Towing Package: worth it or no?

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If it includes wiring to the dash for a trailer brake controller that’s worth something.
From what I've read.....it does not include brake controller.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I've read.....it does not include brake controller.
It does not include the trailer brake controller... but the trailer brake controller listed in the accessory catalog "requires factory tow package."

The assumption being that the factory tow package includes harness connections under the dash for adding the controller later.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There's a big difference between the hitch rating and the vehicle tow rating. But I really don't care enough to convince you of that so feel free to believe whatever you like. ✌
Agreed.
I think they put a Class II hitch on it because the tow rating is Class II not that the tow rating is Class II because it has a Class II hitch. There is nothing wrong with the factory hitch, It attaches to a cross member that is welded to the same frame that a Class III receiver will bolt to. The bolts that hold the factory receiver hold tongue weight in shear, tow weight is held in tension on the cross member. After market hitches hold tongue weight in tension and tow weight in shear. I might argue that the factory hitch set up is actually superior.

It is something besides the hitch that is limiting capacity.

gwiacek

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford flex awd ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
i ordered the trailer tow package to permanently turn off the start/stop feature on the engine. through the sync screen you can only disable it until the vehicle is turned off. Then it resets to back on. youtube videos show if you buy a trailer harness tester and leave it plugged into the plug by the trailer hitch, it fools the vehicle into thinking a trailer is attached. so it disables start/stop feature all the time. tester on amazon is only $10-$15.

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i ordered the trailer tow package to permanently turn off the start/stop feature on the engine. through the sync screen you can only disable it until the vehicle is turned off. Then it resets to back on. youtube videos show if you buy a trailer harness tester and leave it plugged into the plug by the trailer hitch, it fools the vehicle into thinking a trailer is attached. so it disables start/stop feature all the time. tester on amazon is only $10-$15.
yeah, might disabled reverse sensors though?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I change my own oil too, probably not worth it, but it’s therapeutic. I just added the prices in to evaluate cost both ways.
Right. I change my own oil too, not to save money, but to ensure I'm really getting synthetic, that the filter really is being changed, that the drain plug is, in fact, reinstalled and threaded correctly and not overtightened, etc. Doing your own work is the only way to ensure you're getting the best work (as long as it's something you know how to do).

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my fear with aftermarket. Top half of pic 1 shows a uhaul receiver on our old ‘15 GC and bottom half of pic 1 shows the factory receiver on our ‘18 GC. Will an aftermarket receiver reduce the departure angle?

Pic 2 - I ended up replacing the uhaul receiver with a factory one prior to trading in for the trailhawk.

005BDD74-8DDD-4D3C-A909-1B7184500F2C.jpeg

C6097716-1E5E-4063-9456-B37FE17879C2.jpeg

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can disable the start/stop permanently through forscan. Did that in my f150 day 1 and been off for 3yrs.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

you could save some money by using the override plug for the OBII port or just use Forscan.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah, might disabled reverse sensors though?
When I connect my trailer harness to my f150, it automatically disables my rear bumper sensors. Whereas in my wife’s grand cherokee, I have to manually disable the rear sensors when backing up with the trailer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was really on the fence about it though and it does burn me to spend $600 for a receiver/t-connector... if the thing was on the street and I had more intel on how an aftermarket hitch fits I would have been very open to changing it.
Right, I guess that's our dilemma. No one yet has a Bronco, so no one yet knows if installing an aftermarket hitch (or even the OEM hitch) is a simple plug-and-play operation. Too many unknowns I suppose to make this an educated decision.

The price of early adoption. But yes I will be cheesed after paying $600 and finding out down the road that I could have done the exact same thing for $250 and 30 minutes of my time. I hate paying manufacturers for the obvious "profit boosters."

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah quick search on ford’s towing selector for the sport states 2,200lbs. So who knows at this point.
A vehicle’s tow rating depends on the manufacturer’s. GCWR. The hitch rating is only for the hardware. It is a maximum for a class. The actual tow rating for the vehicle can be a lot less.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For me, the potential savings isn't enough to worry about it.
I am going to assume that it works the same way that the F-150 does and that incorporated into the stability control and allowed a simply plug and play of a brake controller. You also get to view it in the dash computer.
As such, these items are worth the potential $200-$300 that it may be overpriced.
It's an item I would just prefer to have on Delivery and not have to worry about DIY at a later time.