Sponsored

The Sams Club tire guy said... bigger tires will tear up my transfer case, transmission, engine, suspension, brakes

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My base is scheduled for production so now I'm earnestly working on the new tire situation. I love the look of the steelies but not the tires Ford puts on them. Since I'm already in Sams that day I head to the tire department to see what they have, the guy looks up the Bronco, tells me the stock tire size. I tell him I need 265's and of course he isn't going to put them on, but then he proceeds to tell me that going to a bigger tire will tear up my transfer case and transmission, my engine, the suspension, brakes, and render the vehicle unable to be driven safely.

I tell him not to bother any further with looking things up, and he keeps going. You'll never find a shop that will install those tires, the whole industry is going that way, and all the time he has my membership card and seems reluctant to give it back. I had to ask him directly for its return.

It's one thing to be told "we don't do that" I expected it TBH. But the hard sell put me off.
One last thing-I looked at the tire decal in the door jamb of the Wrangler and it lists 3 different tire sizes. Can someone with a base look at theirs and see what it lists? I'm thinking that any tire on that sticker should be a go at any tire shop, even a consumer grade Karen shop like Sams.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Go to a local tire shop and get what you want.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sam's has great prices on tires, but their sales guys and techs must have some odd rules to follow.

When I needed new tires for my Focus, I got the same the same size as the OEM but a different brand and speed rating and the tech told me he couldn't install them. Told him he better install them because they were already paid for and confirmed to "fit" my vehicle. He installed them but said it wouldn't happen again

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have some Aluminum BD take offs with general grabber tires for sale... ( south Florida)
I upgraded to SAS wheels and 35

Sponsored

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sams/Wally world will usually only install a stock size listed on the door per their rules. Other big boxes may be similar. I'm sure it is a liability legal/lawyer decision. Try to find a 4 wheel shop in your area- they can also help you get the stance/avoid issues/reset your speedo etc... many will price match or at least come close in price.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just tell him Ford puts 35 from the factory so you're good 🤣

I doubt he knows enough to realize the front axles are different.

JeebusCripes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘94 M998, ‘89 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably wouldn’t have had an issue if you went to Costco. Jk

Edit: I’ve never purchased tires at Costco. It was just a joke. Glad to hear they’re just as shitty.

Last edited:

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can always pull out your phone and use Google to call people out on their bullshit.

I do it all the time irl....you'll make less friends this way, but people get real quiet when you say, "Ive never heard that before; Im gonna look it up right now on my phone."

99% of the time they suddenly remember "that's something i heard a while back, but im not sure if it right or not"

Sponsored

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is exactly why I go to a local tire shop ( same place for 40 years) and they know their business and don’t give you that big box tire store BS.

BTW, no appointments needed, leave your car for 1-2 hours stuff. Roll in for a rotation and you re on the road in literally 10-15 minutes. If you re the 3 rd guy there for a rotation you still get done in 40-45 minutes. And these guys know your name!!

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Costco will only install the stock size as well. Most of my business goes to Discount Tire for this reason since my wife's car has a non-stock size, and so will my Bronco when the factory GYs wear out.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2-door base with steelies came with Bridgestone Dueler HT 255/70/R16 on it.

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow Sam’s used to be my go to place to get bigger tires when other shops balked. My Burb came with 245’s and they’ve slapped several sets on from 295’s to 305’s. Times they are a changing…

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Trailbuilt offroad will mount and balance on new rims and ship any tire and wheel option you want. The steelies are a +55 offset, I switched to a +35 to have that poke. good luck and have fun.
Sponsored