Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would ask the winch manufacturer, but class II , 3500lb capacity receiver is maybe a bit light for even a 5k lb. winch. Adding a snatch block to pull the big Bronco would definitely stress the capacity.
Ford rates the hitch as a recovery point so there’s that.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it includes wiring to the dash for a trailer brake controller that’s worth something.
This is an excellent point.

The trailer brake controller in the Bronco accessory catalog is an existing Ford part. If you look it up is says that it requires the factory tow package to work.

If you intend to install a brake controller eventually, it may be worth it to spec the factory tow package if it could mean that additional plug-n-play options for it later.

If that’s not important to you than yes, aftermarket will likely be cheaper... but who knows when those will be available. Probably relatively soon, but also probably not at delivery.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And it’s amazing what ya can do with multiple blocks

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right, I know the advantage of having a hitch receiver (which I plan to get regardless). The question is whether the factory option is worth the $600 or if an equivalent (or better) aftermarket solution will be available for significantly less.
To me it is worth it to get the vehicle with the wiring and hitch already installed. Means I don’t have to do it and it’s ready to go right when I get it. Yes, I am sure you will be able to get a cheaper after market hitch but, even though I am retired, it’s not worth the savings to chase around and get the correct parts and either install them or have them installed by somebody else on a new Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To clarify my original question: I'm not asking if I should get a hitch receiver at all (I plan to), but whether the $600 factory option is worth it and if so, why.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's worth it to me because I want to be able to tow from day 1. I've got an off-road trailer sitting in my side yard in the process of being built. I don't know how long it'll take for the aftermarket to spin up on the hitch/wiring or aftermarket bumpers for the Bronco.

I suppose I could buy it from Ford after the fact, but really, at that point just include it.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford rates the hitch as a recovery point so there’s that.
It also rated at 3500 lbs and 300 lbs (or less) tongue weight. Add 80lbs of winch and it seems like a pretty weak winch mount point. I may be way off, but maybe there is a guideline somewhere. I have seen class II hitches bend from just excessive tongue weight (motorcycle rack, add a long lever , plus the weight of the motorcycle).

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To clarify my original question: I'm not asking if I should get a hitch receiver at all (I plan to), but whether the $600 factory option is worth it and if so, why.
No cost wise if you don't need the wire for the brake controller but yes if you need it they answered the question. Also many time this wire on the newer Ford is connected to a pressure switch thats a nice setup it it is.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s worth the $600 to me, just for convenience. I could get one for zero dollars since I’m a welder and generally make my own stuff... but I just don’t wanna deal with it. I’ve got bumpers and all that jazz to focus on... lol

Sponsored

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It also rated at 3500 lbs and 300 lbs (or less) tongue weight. Add 80lbs of winch and it seems like a pretty weak winch mount point. I may be way off, but maybe there is a guideline somewhere. I have seen class II hitches bend from just excessive tongue weight (motorcycle rack, add a long lever , plus the weight of the motorcycle).
I really don't think the weak point is the hitch but the suspension due to being setup for Offroad.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No cost wise if you don't need the wire for the brake controller but yes if you need it they answered the question. Also many time this wire on the newer Ford is connected to a pressure switch thats a nice setup it it is.
With the paltry tow limit on this vehicle is a brake controller even useful? Maybe. I don't know. I don't own any type of trailer (just a hitch-mount cargo tray).

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

it’s a class II ‘rated’ hitch because it’s limited to 3500lb but unlike a normal class II it has a 2” receiver instead of the 1 1/2“ normally found on a class II hitch. Remember recovery would be a line pull on the hitch which is different loading than tongue weight loading. Besides, I don’t think Ford would rate it as a recovery point if it couldn’t handle pulling the entire weight of the Bronco.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's a 2" receiver so it's a class III hitch. There's a lot more that goes into a vehicles tow rating than the hitch strength. A class III will take up to 8000lbs towing weight. I'd venture an occasional recovery from it would be fine at 10k.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the paltry tow limit on this vehicle is a brake controller even useful? Maybe. I don't know. I don't own any type of trailer (just a hitch-mount cargo tray).
Yes. Towing a 3500# trailer is much safer with electric brakes. It helps keep you from jack-knifing in an quick stop.
Sponsored