Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Turns out that Ford was listening to their customers and it serves a purpose. AKA: We should complain about it on a forum!

The topic came up today on Jalopnik and it's an interesting read with some great comments at the bottom. Most of the comments get top marks for snark and creativity, meaning some of us B6g members need to step your games up!

https://jalopnik.com/why-does-a-modern-truck-like-the-2022-ford-f-150-lightn-1846955635

The answer, it seems, is both technical and demographic.
I’ve covered the tech behind car radio antennae before, and you may recall that the reason old-school car antennas (both plurals are acceptable, I’m just mixing it up) were as long as they were is because they work best if they’re a specific fraction of the wavelength they’re trying to pick up — and in the case of FM radio, that comes to about 1/4 wavelength, or 31 inches.

Those shark fin and short, stumpy antennae have little coils of wire inside them to get to the proper length, but the truth is they’re actually less optimal for picking up FM signals, and significantly worse at picking up amplitude-modulated (AM) radio signals. They’re known as “electrically small antennas” and they have well-known and understood limitations.
Now, for most modern car buyers, less-than-optimal FM isn’t really a deal breaker (it’s generally good enough) and picking up AM is just not something most SUV or car buyers care about much at all.
Truck drivers, Ford has found, are different.
In talking to Mike Levine, Ford’s Product Communications Manager, he summed up why Ford still uses the old whips like this:
The mast antenna supports the AM/FM performance best over other design options. Rural AM FTW!
I think the “rural AM” bit is the key here — if there’s a type of broadcast more likely to be consumed by F-150 buyers than mainstream SUV/passenger car buyers, it’s rural AM stations. This must be important enough that Ford is willing to keep putting old whip antennas on their trucks, even if it means they don’t get to just dip into the parts bin for a shark fin antenna, and they have to place GPS/cell antennae in another unit somewhere.
Photo of the Bronco's whip antenna

2021 Bronco antenna factory whip style.jpeg
Reminds me of the switch my grandmother would pull fro the tree in the backyard when we failed to listen the first time she told us something 😂

Parents with unruly kids will appreciate the multi-use of this antenna. My kids are grown and I plan on spoiling my grandkids, but I appreciate the friendly reminder of the good ole days and the encouragement it gives me to listen the first time lol
Sponsored

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally love AM radio, KNBR 680 listener. The antenna stays.

Unless of course I decide to take it off at some point 🤷‍♂️

shieldsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OMG, you just brought back some childhood memories there.

Equis-Ay-something-something, Tijuana, Mexico. The Mighty 690! 😄
I can hear that tagline in my head like it was yesterday! The Mighty 690 and KROQ were the on-air voices of my childhood.

Sponsored

Seahawks83

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f-250- 1975 f100
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They make a great gun cleaning rod in a pinch. , and in the mountains of Montana, where stations are few and fair between they get much better reception

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turns out that Ford was listening to their customers and it serves a purpose. AKA: We should complain about it on a forum!

The topic came up today on Jalopnik and it's an interesting read with some great comments at the bottom. Most of the comments get top marks for snark and creativity, meaning some of us B6g members need to step your games up!

https://jalopnik.com/why-does-a-modern-truck-like-the-2022-ford-f-150-lightn-1846955635

The answer, it seems, is both technical and demographic.
I’ve covered the tech behind car radio antennae before, and you may recall that the reason old-school car antennas (both plurals are acceptable, I’m just mixing it up) were as long as they were is because they work best if they’re a specific fraction of the wavelength they’re trying to pick up — and in the case of FM radio, that comes to about 1/4 wavelength, or 31 inches.

Those shark fin and short, stumpy antennae have little coils of wire inside them to get to the proper length, but the truth is they’re actually less optimal for picking up FM signals, and significantly worse at picking up amplitude-modulated (AM) radio signals. They’re known as “electrically small antennas” and they have well-known and understood limitations.
Now, for most modern car buyers, less-than-optimal FM isn’t really a deal breaker (it’s generally good enough) and picking up AM is just not something most SUV or car buyers care about much at all.
Truck drivers, Ford has found, are different.
In talking to Mike Levine, Ford’s Product Communications Manager, he summed up why Ford still uses the old whips like this:
The mast antenna supports the AM/FM performance best over other design options. Rural AM FTW!
I think the “rural AM” bit is the key here — if there’s a type of broadcast more likely to be consumed by F-150 buyers than mainstream SUV/passenger car buyers, it’s rural AM stations. This must be important enough that Ford is willing to keep putting old whip antennas on their trucks, even if it means they don’t get to just dip into the parts bin for a shark fin antenna, and they have to place GPS/cell antennae in another unit somewhere.
Photo of the Bronco's whip antenna

2021 Bronco antenna factory whip style.jpeg
While technically correct, 'antennae' is generally used when referencing insects; and 'antennas' is generally used when referencing man-made radio reception devices.

fr8ycat

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150 FX4, 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's what happened here, they suckered everyone into "reserving" with no promise of WHEN you'd get it.
Let me get this straight. You feel you were "SUCKERED" into reserving something "WITH NO PROMISE"?

If you weren't promised anything...how were you "SUCKERED"?

BareBack

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F 150 XLT Reg. cab FX4 5.0 Coyote
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These are not the old fashioned antennas that were solid and retracted in three parts of a whole. These antennas are flexible and wrapped with large coils with height for reception. No conspiracy to it at all! I like em.

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the whip antenna!! It's a good back up for cooking hotdogs and marshmallows if you for get your cooking accessories at home and you don't want to use a dirty stick :p

Sponsored

Prkelly

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its funny since I heard a lot of people saying they are putting in CB or FRS/GMRS Antennas.
Ford Bronco The Bronco still uses a whip antenna because AM/FM radio 1622123815488

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

While technically correct, 'antennae' is generally used when referencing insects; and 'antennas' is generally used when referencing man-made radio reception devices.
its funny since I heard a lot of people saying they are putting in CB or FRS/GMRS Antennas.
Ford Bronco The Bronco still uses a whip antenna because AM/FM radio 1622123815488
Those are so you can reach AAA towing 24hr a day

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

my F150 had a fin and a whip. I hated the whip since I always had to take it off to go through the car wash and always seemed to be more than finger tight. For the Bronco, I am most likely converting it for CB which can double for a sand dunes flag.