Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Curt has a Plug & Play 7 Pin Wiring Harness for the 2020 Ranger, so they will develop one for the Bronco: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56431

So all of the Cut/Splice comments are .... well... unfounded. With a Plug & Play Harness, you'll just unplug a tail light from the main harness and plug in the aftermarket harness, route the wires and mount the trailer connector.

I didn't look, but there should also be Trailer Brake Controllers that will be Plug & Play as well.

The almost $600 for what FoMoCo is providing is a Total Joke in My Opinion.
So the plug would not require any splicing of wires, but would it require you to drill a hole? I hate adding another $600 because this stuff is adding up quick, but until a can get a rear bumper with an integrated hitch.. not sure what else I can do.
Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So the plug would not require any splicing of wires, but would it require you to drill a hole?
A T-harness would be plug-and-play and splice-free, but it wouldn't necessarily require cutting/ drilling for the recpticle itself.

Plenty of universal brackets available out there for the plug recepticle to mount to - likely in a very similar fashion to what Ford's doing with the OE package.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessorie...hsBi7GXP8kQuOJPaxDz7iI83otfheMaAaAkOBEALw_wcB

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's a great point. If so, that'd be even easier to work with. I'd assumed they would have carried over Ranger architecture, which doesn't appear to use the USCAR connector (probably thanks to its original origins?) but there's a good chance that since Bronco harnesses would largely be all-new, it could well utilize USCAR.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I find it interesting they mounted the plug connector where they did when the factory location is a much better solution. Maybe it was not permanent though.

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question Capture.JPG

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Either way, I have little doubt that someone will ultimately offer a solution for this on the aftermarket that shouldn't be too bad to work with.

(Really, my most immediate use for that hitch is going to be a bike rack anyway, so...I can wait on lights :) )

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As an example, on the F150 the receiver is $231, the wiring harness is $42, and the trailer plug/receptacle is $37. That is from the Ford parts department. Safe to assume that the Bronco parts will be similar in pricing. The Bronco's will come prewired so the harness is plug and play.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Pics taken in Seattle of the overland concept.

Fitment is very snug, its well designed and the bumper has been tailored to accept the hitch with minimal loss of departure angle.

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question 20201023_123800

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question 20201023_123814

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So was just checking out Jeep... came across this. So for a $100 buck more.. Look at all you get with a Jeep Towing Package... @Ford.... WTF?

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question Jeep_TowPackage

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pics taken in Seattle of the overland concept.

Fitment is very snug, its well designed and the bumper has been tailored to accept the hitch with minimal loss of departure angle.

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question Jeep_TowPackage
I do think it's integrated very nicely, but I can't see a reason why an aftermarket unit would be less so, given how it has to attach here.

That said, if it's the case - I can always swallow my pride and pick up the pieces at the parts counter after the fact. Willing to gamble on that.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So if this hitch can safely handing the max towing capacity of the Bronco, and it is really only say $350-400 more than what it would take to accomplish the same thing with aftermarket parts (plus your time).... I'm torn.

Question... do off road, aftermarket rear bumpers take into account Existing tow hitches or would you have to remove this?

If I could pull off my plastic bumper (WT) and add an real bumper later and leave the hitch in place... I think I'd go for it. But if I have to lose the hitch .. that really would be wasted money (and I'm guessing I wouldn't really even be able to sell it because the aftermarket bumper would need me to re-use the factory plug which makes the factory hitch basically worthless.)

Sponsored

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just to add to the discussion - one reason I was hesitating to not get the Tow Package is the possibility of having to cut the bumper cover to allow for an aftermarket hitch (or have it sit really low and look ugly). This is what you have to do to other Ford SUVs that come from the factory without a towing package. I've seen people take a dremel to the cover to make it look factory and it always looks like a hackjob.

However, looking at the Base on the B&P, I see that the bumper already has a slot molded in it for the tow package, just minus the hitch. That tells me no cutting required...

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question 1603808830035

EDIT: found a picture of a real base (with a crooked bumper) to show what it'll look like until we can get an aftermarket hitch installed:

Ford Bronco Tow Package Question 1603810285361

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I just wanted to add that on Fords that didnt have brake controllers integrated at order, its basically plug and play hookup so not a big issue, this goes back at least to 1999. The Bronco OEM is overpriced, but how long will it take for Reese or Curt to get one out the door and in stock? that is my only concern as I will use it immediately for a bike rack and utility trailer.
Sponsored