First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same here. The Bronco is the wife's, just like our 5th Gen 4runner was. But it also serves mild wheeling and family camping duty. We threw a better set of sliders on it, and I will admit it wheels pretty darn good out of the box. Looking forward to taking it to Moab this spring.

If we want to go play in the big stuff, there's always the Land Cruiser.

IMG_20200616_073936_758.jpg
Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have this for rock crawling.

I think I'm like most of us who are experienced wheelers, I was ready for a nice driving modern driver and exploration vehicle. Capable of moderate wheeling once in a while. Comfortable on the rough dirt roads that we go on to see stuff we want to see, go places we want to go, and get to trails we want to run. I don't care that it's not as capable as a rock crawler as my Jeeps were. I have already rock crawled it some, and it's adequate. It did what I asked it to do and I wasn't disappointed, even surprised a bit. I'm good, and I love it. Exactly what I wanted. BTW, a 2dr Badlands non-SAS on 35's.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 20210406_104935

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I think I'm like most of us who are experienced wheelers, I was ready for a nice driving modern driver and exploration vehicle. Capable of moderate wheeling once in a while. Comfortable on the rough dirt roads that we go on to see stuff we want to see, go places we want to go, and get to trails we want to run. I don't care that it's not as capable as a rock crawler as my Jeeps were. I have already rock crawled it some, and it's adequate. It did what I asked it to do and I wasn't disappointed, even surprised a bit. I'm good, and I love it. Exactly what I wanted. BTW, a 2dr Badlands non-SAS on 35's.

20210406_104935.jpg
I too am impressed with a lot of the features, it's almost like cheating or playing a video game. If my Tundra was equipped with some of the features that the Bronco has, I would've never needed a spotter.

And the crawl control in pretty crazy, especially with the one pedal control engaged. The Tundra started with a doubler t-case and eventually ended up with an Atlas 4-speed with a final crawl ratio of around 170:1+.........and this Bronco still crawls slower.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too am impressed with a lot of the features, it's almost like cheating or playing a video game. If my Tundra was equipped with some of the features that the Bronco has, I would've never needed a spotter.

And the crawl control in pretty crazy, especially with the one pedal control engaged. The Tundra started with a doubler t-case and eventually ended up with an Atlas 4-speed with a final crawl ratio of around 170:1+.........and this Bronco still crawls slower.
I love how the trans shift points and throttle response changes with the mode. I have the auto trans. In low range the trans won't shift just because we let off the gas, it holds the gear based on speed so there is better driver control, it's pretty cool. And I get a kick out of the cutting brake, pretty handy on tight turns with limited maneuvering room. Sand and Baja mode also hold the gear based on speed, in high range, and hold the RPM's up in the power band. Pretty cool, and more fun. As an experienced wheeler I didn't think I'd appreciate the GOAT modes, I know when I want to shift and when I want to lock a locker, but after using them I do like them.

Of course, I also get a kick out of the GOAT modes, because of my nickname Goatman. People think it's because of how I drive, but it's based on my last name, Gauthier......go-t-a. Friends having fun, and it stuck.

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love how the trans shift points and throttle response changes with the mode. I have the auto trans. In low range the trans won't shift just because we let off the gas, it holds the gear based on speed so there is better driver control, it's pretty cool. And I get a kick out of the cutting brake, pretty handy on tight turns with limited maneuvering room. Sand and Baja mode also hold the gear based on speed, in high range, and hold the RPM's up in the power band. Pretty cool, and more fun. As an experienced wheeler I didn't think I'd appreciate the GOAT modes, I know when I want to shift and when I want to lock a locker, but after using them I do like them.

Of course, I also get a kick out of the GOAT modes, because of my nickname Goatman. People think it's because of how I drive, but it's based on my last name, Gauthier......go-t-a. Friends having fun, and it stuck.
I haven't had time to try the cutter brakes, but it's got to be a lot better than how most of my frontend digs ended up being.....those moves always seemed to cost me :)

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't had time to try the cutter brakes, but it's got to be a lot better than how most of my frontend digs ended up being.....those moves always seemed to cost me :)
Front digs are D60 stuff... :p

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Front digs are D60 stuff... :p
I was running a Solid brand D60 front with 35 spline chromoly shafts and a shaved 14-bolt in the back....I still had no luck with front digs, I was so bad at it that I received a trophy :ROFLMAO:.

I once grenaded a Dynatrac D60 so bad that I could never get the backlash on the new gears set up properly again.....

And this is a cautionary tale about rock crawling and building your rigs, take it from somebody who has had to learn the hard way, several times now, it's a downward spiral.....trust me.

First you need larger tires for clearance, then lower gears to suit the larger tires, and a lift to accommodate the increased tire size. Now you have some funky drivetrain angles that can cause bind, so you beef it up with some high dollar RCV axle shafts, now you've successfully moved your weak link more inboard to your ring & pinion. Then you spring for a cryo'd gear set, now you twist your driveshaft into a pretzel, so off to High Angle Driveline to have Jesse build you a custom heavy wall shaft......then one day you find yourself sitting in the middle of a rocky trail for hours waiting for thirteen people to cobble their junk back together and you think to yourself....."it sure was a lot more fun when I was on 35's and out trail running and overcoming challenges while still being able to drive home in comfort."

There's always going to be a bigger and badder rig out there on the trails, just sit back and learn to enjoy watching them destroy thousands of dollars as you cruise on by.....don't worry, they're likely looking at that pretty Bronco pass by thinking "I sure do miss the good 'ole days".

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. XvAeGmJ

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And this is a cautionary tale about rock crawling and building your rigs, take it from somebody who has had to learn the hard way, several times now, it's a downward spiral.....trust me.

First you need larger tires for clearance, then lower gears to suit the larger tires, and a lift to accommodate the increased tire size. Now you have some funky drivetrain angles that can cause bind, so you beef it up with some high dollar RCV axle shafts, now you've successfully moved your weak link more inboard to your ring & pinion. Then you spring for a cryo'd gear set, now you twist your driveshaft into a pretzel, so off to High Angle Driveline to have Jesse build you a custom heavy wall shaft......then one day you find yourself sitting in the middle of a rocky trail for hours waiting for thirteen people to cobble their junk back together and you think to yourself....."it sure was a lot more fun when I was on 35's and out trail running and overcoming challenges while still being able to drive home in comfort."
Ain't that the truth. Almost done with this guy, 5.38s, Eaton e-locker, truss, high steer. No it's not going in my 6G, but the axle build cost more than the rig it's going in.

PXL_20230119_231621107.jpg

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ain't that the truth. Almost done with this guy, 5.38s, Eaton e-locker, truss, high steer. No it's not going in my 6G, but the axle build cost more than the rig it's going in.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. PXL_20230119_231621107
I don't see the full hydro steer set up? Stop pinching pennies!

The problem with a built rig is not running the harder trails and lines. The truck I miss most is my 85 Hilux when it was on 33" with a welded rear end. Once built it was just to much truck for anything you could run by yourself and when you broke it was always a big item. I guess you have to over modify a vehicle to many times to get it out of your system. Poor Tricky is going to realize he has first gen money in a Bronco 2...

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was running a Solid brand D60 front with 35 spline chromoly shafts and a shaved 14-bolt in the back....I still had no luck with front digs, I was so bad at it that I received a trophy :ROFLMAO:.

I once grenaded a Dynatrac D60 so bad that I could never get the backlash on the new gears set up properly again.....

There's always going to be a bigger and badder rig out there on the trails, just sit back and learn to enjoy watching them destroy thousands of dollars as you cruise on by.....don't worry, they're likely looking at that pretty Bronco pass by thinking "I sure do miss the good 'ole days".

Cars, motorcycles, stereos, knives and knife sharpening . . . all of life is just a bunch of rabbit holes waiting for us!

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Exactly. Fun is relative, as we keep telling people. I had fun easily clearing obstacles in my double locked XJ on 33's that Wranglers on 35's and 37's had trouble with. I had a blast wheeling my 2" lift unlocked XJ on 30's on Fins and Things in Moab, with the motorhome tow bar on the front and sway bar hooked up and street pressure and folks in 2x2's and Jeeps asking how I got in there. Also climbing the Wall on Poukeepsie Gulch in CO in it when everyone else had at least 35's and lockers. Big is fun, no question about it, but doing more with less is also very fun and rewarding.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Literally where I am in my life

Status
Not open for further replies.