Crapā€¦

As has been opined by others on this site, the dash was a somewhat underwhelming. The plastic just seemed cheap. By the way, this was a Mid trim level, yet I donā€™t think Lux (which is what I ordered) would be any different. My personal car is a 2017 4Runner Limited and my work vehicle that gets most miles is a 2015 Tundra SR5. I would say the Tundraā€™s interior is pretty pedestrian, but the quality of the plastic and overall quality is noticeably better than the Bronco. The 4Runner interior is way superior. This is when I reminded myself that Ford wasnā€˜t trying to create something fancy, but just something overall better than a Wrangler. Again, I think they have done that in spades.

The engine was adequate. I have to admit that I drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but the Bronco seemed a bit slow off the line. From about 20 mph up, it performed very good. The transmission was smooth. I couldnā€™t feel the shifts. I was hoping the engine performance would be noticeably better than the 4Runner. I think it was better, but not by as much as I had hoped. Actually, I have to admit that I forgot to try the sport mode. That may have improved the engine performance a bit and Iā€™m kicking myself for forgetting that.

I really did like the handling of the Bronco. Itā€™s turning radius is superb. The SAS on the WT really smooths out rough pavements. I drove over a pavement that had been trenched and patched for a water line and it was smooth sailing over that bumpy pavement. I think this was the most favorable thing about the Bronco. The brakes were great, although there was an audible squeak at times.

In summary, I think the Bronco is a great execution of an off road vehicle for the masses. For sure it will take a big bite out of Wrangler sales. But for me I would give up a bit of the fancy off road stuff for a quieter, better fit and finish interior vehicle more like the 4Runner or some of the high end trucks on the market. My off roading needs are mostly rough forest service roads and snowy roads in AZ higher elevations. I guess Iā€™m re-evaluating what I really need. This vehicle is my present to myself as I head into retirement. I still may end up with a Bronco. But Iā€™m beginning to think I might need to give a nice F-150 or F-250 a look and build myself another EB to satisfy my almost life long Bronco addiction.

id say i totally understand the "fit and finish" comment, because its generally true, HOWEVER, dont you then sacrafice some of that for removeable top and doors? Thats my opinoin, id get a 4runner except i want the top and doors thing!!

Jarhead

Badlands
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got to test drive a WT this weekend and I came to the exact opposite conclusions. Compared to the Wrangler JK in my driveway, the WT was much quieter, more responsive, and an overall smoother ride than the Jeep. I did find Sport mode a little jerky when compared to Normal mode. I think the dash issue is overblown - especially when you compare it to Jeep. Everyone will form their own opinions. For me, the test drive was confirmation, but I am glad I pushed to MY22 so I can (hopefully) benefit from some refinements on the first round of production.

Sponsored

Zeebo390

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang GT, 2016 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Totally get where ur coming from. When this thing was announced I was all Bronco all the time for about 9 months. But I refused to put any money on the table for a car without at least seeing it first. Then at long last in March I finally saw one in person at a local dealership viewing and came away with ā€œvery cool but is this really what Iā€™m going to spend at least $45k on and drive daily?ā€ The thing that got to me the most was how uncomfortable the seat and the elbow-eating hard edge of the armrest was when I lined myself up around the clutch and stick shift. Iā€™m still intrigued about getting into the off-roading lifestyle, the customization factor, and the 7MTā€¦but Iā€™m probably kidding myself about regularly using it for significantly more than our Outback can already do. So I dunno, I might still get one. But I sure as shit wonā€™t wait till 2023 or pay $10k over sticker, so if thatā€™s how itā€™s gonna be I guess Iā€™ll have to move on.

OP
OP
Bituman

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
id say i totally understand the "fit and finish" comment, because its generally true, HOWEVER, dont you then sacrafice some of that for removeable top and doors? Thats my opinoin, id get a 4runner except i want the top and doors thing!!
Absolutely, yes. Iā€™m not advocating 4Runner over Bronco, particularly if you want a top off, doors off experience. I only used the 4Runner as an example of an interior that is higher quality compared with the Bronco I test drove, at least in my opinion. Not long ago I went to the dealer looking at other vehicles to get an idea of colors. If someone wants an example of good looking interiors, check out the higher end F150s. One of my coworkers has a new Dodge RAM and wow is that a nice interior. The dash elements are really nice looking.

Last edited:

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree. And there seems to be a lot of folks coming from cars or luxury SUVs, many of which I feel are going to be disappointed after some time. I myself owned Jeeps and daily drove my off-road lifted TJ Wrangler on 35s for years, so this old guy will appreciate the better ride, steering, etc, in addition to the looks and other appeal :)
i think youre spot on here, ive had "real" cars and nicer SUVs for 20 years, bought my daughter a 2015 Wrangler, its real nice, but all i kept thinking the whole time we owned it was " this thing seems cheap and noisy" which i know are 2 criteria Wrangler purchasers' probably dont use!!! Best thing were the top and doors!

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think people have a lot of expectations of what they want the Bronco to be and not what Ford and everything has said it would be.

Having just received my truck, I am overjoyed with it and how fun it is.

SolarWizard

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gladiator // 2 door Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hello all
First post but I placed an order on day 1.

my test drive was also underwhelming to me for the following reasons.
1) my diesel gladiator when stock felt much stronger than the bronco. On 39s with stock gearing its still not seat of the pants slower than the 2.7. This surprised me the most. Performance wise my 2018 F150 2.7 with the payload package (3.73) and 34s felt much faster
2) interior dull in comparison to that of a Jeeps. I also prefer the look of a 4 door Wrangler but that 2 door in cyber orange on 37s is exactly what made me place an order. Thats a better looking setup than a 2 door jeep imo. I drove a 4 ive seen one 2 door in real life and he was cool enough to slow down and kinda check my ride out while i did the same to his.
Coming from a guy thats modified every one of the 25 vehicles hes owned before, curb appeal wears off eventually and the interior is what you end up really loving or hating
3) the soft top is trash. Its saggy and flappy and in no way measures up to the quality of the wrangler soft top. A 2 door bronco (or Jeep) is exclusively a toy to me so I would much prefer a soft top.
4) the b&o stereo is inferior to the jeeps, bigger screen is nice but the 8ā€ on either brand is plenty big.
5) transmission hunts for gears under light throttle in what id guess are 2-5 but couldnt figure out how to actually tell. The 8 speed in my gladiator easily wins there.
6) I dont care for the internal door hinges. Seems like door damage waiting to happen during on/off

what did I like?
1) Ride is more compliant. It should be though its IFS and thats what sacrificing a SFA should mean.
2) I like the placement of the locker and aux switches more
3) I like the cowl mounted mirrors but I see that also as a potential downside on tight trails.
4) I love the accommodations for limb risers and the tighter to the body tail lights.
5) the seats are wider. Not as comfortable as an F150s and while power adjustment is awesome, I have to wonder if an unplanned downpour could cause issues. Obviously they dont all have power seats though so nbd

Where am I going from here?

2 door warthog with zero options besides a hard top would probably be enough so I have no want or need to mod it at all so ill cross my fingers for that.

pic of my JT Diesel to show partly why I loved the cyber orange so much

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate 75CCCE6A-0FDF-41F2-AE32-28B25E542397

C052D21D-32EA-4071-9018-A9C29C9A0679.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: