Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I inspected the shackle mounts in Moab. Factory shackles are mounted with three (I assume hardened) bolts. They bolt to a flat metal plate welded to the end of the frame. The plate is , frankly, not very heavy but ford apparently thinks it's strong enough for towing and winching.

I'm getting a BB with the Base Bumper and plan to replace the lower tow loops with a shackle adapter. Each is held to the under side of the frame with two bolts. Definitely want locktite there. They are at the correct height for my tow rig. The upper shackle location is too high I think. .
Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread Screenshot_20210402-060637_Samsung capture

Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread Screenshot_20210402-060637_Samsung capture

Then I would install the upper shackles behind the rectangular 'box' for safety cables and get unstuck towing, like the one on the right in this photo.

If you use a folding bar that stays on the towed it would interfere with the intercooler and sensor box when folded if you use the upper mounts.

All this is tentative pending a better idea. Your comments would be welcome.
I was also worried about the strength of the shackle eyelets attachment points, although the height isn't a worry as my RV has a high receiver. I like adding better ones and using the OEM ones for safety chains, or vice-a-versa. My tow bar (blueOx) stores on the RV so no issue there. Do you have a name or link for the shackle adapters? BlueOx makes the tow bar end adapters to connect to the eyelets, and I will re-use my Invisobrake system.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They are more than enough. No need to replace them.
Ford would not put something on their vehicle which could prove a safety issue and open them up to lawsuits.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was also worried about the strength of the shackle eyelets attachment points, although the height isn't a worry as my RV has a high receiver. I like adding better ones and using the OEM ones for safety chains, or vice-a-versa. My tow bar (blueOx) stores on the RV so no issue there. Do you have a name or link for the shackle adapters? BlueOx makes the tow bar end adapters to connect to the eyelets, and I will re-use my Invisobrake system.
Shackle adapters for Ranger: Rough Country RS152. A little leery of them for construction quality and they attach with only 2 bolts. I think they'd be good for you as safety chain mounts if you use the factory shackles as bar mount. I'm thinking of the opposite to get my bar low. I use and really like RVI Brake.
Sponsored