First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly, best of both worlds!!! It can easily be replaced with a stubby antenna. Some of us old farts like our AM/FM/HD radio. It's a great source for LOCAL sports talk. My BMW's shark fin antenna flakes out a lot on HD broadcasts. Do I want a long whip antenna on my M2, HELL NO....But on a flying brick like a Bronco or Wrangler? ALL DAY LONG...Sounds like millennial snowflake mall crawler problem to me.
I think some just enjoy being complainers.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The mast antenna supports the AM/FM performance best over other design options. Rural AM FTW!
I think a great design would have been to do all of the other antennas through the hidden "shark fin" and then let AM people either order the whip and include a screw-on cap for the rest of us to delete the AM antenna. Basically, treat the AM antenna like the smoker's kits today.

The only times I've listened to AM in the past 20+ years are when I accidentally switched to AM until I was able to switch back to FM. 😄

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't know an antenna was something I was supposed to even think about, thank you B6G for setting me straight.
You are supposed to think, fret, complain and worry about every...single...thing.

But this is not a bad thing. The goal is to get you to be so totally disappointed with what your perception of the Bronco is going to be that by the time you actually get yours, you will be totally in love with it because it exceeded your expecations in every way. 😄

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a great design would have been to do all of the other antennas through the hidden "shark fin" and then let AM people either order the whip and include a screw-on cap for the rest of us to delete the AM antenna. Basically, treat the AM antenna like the smoker's kits today.

The only times I've listened to AM in the past 20+ years are when I accidentally switched to AM until I was able to switch back to FM. 😄
Most AM is simulcast via HD FM...Hence the whip antenna which receives HD broadcasts much better.

Reactions: abe

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup we all have to suffer with looking at or removing that museum piece for the few boomers left that listen to terrestrial radio.
Boomers clinging to AM
Gen X clinging to FM
Millennials clinging to CDs

Full disclosure: I'm Gen X and I resemble that remark. 😄

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most AM is simulcast via HD FM...Hence the whip antenna which receives HD broadcasts much better.
I would not have thought about how AM works, since I haven't even thought of AM at all. 😄 That said, our seven year-old Escape has the shark fin with a little one-foot antenna that sticks out of it and it works great for FM and FM HD. I don't know how well the regular shark fins work for FM/HD.

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Makes sense and I’m glad. I listen to podcasts via Bluetooth or local AM sports radio. That’s it. Almost never ever music.

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine will have a cell boost, a gmrs antenna and a cb post so I can talk to those guys who have not bought into gmrs yet; in addition to the am/fm. I guess when you only mall crawl, having a sleek roof line is important.

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would not have thought about how AM works, since I haven't even thought of AM at all. 😄 That said, our seven year-old Escape has the shark fin with a little one-foot antenna that sticks out of it and it works great for FM and FM HD. I don't know how well the regular shark fins work for FM/HD.
Kinda sucks on my BMW and I live close to the tower. So I prefer a whip antenna.

Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You could have caught the Mighty 690 in Canada with a whip!
OMG, you just brought back some childhood memories there.

Equis-Ay-something-something, Tijuana, Mexico. The Mighty 690! 😄

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
As long it it comes off. Haven't listened the garbage ads, talk etcon FM/AM in years, with all the alternatives (Sirius, Apple car play, phone blue tooth, Pandora, Amazon music, I tunes, etc) I just carry the antenna in the back of my Chevy in case I need to beat the bricks off someone with it.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
My only question is can you remove it and install a CB antenna or something else there. Maybe mount a flag for the dunes.

All the radio is (and has ever been as I know it) is ads interspersed with the same damn song you listened to 10 minutes ago. Switch to streaming. Pay the monthly fee to download songs if you're often out of cell coverage or have a limited data plan.
Millennials
Sponsored