BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going to have to wait til I get my hands on a Bronco to figure out a winch I can make work with the front camera. I don't want to have to relocate the front cam as I think that may skew the 360 "drone" view. And who knows what sensors Ford has tucked behind the center front bumper.
Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am going to have to wait til I get my hands on a Bronco to figure out a winch I can make work with the front camera. I don't want to have to relocate the front cam as I think that may skew the 360 "drone" view. And who knows what sensors Ford has tucked behind the center front bumper.
Then the Ford Engineers need to go figure that shit out and devise a relo kit that works or ensure that the available 200 accessories do not compromise the existing design. They have all been schooled in Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing...open up your process engineering toolbox boys & girls and take out that FMEA (Failure Modes & Effects Analysis) template and get started!

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a smitty on my Jeep and side by side. It’s frowned upon by some, but I’ve used it a few time on some trails and never had an issue...point of a winch is never hopefully use it lol. Synthetic over cable most definitely...for the bronco, i might splurge a little and get something “fancier” that people won’t look down upon so i don’t have to hear it lol. Install was a PITA so might just get the Warn from factory to save the hassle.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am thinking the same way. If the modular (or an aftermarket supplier) can accommodate a 2” receiver mount in the front, I would definitely consider a removable set up. If I can get the mount, winch and synthetic cable in about 100lbs, it wouldn’t be much of a problem to mount and dismount. Here in MI, not having it exposed to all the salt in the suburbs and also not exposing the synthetic line to the sun (I know a cover takes care of this) would be a bonus too. Using it on the rear is a potential bonus, probably adds $100 to the price with another power distribution point, connectors and heavy gauge wiring. Downsides-the one time I need it, it won’t be mounted, the look may be clunky when it is mounted.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have an Engo winch mounted to one of those Front Reciever mounts. Never got stuck to really need it but I've used it just to test.

Got one of those quick connects mounted in the grill... pretty nice setup.

But one drawback... I only hook it up when I know I'm going off roading. So it is not available if I just happen to be out or maybe do a little exploring while visiting a new area on a road trip..... so with the Bronco, I was planning on changing to a permanent bumper mount just so I know It will be ready whenever I'm out.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread 20190303_083850

Sponsored

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I apologize if I’m repeating a question that’s been answered before, but will the factory winch be operable with the accessory switches in the cab? To me, that would be really slick & worth adding on. If it isn’t, would it be hard to set it up like that?

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Smitty built is a no brainer on cost and line speed. Definitely want synthetic if your going to move it around from front to rear. You save like 25lbs by getting rid of the wire line.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I apologize if I’m repeating a question that’s been answered before, but will the factory winch be operable with the accessory switches in the cab? To me, that would be really slick & worth adding on. If it isn’t, would it be hard to set it up like that?
I'm clueless, but just guessing..
No. You can't pull those kind of amps. Now if you bought a rated relay, then yes... I could see hooking the relay to the switch so that the winch would not be powered until you flip it.

Unless you were talking about actually using those for the In and Out signal... but even then, I would think you'd need relays...

Which gives me an idea... wonder if you could mount the winch controller to that dash bar?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. You can't pull those kind of amps. Now if you bought a rated relay, then yes... I could see hooking the relay to the switch so that the winch would not be powered until you flip it.

Unless you were talking about actually using those for the In and Out signal... but even then, I would think you'd need relays...

Which gives me an idea... wonder if you could mount the winch controller to that dash bar?
Even the harbor freight winches now have a wireless controller available. Plugs into the solenoid block and your controller is wireless like an old fashioned TV remote. Biggest problem? DO NOT DROP IT IN THE MUD ONCE YOU ARE OUT! Or at least keep the regular plug in control handy!

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We don't know enough yet what the final solution is going to look like, or even where the camera is going to be mounted. Depending upon where it is mounted, though, keep in mind that a lot of the current winches can have their solenoids mounted remotely - which *might* provide the needed clearance if Ford drops the ball.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Bronco Aux Switches, cough... wire hookups are under the hood.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread c3272160-b1d6-4bd0-8297-b29f66b31fc2-

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You wouldn't want a toggle switch for that...you want momentary contact.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a smitty on my Jeep and side by side. It’s frowned upon by some, but I’ve used it a few time on some trails and never had an issue...point of a winch is never hopefully use it lol. Synthetic over cable most definitely...for the bronco, i might splurge a little and get something “fancier” that people won’t look down upon so i don’t have to hear it lol. Install was a PITA so might just get the Warn from factory to save the hassle.
Actually I think the newer line of Smittybuilt's are pretty nice, especially for the price. In a perfect world Superwinch would never have been sold off (and killed off the Exp line in the process). Yeah, Warn is the 800 lb gorilla but damn that's some pricey stuff. In any event I'm not real keen on the mounting solution we've seen so far on the Bronco steel bumper. I'm going Badlands so that will be my bumper but I'll probably hold off on a winch solution until I see what aftermarket bumpers, and winch mounting solutions, are offered. And count me in for synthetic.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I doubt it'll come like that from the factory. But it can be done with a Warn power interrupt kit, to use an auxiliary switch as an on/off. For operation, use the remote.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah that was what I was getting at primarily... a Master power switch if you will that cuts out power to the winch... then a controller (like the wireless) to actually operate.
Sponsored