Sponsored

The "Safe" Limit, cutting out all the crap.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3L ecoboost safe limit is around 400ftlb MAX with considerations for longevity..... 350-360 ftlb is where the respected tuners are cutting the torque off, specifically under 3500 RPM because of cylinder pressure. You can make more but it will expose any weakness in the system. Torque is the result of cylinder pressure, but it also lifts heads, bends rods, and exposes weak gaskets. I've been trying to find the limits of the longblock, because that will kinda determine what upgrades are worth the increased performance ceiling they offer, or what upgrades are the best value.

Reference 1:
https://www.focusrs.org/threads/how-much-is-too-much-torque-conflicting-info.49713/

Some hidden gems in that thread. Like:
1. How Ford controls excessive torque with throttle valve and wastegate control.
2. How Ford builds computer control systems in "module format" to work across platfroms, IE trail control.
3. Vaguely describes how the "torque curve" below 3500 is harder on the engine than the curve shifted higher in RPM with less cylinder pressure.

Reference 2:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/30310...le-684-hp-from-2-3-liter-ford-focus-rs-engine

Major points:
1. ALL DI. ALL DIRECT INJECTION. http://www.xtreme-di.com/ Is the supplier here.... This is running E30, but its all DI no IDI or port injection. If you follow me you know. DI systems struggle to FLOW the fuel for the insane HP applications.
2. "Lag" the big turbo for the high HP takes longer to fully spool. Listen close to the soundtrack, the turbo isn't fully "lit" until about 4500 rpm, IMO.
3. E30...... even High test octane isn't enough knock control, meth is needed.....
4. Street or trailability of 1-3...... depending on your application.

Reference 3:

https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/pr...-long-block-for-ford-rs-2-3l-rated-700hp.html

1. This is a "700 hp" bottom end build.
2. 2.0L block...(solid deck)
3. Balance shaft delete
4. Keyed Crank, Timing Gear & Crank Pulley

Cross Reference 2.7 TT on big turbos:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-rwhp-shows-off-at-the-drag-strip-137912.html

7MTI550 is the Manual transmission going into the Bronco. Its only rated for 400 lbft.

Love to hear thoughts on the topic from others in the know.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The "safe limits" on the 2.3 are probably right where the 2.7 get interesting.

I don't know but I'm watching what should be an informative discussion.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sounds like I won't bother tuning my 2.3L then since I can already get 325 stock with premium fuel.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just get a 2.7. Or a superduty with a power stroke so you can really tune it up.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Livernois has a deck brace that is supposed to take the HP limit to about 800. 2.0L blocks are preferred by a lot of serious builders.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Livernois has a deck brace that is supposed to take the HP limit to about 800. 2.0L blocks are preferred by a lot of serious builders.
Updated with mo' links.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys might as well be speaking Urdu.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I really hope there’s a tuner Bronco scene. I personally am not into that whole crowd but:

1. I would laugh my ass off watching a little 2 door base 2.7 on drags slicks running like crazy in the 1/4 mile
2. It would offer a ton of upgrade parts for off road racing too.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really hope there’s a tuner Bronco scene. I personally am not into that whole crowd but:

1. I would laugh my ass off watching a little 2 door base 2.7 on drags slicks running like crazy in the 1/4 mile
2. It would offer a ton of upgrade parts for off road racing too.
These engines are "old" it's all figured out. How much do you want to make? the transmissions are the unknowns.....

Mickey ET streets front and rear? why not? I'll build it for ya. I think we can hit high 10s on a 2.7/ auto.....

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im more concerned about the transmission, always internals to deal with factory limits if need be.

Arent these the same engines in the Mustang? Sure itll be fine, though I was just thinking FMIC+Charge Pipes/HFC/CAI/Wastegate Actuator/DV/Catch Can/Tune at most

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im more concerned about the transmission, always internals to deal with factory limits if need be.

Arent these the same engines in the Mustang? Sure itll be fine, though I was just thinking FMIC+Charge Pipes/HFC/CAI/Wastegate Actuator/DV/Catch Can/Tune at most
''Rougly'' the same as the mustang/ ranger/ focus RS.... there are variances in there we can pick apart if necessary.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

''Rougly'' the same as the mustang/ ranger/ focus RS.... there are variances in there we can pick apart if necessary.
Btw, is there an exhaust/DP combo that doesn't drone when not in use. Problem with my Audi is did a Turbo back and while I'm fine with it now, dont wanna'nother droney 4banger when Im cruising on the highway
Sponsored