Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking of dropping tow to accelerate delivery. Wondering how many tow packages have been delivered in proportion to the total.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those still deciding…

The primary benefit of the tow package is the 7-pin connector, compatibility with a trailer brake controller, and some integrations with the vehicle safety systems. Note the trailer brake controller itself does not come with the Bronco, but it’s easy to add one on with the tow package. You still have to take apart and drill a hole into center console for the gain knob to install it, but it’s relatively easy.

if you have no intention on ever installing a trailer brake controller, I would drop the tow package and get the following:
You can either install them yourself or have your dealer do it. And if you pay for it with your FordPass points it becomes cheaper than the tow package. You may even be able to have your dealer wave the installation fee—they also have a vested interest in getting your Bronco built and sold to you.

Now you may be asking to yourself… do I need a trailer brake controller?

That depends on many factors. In most states, you do not need trailer brakes until you tow above 3000 lbs. The Bronco’s max tow rating is 3500 lbs, but if you load the Bronco itself up with additional gear, that tow rating drops to around 3000-3100 lbs.

So while the answer is,”it depends”, I can make generalizations….
  • If you are towing a marine trailer for a boat, jet skis, etc. the answer is NO. Marine trailers almost always have passive surge brakes that do not require a brake controller.
  • If you are towing a utility trailer, the answer is NO. The vast majority of utility trailers small enough for the Bronco to tow will either have no brakes or surge brakes.
  • If you are towing a pop-up camper, teardrop trailer, or other small camper, the answer is PROBABLY NOT. You can buy these trailers with electric brakes, but usually it is an optional upgrade and not a standard feature. Whether you’d want electric brakes or not is up to you (see the next bullet).
  • If you are towing an overlanding or off-roading trailer, the answer is PROBABLY YES. Most expedition trailers will come with electric brakes. If you are doing more extreme off-roading with a trailer, having electric brakes helps dramatically when trying to control your vehicle. But if you aren’t doing extreme off-roading with your trailer and will be driving on decently maintained forest service roads or camp ground roads, electric brakes don’t really help you that much.

And finally… the states where trailer brakes are required under 3000 lbs (to the best of my knowledge):
  • California
  • Idaho (kinda, it’s complicated)
  • Nevada
  • New York (kinda, it’s complicated)
  • North Carolina
  • Mississippi
If anyone needs more info on the “it’s complicated” states, let me know (trying to keep this post short). Also apologies to our Canadian friends up north, not super familiar with the trailer brake laws and only have a rough idea what is required in Quebec and Ontario.

That’s it, hope that was helpful.

Last edited:

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can add an aftermarket electric brake controller. Not as nice as OEM, but that's how we did it for decades.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@RagnarKon - I’d be interested in NY complications. I received mine without tow and have the hitch installed and haven’t yet installed the 4 pin, but plan to.

Can we assume the delay is due to the 7-pin and chip shortage and those will be readily available eventually? The trailer brake controller kit doesn’t include the 7-pin plug, does it? I haven’t looked much into it - because I don’t plan on hauling anything that large. But, I live in NY.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@RagnarKon - I’d be interested in NY complications. I received mine without tow and have the hitch installed and haven’t yet installed the 4 pin, but plan to.

Can we assume the delay is due to the 7-pin and chip shortage and those will be readily available eventually? The trailer brake controller kit doesn’t include the 7-pin plug, does it? I haven’t looked much into it - because I don’t plan on hauling anything that large. But, I live in NY.
Ford hasn’t said what the delays are caused by, but the only thing that makes sense is some sort of electronics module that allows a brake controller to interface with the Bronco’s computer system and wiring harness.

The tow package includes the 7-pin connector, but the pin on the connector that controls the trailer brakes won’t actually do anything unless you also Install a brake controller.

New York requires trailer brakes on the following:
  • On every trailer weighing over 1000 lbs unladen (unloaded)
  • On every trailer weighing over 3000 lbs that was manufactured after December 1970.
In addition, if driving on the highway, the trailer’s wheels cannot extend more than 6 inches out from the path of the pulling vehicle. Which is mega confusing, but it effectively puts width restrictions on the trailer and where exactly the trailer can be attached. The highway piece is (probably) meant to provide an exemption for farm equipment

Sponsored

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m thinking of dropping tow to accelerate delivery. Wondering how many tow packages have been delivered in proportion to the total.
I dropped mine back in the summer and got a Nov delivery. That was the one thing I was ok to drop. But now I kind of regret it as I had to go back after the fact and install it for twice as much but now I realize i still need the 7-pin.... ug.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The primary benefit of the tow package is the 7-pin connector and compatibility with a trailer brake controller. Note the trailer brake controller itself does not come with the Bronco, but it’s easy to add one on with the tow package. You still have to take apart and drill a hole into center console for the gain knob to install it, but it’s relatively easy.

if you have no intention on ever installing a trailer brake controller, I would drop the tow package and get the following:
You can either install them yourself or have your dealer do it. And if you pay for it with your FordPass points it becomes cheaper than the tow package. You may even be able to have your dealer wave the installation fee—they also have a vested interest in getting your Bronco built and sold to you.

That depends on many factors. In most states, you do not need trailer brakes until you tow above 3000 lbs. The Bronco’s max tow rating is 3500 lbs, but if you load the Bronco itself up with additional gear, that tow rating drops to around 3000-3100 lbs.

• If you are towing a marine trailer for a boat, jet skis, etc. the answer is NO. Marine trailers almost always have passive surge brakes that do not require a brake controller.
  • If you are towing a utility trailer, the answer is NO. The vast majority of utility trailers small enough for the Bronco to tow will either have no brakes or surge brakes.
  • If you are towing a pop-up camper, teardrop trailer, or other small camper, the answer is PROBABLY NOT. You can buy these trailers with electric brakes, but usually it is an optional upgrade and not a standard feature. Whether you’d want electric brakes or not is up to you (see the next bullet).
  • If you are towing an overlanding or off-roading trailer, the answer is PROBABLY YES. Most expedition trailers will come with electric brakes. If you are doing more extreme off-roading with a trailer, having electric brakes helps dramatically when trying to control your vehicle. But if you aren’t doing extreme off-roading with your trailer and will be driving on decently maintained forest service roads or camp ground roads, electric brakes don’t really help you that much.

And finally… the states where trailer brakes are required under 3000 lbs (to the best of my knowledge):
  • California
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Mississippi
If anyone needs more info on the “it’s complicated” states, let me know (trying to keep this post short). Also apologies to our Canadian friends up north, not super familiar with the trailer brake laws and only have a rough idea what is required in Quebec and Ontario.

Great post, Bryan! Too bad it’s buried inside a polling thread, where it may not get read by many members. You should consider creating a brand new thread and using this as the OP.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford hasn’t said what the delays are caused by, but the only thing that makes sense is some sort of electronics module that allows a brake controller to interface with the Bronco’s computer system and wiring harness.

The tow package includes the 7-pin connector, but the pin on the connector that controls the trailer brakes won’t actually do anything unless you also Install a brake controller.

New York requires trailer brakes on the following:
  • On every trailer weighing over 1000 lbs unladen (unloaded)
  • On every trailer weighing over 3000 lbs that was manufactured after December 1970.
In addition, if driving on the highway, the trailer’s wheels cannot extend more than 6 inches out from the path of the pulling vehicle. Which is mega confusing, but it effectively puts width restrictions on the trailer and where exactly the trailer can be attached. The highway piece is (probably) meant to provide an exemption for farm equipment
RagnarKon, you seem very insightful so wanted to ask you something similar. I had Ford go back and install the Ford hitch and 4-pin warning harness. But now I realize I should have gotten the full 7-pin and electric brake controller setup since I want to start doing some trailer camping in that 3000 to 3500 lb range. The labor was $$ since it was very difficult to get the 4 Pin installed, said they even had to remove my rear seats. Can I pickup a 7 pin and brake controller and have most of the labor done by piggybacking on the connections for the 4-Pin? I know I will need to run the controller to the front dash but that seems relatively easy. If so, do you have any recommended parts? I kind of need it in a hurry...

DreamFolise

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep Scrambler, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been a 7/14 res holder and have been bounced to a 22. Last Saturday my dealer called and said if you remove tow you’ll get your date quicker. Went in same day to do paperwork and remove tow package, got my build date Thursday. He doesn’t think it’s coincidence and neither do I. I don’t know why you need trailer brakes on a 3500# rated vehicle so I’ll opt for aftermarket 4 pin and be just fine. There is a shortage of chips for the 7 pin connector which is constraining the tow package. My advice, drop the tow.
Tow, 2 door, wild tram and PPF are constrained now.

28EBEA4D-6666-4BAB-B19F-9F61571C6819.jpeg

Sponsored

JMiles74

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The primary benefit of the tow package is the 7-pin connector and compatibility with a trailer brake controller. Note the trailer brake controller itself does not come with the Bronco, but it’s easy to add one on with the tow package. You still have to take apart and drill a hole into center console for the gain knob to install it, but it’s relatively easy.

• California
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Mississippi

I have been contemplating dropping the tow package but...My ultimate plans for the tow package is to tow this popup camper. Its under 3000lbs. But from your post it sounds like it is recommended that I will need the 7 pin vs the 4 pin setup, right?

Screenshot_20220122-103659_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

• California
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Mississippi

Well, I'm in NC...I did NOT know this was required......? I guess if that's accurate I was shirking the law this spring when I (stupidly) towed TWO pallets of sod with my FJ on a trailer with no brake control. (that was like 5000 pounds)

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

RagnarKon, you seem very insightful so wanted to ask you something similar. I had Ford go back and install the Ford hitch and 4-pin warning harness. But now I realize I should have gotten the full 7-pin and electric brake controller setup since I want to start doing some trailer camping in that 3000 to 3500 lb range. The labor was $$ since it was very difficult to get the 4 Pin installed, said they even had to remove my rear seats. Can I pickup a 7 pin and brake controller and have most of the labor done by piggybacking on the connections for the 4-Pin? I know I will need to run the controller to the front dash but that seems relatively easy. If so, do you have any recommended parts? I kind of need it in a hurry...
You do NOT need to remove the seats, or anything else for that matter, in order to install a hitch and 4 pin wiring harness. I hope they did not overcharge you.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I'm in NC...I did NOT know this was required......? I guess if that's accurate I was shirking the law this spring when I (stupidly) towed TWO pallets of sod with my FJ on a trailer with no brake control. (that was like 5000 pounds)
I didn't know either.....

and for the guy above asking if he needs the 7-pin, I am in the same boat and trying to simply rent a small trailer. I think 90% of them has a 7-pin connector and I looked for 3-4 hours last night. If you can find one now that doesn't that's great but having only a 4 pin is going to limit your selection in the future. I think I am going to go out and pickup something like this locally. I will not have a brake controller but I can add it later.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZFQRZ...=plJW8&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title

Ford Bronco Tow Package? 1642866877725

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't know either.....

and for the guy above asking if he needs the 7-pin, I am in the same boat and trying to simply rent a small trailer. I think 90% of them has a 7-pin connector and I looked for 3-4 hours last night. If you can find one now that doesn't that's great but having only a 4 pin is going to limit your selection in the future. I think I am going to go out and pickup something like this locally. I will not have a brake controller but I can add it later.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZFQRZ...=plJW8&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_title

Ford Bronco Tow Package? 1642866877725
NIce....another Charlotte guy....there's a lot of us...are you in the Carolina Club ? You already have your Bronco? Being an NC lawyer I should probably check this e-brake law, ha
Sponsored