Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This thread is for everyone, from neophytes to old-timers.

Which winch do you intend to purchase for your Bronco?
Which brands/models do you recommend to buy or avoid?
Steel vs. Synthetic?
Do you plan to bring one that is already on another vehicle?
Techniques?
Accessories?
Post your sexy winch photos (not wench) and videos here (installations, mods, etc.).

After roll-out, it is mandatory that you take a trophy photo/video of your Bronco & winch whenever you use it in the wild and post it here.
Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm hoping that another mounting solution is figured out because it doesn't look like I can do both 4-down towing and have a winch.
Likely need a new aftermarket bumper to solve the winch forward offset.

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm hoping that another mounting solution is figured out because it doesn't look like I can do both 4-down towing and have a winch.
You can put a hitch mount bracket on the front/back and have a winch put on that way. Assume it will have something if the sorts already to be towed.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can put a hitch mount bracket on the front/back and have a winch put on that way. Assume it will have something if the sorts already to be towed.
The winch will interfere with the function of the tow bar for flat towing behind a motorhome.

Example w/o a winch.
Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread 1599925055389

I'm not saying it cannot be done, just doesn't look like it. Need more details.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am leaning towards a Harbor Freight Badlands with Synthetic line. Now that I have seen the modular mounted winch equipped Bronco, I am even more focused on the smallest and lightest model that is rated adequately (8k lbs?). If one of the top rated (Warn Zeon?) is lighter, I will pay more, but they all seem pretty similar. 90-100lbs with steel, loose about 18-20 lbs. synthetic. I may wait and try to put together a hitch receiver based set up, since the modular bumper hangs it out so far already. I will be curious what the aftermarket comes up with.

Last edited:

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you get the steel modular bumper which has the tow eyelets instead of loops or hooks along with a universal bumper end adapter kit from BlueOx you will be able to flat tow. That is what I will do, along with a Smittybuilt low profile 10K synthetic line winch. My only concern is the trail camera height, it may work with the low profile winch or will need a re-locating kit, not sure. The tow eyes do show below the bumper, might have to do a drop receiver to keep the towbar level.

GEP

Badlands
First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not being nuts about the winch way out front on the modular bumper, I think I'm going to stick with my super old school and last ditch solution. A Tirfor and a pulley in my recovery bag. It will take all day but you'll get out. (I am not the kind of guy trying to get stuck though)

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you get the steel modular bumper which has the tow eyelets instead of loops or hooks along with a universal bumper end adapter kit from BlueOx you will be able to flat tow. That is what I will do, along with a Smittybuilt low profile 10K synthetic line winch. My only concern is the trail camera height, it may work with the low profile winch or will need a re-locating kit, not sure. The tow eyes do show below the bumper, might have to do a drop receiver to keep the towbar level.

Has the tow eyelets been confirmed as a flat-tow hitch point? I've been wondering about those eyelets for a while now.

Typical hitch point are wider to prevent sway.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has the tow eyelets been confirmed as a flat-tow hitch point? I've been wondering about those eyelets for a while now.

Typical hitch point are wider to prevent sway.
The hitch points on my BlueOx base plate are 24" center to center, hard to tell but the photos I have seen show the eyelets at least that far if not a bit more more. Remember if the hitch points are wider than needed it shortens the distance between receiver and toad bumper unless you use a receiver extension. As for you other question I haven't seen a Esourcebook for the Bronco yet, only the Sport.

Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hitch points on my BlueOx base plate are 24" center to center, hard to tell but the photos I have seen show the eyelets at least that far if not a bit more more. Remember if the hitch points are wider than needed it shortens the distance between receiver and toad bumper unless you use a receiver extension. As for you other question I haven't seen a Esourcebook for the Bronco yet, only the Sport.

Yeah, I see. The Bronco loops look correct for frame connected towing.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread 1599927934416

Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread 1599928270080

Last edited:

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I checked with a source and was told the back of the eyelets are where the bumper attaches to the frame rails. I would maybe replace the OEM bolts with case hardened steel and locktight, and perhaps drill and add a bolt or two, will have to see. Had a friend lose a toad when the base plate broke free, seemed he didn't use 'red' locktight.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have had good success with harbor freight 12,000 lb winches. The only reason I have had 3 different ones is selling them to sweeten the jeep sale. I technically had 4 because one broke while pivoting a suburban on 22s around and pulling it uphill out of a mud pit with a cj7. The cable piled up and broke the housing bars. Spotter error. I actually repaired it and used it for another few months before taking it back to for an exchange. When you can buy 3 of em for the price of a comperable Warn its hard to pass up. Changing to a synthetic line isnt a bad idea for front end weight savings though. However I would keep the cable because sometimes you are way out there.

Personally I was really hoping that Ford would go full baddass on us and give us a central mounted system. There is an english company that made a hardcore toy offroader some years back that had a central mounted winch under a floor panel. Then it had its line go forward to the front fairlead with a pulley block for a front hook, then it took a U-turn and went back through a passage way to a rear fairlead. The winch was protected from the elements and didnt block engine air flow(good for intercoolers). You lose about 20 ft of cable and add a lil more weight but it is all centered and low. It also allows you to recover yourself and someone else at the same time. Something that could be handy in quite a few dangerous situations.

I think a winch like that standard on a Badlands model and optional with Sasquatches would have put Jeep, Toyota, and Landrover out of the offroad business.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Back in the day Milemarker Winches made Harbor Freights winches. I had an 8K on one of my crawlers and I used it hundreds of times without fail. The only thing about the winch it was a bit slower than my Warn winches; nonetheless good kit. I paid with a discount $250. I will go this route again.

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a winch on my last wrangler and used it precious little. I always lamented having to drive that extra weight around 95 percent of the time I knew I wouldn’t need it.
Has anyone mounted a winch to a rack made to fit in the 2 inch receiver? I wondered if t was more bother than it was worth ( or not).
Sponsored