Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I specifically asked him for more information and got diddly in response.
Just an FYI, Legend is still lurking, but he has gone dark on forthcoming information. Not sure the reason why, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone engaged him who didn't know who he was. KC has been crawling around MAP longer than some of these buyers have been on this earth. He may not be the most eloquent and his quoting style leaves a lot to be desired. But after you filter through spelling/grammar/forum quoting, the man is gold and knows what he is doing. He's not going to make up statements to impress anonymous forum members. At his age, the desire to impress others is long past.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can't believe there is yet another thread on this subject.

Just looked up a F150 tow package and it was $1,000.

People are stuck on the Hitch. It's not about the Hitch (all be it is over priced about $150) it is about the wire harness, the integration into the variable voltage brake lights, and the integration into the Sync 4 system, and the integration into the GOATs.

If you want to go buy a $100 hitch, splice in some wiring (note you can't just splice into a brake switch) by all means save a couple hundred.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is selling both the hitch and the harness as an accessory. It's clearly going to have good instructions if not plug and play, and it will be compatible with the stock Bronco harness. For that reason I think we can assume that the aftermarket will properly serve this application quickly by reverse engineering what Ford offers. With that said, can we all stop suggesting that the DIY install of the harness will require complex coding skills, and trial & error install technique?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Wiring Harness (and the Hitch) (we the collective believe) is the only different between a Bronco with & without the Tow Package, as the Wiring Harness w/Tow Package will have all of the extra wiring and connectors for a Plug & Play Brake Controller and the 4 & 7 pin Trailer Connections.

It's not believed (by the collective) that there's any other components (Radiator/Trans Oil Cooler/Alternator/Brakes/etc....) that are different between a Bronco with or without the Tow Package.

So.... with that said......

Yes, you can add a aftermarket hitch for less, but (we the collective believe) the ability to "splice in" into the Non-Tow Package Harness is still a mystery, as it has been reported that the Tail Lights are controlled is some sort of "new way of doing it", which means the old method of "just splicing in" will not work.

Time will tell.

In short 2021 Buyers are going to be Gunny Pigs.
The wiring uncertainty is what got me in the end. I was all set to go aftermarket and save probably $300-400 or so, but the news that the towing harness is not plug and play and realizing I will want towing ability immediately made me suck it up and pay.

I specifically asked him for more information and got diddly in response.

Edit: photo so it did happen

Screenshot_20210504-054137_Samsung Internet.jpg
Whoa that's news to me. So now we have another variable to add when measuring suspension on roadshow Broncos.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whoa that's news to me. So now we have another variable to add when measuring suspension on roadshow Broncos.
You need to pay attention. It has been mentioned (albeit dropped in threads that may be overlooked). Legend dropped that info back in February. I tried to convey it to others. People read what they want. I'm done convincing others how to spend their money.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You need to pay attention. It has been mentioned (albeit dropped in threads that may be overlooked). Legend dropped that info back in February. I tried to convey it to others. People read what they want. I'm done convincing others how to spend their money.
< join date April 12th, 2021. I have lots to catch up on still.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford is selling both the hitch and the harness as an accessory. It's clearly going to have good instructions if not plug and play, and it will be compatible with the stock Bronco harness. For that reason I think we can assume that the aftermarket will properly serve this application quickly by reverse engineering what Ford offers. With that said, can we all stop suggesting that the DIY install of the harness will require complex coding skills, and trial & error install technique?
I saw that. If memory serves it was $350 for the Hitch, 110 for the wiring.

But I've personally looked under the Bronco and although I didn't follow the wiring all the way, there was no plug in the rear and the wiring for the Hitch went right into the larger harness for the tail lights and such.

So I wonder if the wiring harness requires you to replace all the way up to the lights, and somewhere all the way up to the foot well.
Sponsored