First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m going with a Warn Zeon 10S but not the Ford one. Gonna get a complete replacement front bumper. It’s expensive but with this kind of stuff I’d rather pay more for peace of mind. Also want a manual winch clutch and a wired remote...less things to go wrong/potentially leave me stranded down the road.
Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would recommend, that no matter what option you go with, make sure it's at least rated for 9000lbs
You want to ensure you have more power than you need for a single line pull. You never want to depend on a snatch block, because you might not have anything to attach it to.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Late to the discussion but I've run winches on my Jeeps for decades now. A couple of observations:
  1. Get the right size winch. The rule of thumb is 1.5-2x the weight of the biggest vehicle you intend to winch out. This is because you're not always pulling the vehicle that's free rolling on flat ground. You're pulling it when it's stuck. And if you're like I was way back when, that included pulling out some full size pickups/Broncos/K5 Blazers/Ramchargers/etc. So make sure you have enough winch to get the job done for whoever you are out off road with.
  2. Way more important than the winch, get a good battery. Some kind of AGM with a high CCA rating is vital. Electric winches pull upwords of 400A or more. There's no way your alternator will supply that. It'll come from the battery. So make sure you have one that can handle it.
  3. Hitch mounted winches look appealing until you actually run one. If you get stuck off road, especially in mud, you may find it difficult or even impossible to get the winch installed on your hitch. If you set it up before you head out, you will have a big long thing sticking out catching on everything. I personally wouldn't run one on any of my vehicles. YMMV.
  4. For a hard mount on the vehicle, get a good quality one that is up to the job. I've seen way too many cheap mounting options that pull right off the vehicle when you actually use the winch. So go with a good brand and not some guy selling cheap junk on Craigslist.
  5. Don't get a cheap winch. Get a quality brand. There are several good quality brands out there to choose from. I have two winches that have been installed on several vehicles over the years. They both still run fine. The Warn XD9000 is from 2002 and still pulling fine after almost 20 years. The Warn M8274 is from 1977. Yes, it's over 40 years old and still runs great. How many cheap winches will still be running after 40 years?
  6. Spend some time learning how to use your winch. There's a lot of garbage video out there on YouTube but not all of it is bunk. Find someone with some experience or a good training class if there's one near you. Learn how to properly set up the rigging. Learn how to winch safely and properly so that when the time comes you aren't just some clueless idiot with a tool they've never used.
  7. Get the right gear to go with the winch. Extra straps, winch extension lines, shackles, snatch blocks, tree savers, etc. should fill up a bag so you can handle anything that shows up.
If you just want a cool looking accessory on the front of your Bronco so you look cool, get whatever looks good. If you expect that you'll actually want to use it, do it right. Get a good one. Get the supporting gear. Learn how to use it.

Last edited:

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I inspected the shackle mounts in Moab. Factory shackles are mounted with three (I assume hardened) bolts. They bolt to a flat metal plate welded to the end of the frame. The plate is , frankly, not very heavy but ford apparently thinks it's strong enough for towing and winching.

I'm getting a BB with the Base Bumper and plan to replace the lower tow loops with a shackle adapter. Each is held to the under side of the frame with two bolts. Definitely want locktite there. They are at the correct height for my tow rig. The upper shackle location is too high I think. .
2021Bronco_Series_BASE.jpg

514Qpei4jHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Then I would install the upper shackles behind the rectangular 'box' for safety cables and get unstuck towing, like the one on the right in this photo.
2.3L Manual Sasquatch Package 2021 Bronco 1.jpg

If you use a folding bar that stays on the towed it would interfere with the intercooler and sensor box when folded if you use the upper mounts.

All this is tentative pending a better idea. Your comments would be welcome.
Unlikely the bolts are hardened above any standard grade. Hardening is good for friction wear, not so much for shear strength. Excess hardening makes steel brittle. The steel alloy has a much greater effect on shear/tensile strength.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Been running a SuperWinch 9500lbs with synthetic cable on my Jeep for something like 7 years now. It's been extremely reliable with plenty of power. It's totally underused now with the type of wheeling I do so for that it won't be transferring over to the Bronco.

Skimmed my pics and I don't see any of it fully installed with the cover off and I'm too lazy to go outside and do that so here it is freshly installed before spooling the cable.
Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread 1617318974811

Sponsored

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Interesting. It looks like the 7500-lbs option includes a mount that fits Class III receiver hitch. Looks like that would be less expensive than purchasing a hitch and a separate receiver cradle.
I would buy Harbor Freight before that no name. The Badland has a good reputation amongst a number of wheelers per @Gr8Hortoni.

With their standard 20% off coupons this setup is around $350 and it is rated 12K.

https://www.harborfreight.com/zxr-1...yLpJytzdT0DlEhPOK8QMXY8rmQkvz8OxoCE8wQAvD_BwE

Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread 63770_W3

https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-receiver-mount-for-winches-69106.html

Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread image_20646

Last edited:

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pros: Harbor Freight has charts that prove the Badland winch is better than a more expensive Warn. :) Plus I ordered a Badlands so how cool to have the trim level printed on the winch.

Cons: That cradle is only rated for a 6000 to 9000 lb winch.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That ain't no portable!

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is my thought and also pre run another wiring quick connect to the rear and maybe mount it right next to the towing wiring/ receiver to protect it from damage

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bought this for my new bronco during black fri sale it comes to house and gf finds it on porch and says thanks baby i love my winch we stuck it on her jeep ,oh well
Ford Bronco The Definitive Winch Thread Screenshot_20210402-060040_Gallery

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does she know you ordered a Bronco yet?
Sponsored