Sponsored

To Buy The Towing Capability Package or Not?

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm placing my order for my Outer Banks Bronco. I'm getting 2.3 and non SAS which allows a faster build. The Bronco builder at the dealership says if we drop the towing package we could get our Bronco much faster. Can i install the entire package after the fact, including the outlet? Or should I be patient and order the tow package with the dealer now?
Sponsored

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe you can add "the tow package" afterwards. The guys at TFL seemed to be able to add a hitch and wiring to their first edition. Unless there is some secret thing to the package that I don't know about.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To be clear, are you saying you think “the tow package” can be added later as a dealer installed item? In other words, it would be the identical as if it came from the factory. Thanks.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The guys at TFL had a terrible time getting the parts to make it happen but eventually obtained them. The big problem sounded like the wiring harness. The plugs were not pre-installed, so they had to make their own. I like the look of the Ford hitch vs some of the aftermarket hitches that I've seen, so I plan to wait. Plus, my vehicle must be able to tow right away.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To be clear, are you saying you think “the tow package” can be added later as a dealer installed item? In other words, it would be the identical as if it came from the factory. Thanks.
I am waiting to hear from the dealer if that's possible. Otherwise I'm curious if i can install one equivalent.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

like a new order or modifying existing? if it is new who know what constraints will look like by the time you are picked.

get what you want/need. if you want it wired (i.e. tow) i would have it done stock, if you just want a hitch for a bike or something do aftermarket.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You need to assess what your towing needs are and what connector you want to run.

Your standard 4-pin will be easy enough to wire in yourself and should plug and play off the canon in the quarter panel. But if you're needing to tow anything reasonable and have trailer brakes (personally I like trailer brakes on anything over 3K pounds as it's a considerable % of the Bronco vehicle weight), then you'll need the 7-pin harness and you have a BIG job on your hands, especially as trailer sway control and the other Ford tech related to towing is only available with the 7-pin, and you'll still need to learn to use FORSCAN to try and find where to unlock trailer sway, if possible.

You haven't indicated your personal capabilities in terms of vehicle modification so i'll withhold any other feedback as I don't know if such a job would be a walk in the park for you, or something you've never done and have no tools/equipment to do anyway.

Big Island Bronco ?♂️

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My first edition just got scheduled for October 1 and it has a tow package. There is no way for a dealership to know what commodities are going to be the leading constraint at M.A.P. TFL had a hell of a time and they still couldn’t get the seven pin connector for the tow package plus when it’s all said and done they’re probably going to be in it for $1000! Personally I would order exactly what you want because nobody can tell you what may or may not cause a delay.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You need to assess what your towing needs are and what connector you want to run.

Your standard 4-pin will be easy enough to wire in yourself and should plug and play off the canon in the quarter panel. But if you're needing to tow anything reasonable and have trailer brakes (personally I like trailer brakes on anything over 3K pounds as it's a considerable % of the Bronco vehicle weight), then you'll need the 7-pin harness and you have a BIG job on your hands, especially as trailer sway control and the other Ford tech related to towing is only available with the 7-pin, and you'll still need to learn to use FORSCAN to try and find where to unlock trailer sway, if possible.

You haven't indicated your personal capabilities in terms of vehicle modification so i'll withhold any other feedback as I don't know if such a job would be a walk in the park for you, or something you've never done and have no tools/equipment to do anyway.
Planning on towing a motorcycle only.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought the hitch and wiring harness. They’re at my home. I’m not in love with either. I think I’d buy a Curt and no-splice kit. The Ford requires a bumper removal and the aftermarket ones don’t.

Sponsored

Liberty

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Phil (@flip) is a dealer rep with several broncos of his own and is on the leading edge of the post sale tow addition. Not easy but doable. Check out his posts

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Planning on towing a motorcycle only.
How heavy is the trailer, how heavy is the bike, how much other gear?

Total static tow weight?

Tongue weight?

Unless we're just going ultra-vague here and i'll respond with "might work! Or not". But you're asking a serious question so i'm trying to get more info to give serious feedback.

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Simply splicing in wiring is not an option on the bronco. Those that opted to have a hitch and wiring installed after have stated it’s hours of work and like $500 installation. Order for the factory or don’t bother.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks everyone for your help. I ordered WITH the towing. I'm not sure how my dealer was able to place an order but it went through today and Off Rodeo sent me a confirmation that my order was confirmed.

OP
OP
reigny

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model