First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Evidently, Warthog was not chosen because they thought people wouldn’t understand the meaning.

I’m my opinion, this was a mistake on Ford’s part. Warthog was the way to go and would be the beginning of a new icon for the Bronco brand. Instead, they are tethering Bronco back to parent brand Ford.

At this point, the only thing I could see happening is Ford calling the 37” package the, “Warthog Package”.

It would result in people just referring to 37” Broncos as Warthogs. Kind of like how Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel is just referred to as a Cummins. Or a Mustang GT is referred to as a 5.0.

The package/option transcends the original name of the product. I’m sure you guys can think of several other examples.

Why The “Raptor” Won Out Over “Warthog” For The High-Performance Bronco
Although I’m sure no one minds what it’s called so long as it’s good, for a long time, it looked like Ford might confer the title “Warthog” on its high-performance Bronco instead of “Raptor.”​
Indeed, the automaker went through the trouble of filing a patent application for the name and even put some references to the name in its camouflage. And yet, after all that, Ford decided to borrow the F-150’s Raptor designation.​
In the end, Mark Grueber, marketing manager for the Ford Bronco, told Muscle Cars & Trucks that it was that familiarity that made the decision.​
“People have a general sense of what a Raptor is,” said Grueber. “There’s a ton of equity in the Raptor name now that it’s been out in the marketplace a dozen years, and I think it’s easily understood what that brand means. And that’s what is most important. It was developed and intended to be a Raptor.”​
Indeed, the truck’s success took the world by storm, leading to competitors like the Ram 1500 TRX. Now in its third generation, the F-150 Raptor is a well-established brand with plenty of cachet.​
“I do think it’s a unique time in the automotive space right now,” Grueber said. “My first exposure was as the F-150 brand manager, and I helped launch the original Raptor… nobody saw it coming, and when it came you couldn’t get it for years.”​
The Warthog name, on the other hand, has some pretty strong connotations that aren’t necessarily related to Ford. The “Warthog,” of course, is the name of the military troop vehicle in the Halo series.​
It’s also the name of a warplane used by the U.S. Air Force. Indeed, hidden in the Bronco Raptor’s camouflage is the term “BRRRT,” seemingly a reference to a meme that, according to Know Your Meme, attempts to imitate the sound plane’s guns. Since that meme directly references the taking of human lives, its use could be considered to be in bad taste by many, including this writer.​
If I really go on to what I want to say I will be banned…. So I will just say ridiculous

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The explanation put forth makes zero sense. Ford apparently didn’t see any customer confusion when they named the electric SUV the Mustang Mach E. Ford should have named their electric SUV the “ Mercury”, and left Mach well enough alone.
Whenever I point one out to someone, I can’t bring myself to call it a Mustang or Mach or any combination. It doesn’t feel right. I always say the electric Ford.
As for Warthog, I like the name and was hoping it would stay. I guess a Warthog package would be almost as good. Not naming it Warthog because the plane kills? What do they think Raptors do. Oh yeah, oooh scary guns, I’m trembling with fear.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

everyone can throw in their 2 cents here, and the people on the internet love to know more than everyone else just because they think that way... but I'm sure Ford did plenty of focus groups, market research, blah blah blah and landed on what they landed on, because that's what the majority of the people wanted.

I know this forum may disagree, but the people that work at Ford aren't idiots. In fact, they're probably all graduates from some of the best schools this country has to offer.

plus they've could've called it 'pile of poop' and people would've still bought it within seconds. 😂
The people that work at Ford are idiots, bacause they graduated from some of the best schools this country has to offer.
There, fixed it for you.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Whenever I point one out to someone, I can’t bring myself to call it a Mustang or Mach or any combination. It doesn’t feel right. I always say the electric Ford.
As for Warthog, I like the name and was hoping it would stay. I guess a Warthog package would be almost as good. Not naming it Warthog because the plane kills? What do they think Raptors do. Oh yeah, oooh scary guns, I’m trembling with fear.
Some fail to understand history or that...

maxresdefault.jpg

Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i think the main reason is the Ford Raptor name. Every car person knows the name. now if you said Ford Warthog, people would question it, and Ford would need to invest marketing on it instead of using a name/trim name that they already have.

all the people getting butt hurt about the plane/taking lives/freedom need to relax a bit.

The Dmv

Base
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2d Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Guys, guys, come on. It’s been clearly demonstrated over the last year and a half that the Bronco‘s handlers have their fingers on the pulse of the customer base. They’ve been making the right decisions at every turn. How could they possibly mess up the Hogwart? Right?

OJ Simpson

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My dealer says that they may get one Bronco Raptor. A month ago they had 28 on the list....

Schnabby

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JeepJL4dr,Raptor6.2,JeepJK2dr,M4Conv,65Must,74CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here we go again Ford. Raptor means something to those that own one. Its a baja capable pickup truck. As mentioned earlier we refer to them as Gen 1 or Get 2, and 6.2, etc. Calling a Bronco a Raptor is just stupid. You won't see Jeep add a model and start calling it a TRX. Just keep on eroding. At the rate my Bronco reservation / order is going I may just flip it and get a Gen 3 Raptor.....assuming Ford can even build that.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So ... Decided by the same groupthink that gave us the Bronco Sport? I'm tired of family whatever looking and named cars, it's lazy engineering and advertising.

Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does it honestly make a difference what they call it? It's going to sell and the waiting list is going to be long. They could call it the Bronco Molester and it wouldn't matter.

El Bronco Blanco

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer XLT, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The explanation put forth makes zero sense. Ford apparently didn’t see any customer confusion when they named the electric SUV the Mustang Mach E. Ford should have named their electric SUV the “ Mercury”, and left Mach well enough alone.
They should have continued the "Fusion" name, not use the name Mercury......... IMO

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Typical Ford. 100% marketing and name recognition. Same reason the Bronco Sport is a Bronco Sport.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If history is any indication, by the time Ford gets the Raptor/Warthog to owners nobody is gonna care what it's called.
Sponsored