Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy C10
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Shocked that the Bronco hitch is a class II 1.25 inch. Heck, the aftermarket hitch for my Subaru Crosstrek is a 2 inch class III and I need that because my bike carrier and motorcycle carrier all fit 2 inch receivers. So if the stock hitch choice is only 1.25 then I will wait and go aftermarket for sure. I wonder if Ford gives you a choice for receiver size?
The Bronco has a 2" class II hitch. Your Subaru's hitch is likely a class II hitch as well. The receiver size does not indicate the class of the hitch. While there are some general guidelines for receiver size that some manufacturers follow it is not a regulated standard. Often time a 2" hitch is preferred for accessory use like you mentioned.
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Shocked that the Bronco hitch is a class II 1.25 inch. Heck, the aftermarket hitch for my Subaru Crosstrek is a 2 inch class III and I need that because my bike carrier and motorcycle carrier all fit 2 inch receivers. So if the stock hitch choice is only 1.25 then I will wait and go aftermarket for sure. I wonder if Ford gives you a choice for receiver size?
From all the information and images it looks like it will be a Class II but with a 2"

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco has a 2" class II hitch. Your Subaru's hitch is likely a class II hitch as well. The receiver size does not indicate the class of the hitch. While there are some general guidelines for receiver size that some manufacturers follow it is not a regulated standard. Often time a 2" hitch is preferred for accessory use like you mentioned.
Good to know it is a 2inch receiver. Thanks for the info! The hitch on my Crosstrek is class III as I had checked. Tongue weight limit is between 500-600 lbs which far exceeds the limit for the car. I carry a 300lb motorcycle+50lbs for the hitch which is over the limit for the car but it does OK. I expect the Bronco should do much better since overall it is a much heavier vehicle and will have heavier springs than the Crosstrek.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to know it is a 2inch receiver. Thanks for the info! The hitch on my Crosstrek is class III as I had checked. Tongue weight limit is between 500-600 lbs which far exceeds the limit for the car. I carry a 300lb motorcycle+50lbs for the hitch which is over the limit for the car but it does OK. I expect the Bronco should do much better since overall it is a much heavier vehicle and will have heavier springs than the Crosstrek.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ksm

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bet it would sag horribly with the stock coils. ClassII hitch probably has 350lb max tongue weight anyway.
I want to say that I ready the tongue capacity is 500lbs.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not inconceivable. I have a Class III on an Escape. The Escape is only rated for 1500lbs
Aftermarket? That would make sense... but from the factory?

Ford Bronco Towing Package question giphy-

I'm happy to be proven wrong... I've just seen a lot of people on here that confuse the size of the receiver with the class of the receiver....

Last edited:

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Towing Package question giphy-

I'm happy to be proven wrong... I've just seen a lot of people on here that confuse the size of the receiver with the class of the receiver....
Mine is aftermarket. I imagine it's pretty rare for a factory hitch to exceed vehicle capacity.

I agree with you though. The 2"/Class II definitely confuses people.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's a 2" receiver even though ClassII. Trouble is it's still a ClassII with 3500lbs max tow capacity and 350lb tongue weight. Great to have the 4/7 pin included but needs a ClassIII hitch.

Sponsored

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

giphy-gif.gif

I should have clarified that it was aftermarket. Not factory. But back to the Bronco. Class 2 with 2 inch receiver and 350 lb tongue weight works for my needs so I will add it to my build. I have hitch racks but will not be towing anything.

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought it would but did not know 50% reduction. Yeah, that's a problem. Extension halves both the max tongue weight and max tow capacity.
The 14” extension said reduces trailer hitch weight by 1/3 instead of 50% of the 18”

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want to say that I ready the tongue capacity is 500lbs.
I doubt the Bronco ClassII is rated for 500lbs tongue weight. General guideline for hitches is 10% of max tow capacity, so 350lbs max. And the crossmember the Bronco hitch connects to doesn't look stout enough to deal with more than 350lbs tongue weight when you're bouncing the trailer on rough roads.

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a 2" receiver even though ClassII. Trouble is it's still a ClassII with 3500lbs max tow capacity and 350lb tongue weight. Great to have the 4/7 pin included but needs a ClassIII hitch.
I doubt the Bronco ClassII is rated for 500lbs tongue weight. General guideline for hitches is 10% of max tow capacity, so 350lbs max. And the crossmember the Bronco hitch connects to doesn't look stout enough to deal with more than 350lbs tongue weight when you're bouncing the trailer on rough roads.
This is for reference only &
That is correct! This is for reference only & is for the Ford Escape. The Ford Edge is has the same rating.
Ford Bronco Towing Package question A7858FFB-1921-4D44-8E92-BF40AB60B28E

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Compared pics of an FJ Cruiser to a 2021 Bronco as it is now. FJ spare tire on the tailgate sits high enough to hook up a trailer with a straight hitch. The Bronco I doubt I could hook up the same trailers with the spare on.

fj cruiser tow hookup1.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup2.png

fj cruiser tow hookup3.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup4.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup5.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup6.JPG

fj cruiser tow hookup7.JPG
Sponsored