Sponsored

Towing Capacity - Upgradable? Can it haul a car?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Years ago I had plans to compete in SCCA Rallycross. I dropped some used gravel tires on a 2000 Focus, took it to rally school, competed in 1 event, and...

barely limped the Focus 150 miles back home to Pasadena from Ridgecrest. Having been graced with 2 bent control arms, a wobbly wheel, and a burned-out clutch, I soon realized having a proper truck and trailer was essential for this endeavor. File that under: No Shit Sherlock.

The small 2000 Focus is approximately 2,500 pounds. I see that cheaper wood-bottom car trailers weigh anywhere from 1,500-2000 pounds. There's not much wiggle room here if I need to stay below 3,500 pounds.

Can the Bronco be fitted with a beefier towing package? Or is the Bronco simply incapable of safely pulling more than 3,500 pounds, regardless of the towing package?

Cheers.
I flat towed my '65 Mustang (around 2800 lbs) using my CJ-7 no problem. Fan of flat towing vs squirrelly trailers. Although flat tow won't cut it, if you're rally car has messed up wheel or severe misalignment.
Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Years ago I had plans to compete in SCCA Rallycross. I dropped some used gravel tires on a 2000 Focus, took it to rally school, competed in 1 event, and...

barely limped the Focus 150 miles back home to Pasadena from Ridgecrest. Having been graced with 2 bent control arms, a wobbly wheel, and a burned-out clutch, I soon realized having a proper truck and trailer was essential for this endeavor. File that under: No Shit Sherlock.

The small 2000 Focus is approximately 2,500 pounds. I see that cheaper wood-bottom car trailers weigh anywhere from 1,500-2000 pounds. There's not much wiggle room here if I need to stay below 3,500 pounds.

Can the Bronco be fitted with a beefier towing package? Or is the Bronco simply incapable of safely pulling more than 3,500 pounds, regardless of the towing package?

Cheers.
NO

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Suspension is the limiting factor in the Bronco. Towing and offroading are exact opposite asks of a suspension, so tuning for one sacrifices the other.

My '15 F-350 is a total beast towing, but completely sucks off road.

The Bronco will be a beast offroad, but will suck at towing.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What is the limiting factor in the tow rating? The Bronco shares a lot with the Ranger, right? And the ranger, with a 2.3L can tow 7500lbs. Is it the lack of extra cooling for the engine or transmission?
Suspension, wheelbase, center of gravity, etc. Unfortunately all things you cannot change. The Raptor is plagued with a similar issue. Standard F150 can tow up to 12,000 the Raptor 8200.

Sponsored

Big Island Bronco ?♂️

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Cheers.
Something to keep in mind when towing. I used to own a wholesale food business And switched over from using a box truck to a 3500 dually pick up truck to tow my 12000+ pound trailer. After a few years of other wholesale guys seeing my set up they also switched to save money. Now here is where the problem starts. There was a few guys who tried saving money by buying 1/2 ton trucks that were under rated for their max tow loads. Their rational was that most of the time they would not be exceeding their max tow rating. All went well until one day one of them had a serious accident. After the insurance and police investigated they determined that the truck was towing way above it’s safe factory tow rating. So their own insurance company wouldn’t pay for damages and the other people in the accident were able to sue him, basically ruined him financially! Wish I could say this was an isolated incident but over 20 years I’ve been in the business I saw it happen many times. Personally I plan on having a large towable boat and will pick up a beater pick up truck just for that purpose 😉 FYI I have a few hundred thousand miles of towing experience and will never put anything behind my bronco that weighs over 3000 pounds.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Had a trailer, detached from the towing vehicle, pass me on the 15 one day, that was fun, everyone slammed on the brakes and watched it sail by.
"Well, would you look at that. That looks JUST like our trailer!"

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Suspension is the limiting factor in the Bronco. Towing and offroading are exact opposite asks of a suspension, so tuning for one sacrifices the other.

My '15 F-350 is a total beast towing, but completely sucks off road.

The Bronco will be a beast offroad, but will suck at towing.
Rear suspension does seem to be the culprit. Should be able to upgrade to stiffer rear coils and Timbren or SumoSpring will develop a bumpstop that absorbs the trailering needs. And upgrade to a ClassIII hitch.

Bronco will need enhancement on the rear and that will somewhat limit articulation offroading. Possible to have both to make the truck more versatile. IMO, there's a misconception that getting towing ability to 5000lbs (with the four door) will drastically reduce the offroad capability.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheers.
It's just a matter of physics. Short wheelbase + high hitchpoint + soft spring rates don't equate to prime towing conditions. That's why the tow rating is low compared to the Ranger. Too much weight and highway speeds will teach you to pucker in ways you never have before. But it'll be great and maneuverable for moving the boat around the yard or maybe dropping it in the lake nearby. Other than that get a bigger rig if you really need to tow something.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Suspension, wheelbase, center of gravity, etc. Unfortunately all things you cannot change. The Raptor is plagued with a similar issue. Standard F150 can tow up to 12,000 the Raptor 8200.
Technically you can change all that if you wanted.

Like with the Raptor you could put all the mere mortal F-150 bits you wanted on it so it was identical to an F-150.

The thing you can not change is the numbers on the door sticker in the US. In some other countries you can upgrade brakes/suspension and get a GVWR rating change. In the US it might be printed on a sticker but it is basically chiseled in stone. It is what it is and you can't "improve it"

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Technically you can change all that if you wanted.

Like with the Raptor you could put all the mere mortal F-150 bits you wanted on it so it was identical to an F-150.

The thing you can not change is the numbers on the door sticker in the US. In some other countries you can upgrade brakes/suspension and get a GVWR rating change. In the US it might be printed on a sticker but it is basically chiseled in stone. It is what it is and you can't "improve it"
Raptor has a different frame than the F150. Front suspension is not interchangeable. If you were going to the trouble to change everything why buy it in the first place?

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Raptor has a different frame than the F150. Front suspension is not interchangeable. If you were going to the trouble to change everything why buy it in the first place?
I don't care, you could put the Raptor cab on the normal '150 frame. My point is is the door sticker (which also has the VIN on it) is what mandates the GVWR at the consumer level.

There is no changing it.

Raptor was just a nice example as there is a peer model that is similar (normal F-150) has substantially better ratings.