Sponsored

The Sams Club tire guy said... bigger tires will tear up my transfer case, transmission, engine, suspension, brakes

brownie0027

Base
First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
On my base 4 door 2.3 eco, I have the stock badlands takeoffs 285/70/17. Plenty of clearance even when off-roading no rubbing.
Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When customers ask me to do things at work that we aren't allowed to I never lecture them about it, just explain we can't do it but I'm sure someone else will.

Installing a plow on a new truck without snow plow prep for example. We won't do it and that's about the end of the conversation. It will likely void your warranty but that's your baby if you want to do it anyway.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have a Discount Tire Store they are very knowledgeable and will put on oversize tires. Their warranty includes free rotation and balance for the life of the tire as well. If you buy wheels they will fit them and if the wheels don't fit they send them back at no charge and order the correct replacements. Their tire hazard warranty is great. It costs extra but it covers off-road damage with no questions asked. I once punched a hole in a brand new Goodyear Wrangler on the Top of the World Trail in Moab. They replaced it free of charge.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Go to @Discount Tire - everytime I bring my Wrangler in, theyā€™ve been very helpful on bigger tires and recommendations based on what has worked for other Jeep owners.

Sponsored

titleistforged

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base, 2024 IS 500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Definitely just covering his bases from a liability standpoint. Likely there have been experiences in the past where folks got different tires and blamed Sam's or even him/his technicians.

Local tire shop or even a 4x4 shop would be the best bet.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sam's has great prices on tires, but their sales guys and techs must have some odd rules to follow.

When I needed new tires for my Focus, I got the same the same size as the OEM but a different brand and speed rating and the tech told me he couldn't install them. Told him he better install them because they were already paid for and confirmed to "fit" my vehicle. He installed them but said it wouldn't happen again
If you bought a lower speed rating than what came in the care it is a liability issue for them. If it were a higher speed rating thereā€™s no issue. Same Iā€™d you went to a tire with less of a weight rating most wonā€™t install them. The Tire needs to meet or exceed the spec the manufacture approved for the vehicle as built. At least thatā€™s what Iā€™ve found in the past.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My base is scheduled for production so now I'm earnestly working on the new tire situation. I love the look of the steelies but not the tires Ford puts on them. Since I'm already in Sams that day I head to the tire department to see what they have, the guy looks up the Bronco, tells me the stock tire size. I tell him I need 265's and of course he isn't going to put them on, but then he proceeds to tell me that going to a bigger tire will tear up my transfer case and transmission, my engine, the suspension, brakes, and render the vehicle unable to be driven safely.

I tell him not to bother any further with looking things up, and he keeps going. You'll never find a shop that will install those tires, the whole industry is going that way, and all the time he has my membership card and seems reluctant to give it back. I had to ask him directly for its return.

It's one thing to be told "we don't do that" I expected it TBH. But the hard sell put me off.
One last thing-I looked at the tire decal in the door jamb of the Wrangler and it lists 3 different tire sizes. Can someone with a base look at theirs and see what it lists? I'm thinking that any tire on that sticker should be a go at any tire shop, even a consumer grade Karen shop like Sams.
Go to people who literally specialize in tires.....unless they are more expensive. Don't listen to him he obviously isn't knowledgeable. If you have to go with them, ignore him and get what you know and feel is right.

OP
OP
Gnomad

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I knew Costco was never going to put anything on but bone stock-I ran into that issue back when I had a Land Rover Series 30 years ago. TBH the prices I saw at Sams were nothing special either.

Regarding WalMart-I scored a ridiculous deal on some Cooper Zeons in a size slightly size but not listed for a LR3, had them delivered to the local Wally Whirled and they installed them without question, however somehow while installing them they knocked the wire for the ABS sensor out of its clip. The wire rubbed against the tire and we had a sudden suspension fault and the LR3 settled to the bump stops while on the freeway in Detroit. So needless to say, Wally Whirled is never touching another vehicle of mine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gnomad

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Basically I'm going for the 265 or maybe a 285, instead of the stock street all seasons that the base comes with from the factory. I'm not lifting it or running massive tires, just need a bit bigger and better tread.
The whole scenario kicked off when I told the guy what I wanted.
I'm thinking that I will find the tires and deliver them to the dealer, get them put on before delivery. I might even get them there for the points.

I've read through this thread- (94) Updating Your Base with 265/75R16 Tires? | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community which has been very helpful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gnomad

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No Discount tire locally here in the tip o' the mitt. We do have Belle Tire, but I've never used them so not sure how they are. The local shop I use is pretty good as long as the tire combo isn't actually dangerous or utterly stupid.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Discount, and they're called something different depending on where you are in the US, has always done right by me.

Pep Boys has a pretty good warranty as well. My wife got a car from her sister in FL and we drove it to TX and had to repair/replace some tires and Pep Boys honored the warranty in their system, no questions asked.

In Florida, Action Gator Tire was always really good too. Up in Michigan though, well I don't have any experience with tire purchases up there. Been through Alpena a few times, but always in a rental :D
Sponsored