First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2021 first edition, 2.7L and a curt hitch.

I understand the weight limit is 3,500 lbs.

I have a 25ft tritoon and 26ft trailer. Comes to about 4,000lbs give or take.

Is it very unsafe to tow approx 8 miles on a mountain road if I stay very slow?
Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's the same engine and transmission that's in the Ranger that has a towing capacity twice as much. The issue is safety with the suspension.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would do it if I was in the same position. I've towed our 3,000lb camper with the Bronco and our 4Runner that has a 5,000lb rating and the Bronco is a vastly superior tow vehicle in every single metric I can think of.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Iā€™m not saying this is a good ideaā€¦.

But I hauled 2 tons of wood pellets on a 1500lb trailer 10 miles down the mountain.

I hauled a bronco 2 that ate its transmission back down off a mountian - a few miles. Dunno what that weighs but probably about the same. Same trailer

The trick was having the trailer load balanced - not too much tongue weight, and going slow. You got plenty of engine and brake but the suspension is really really soft

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Youā€™ll be fine. Just take your time

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it has working trailer brakes youā€™ll probably be ok if you be careful. Bronco has a really soft suspension so you might want a weight distribution hitch if youā€™re going to do it more than once.

Iowa Hawkeye

Big Bend
First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would do it but just go slow, would be better with trailer brakes. The biggest weak point is the cross member that the hitch bolts to on the Bronco, probably don't want to go over 300 lb of tongue weight.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have trailer brakes and a trailer brake controller, I'd personally feel comfortable doing it. Not saying it's the right thing to do, obviously if you get in an accident it could open you up to all kinds of liability. BUT, I'd personally feel comfortable doing it.

If you don't have trailer brakes... eh...... not sure about that.

Also the First Edition tow rating is actually around 3240 lbs. It's a fully optioned vehicle, so it dips below the standard 3500 lbs mark due to its curb weight.

OP
OP
Clean68

Clean68

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you have trailer brakes and a trailer brake controller, I'd personally feel comfortable doing it. Not saying it's the right thing to do, obviously if you get in an accident it could open you up to all kinds of liability. BUT, I'd personally feel comfortable doing it.

If you don't have trailer brakes... eh...... not sure about that.

Also the First Edition tow rating is actually around 3240 lbs. It's a fully optioned vehicle, so it dips below the standard 3500 lbs mark due to its curb weight.
I had no idea the first edition had a lower total rating. Thank you so much. I donā€™t have trailer brakes but I can add them. The trailer does have disc brakes and it is a tandem axle. It looks like the boat fully loaded with fuel is 3300 pounds and the trailer is 1100 pounds, so it looks like Iā€™m definitely a lot over for a short drive. Maybe I need to figure out another truck :/ or solution.

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Well... when I was young and incredibly stupid, I towed a 21 ft. Mako center console with a 150 Merc on it 18 miles to a repair shop... with my '77 VW Rabbit and a JC Whitney bolt-on hitch. Car, Boat and driver all lived to tell about it. On a mountain road, the biggest concern will be overheating the brakes. How steep is the mountain and are you going up, or down?

Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Get a trailer brake controller.

Redarc is the OEM one.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn heavy Badlands SAS and First Editions :ROFLMAO:

RallyGorgo

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Donā€™t most boat trailers have surge-brakes (hydraulic, operate by a master cylinder built into the trailer tongue)? If it has those you donā€™t need a brake controller in whatever vehicle you use to pull the trailer.

Towing more than what is recommended with the Bronco, that call is on you. If something happens and you say ā€œbut the guys online saidā€¦.ā€, you will get laughed at. I would probably try it if I had no other options but, thankfully, I do (having a 3/4-ton pickup really comes in handy at times).
Ford Bronco Towing question 71528547030__58DB7362-D566-4BA0-8942-444E5E589091

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Towing limits are based on a number of things:

Engine - we're good here
Torque and horsepower -check

Cooling - not so sure about the trans, especially on inclines.

Brakes - I don't know what's in the Ranger, but I do know 17 inch rims don't allow for big rotors and pads. Overheating can lead to no braking. Even getting slotted rotors would help with cooling.

Suspension- nope, maybe look into something like sumo springs, ( I have no first hand experience with these) but lots of airbag type products to help offset the sag from the tongue weight.

Weight distribution hitch wouldn't hurt either.

Bottom line, you have to look at the weakest points and work up from there.

alzito

Raptor
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, FE & F250
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Hi,
the Engine/trans/brakes can easily handle it. The problem is mainly the rear crossmember that the hitch is attached to. Keep in mind that 3500 was standard tow rating with two 150 lb passengers, the FE weighs more with skid plates/sway bar disconnect,etc (like the badlands) so the actual capacity is around 3200 And remember tongue weight is only 350 lbs. Ford increased capacity on the Raptor by adding two braces in the rear from the hitch/rear crossmember to another frame area. These go where the muffler is located on standard Bronco. Plz see attached pic

So here is the deal, can you do it, sure, you can do whatever you want, although you will be outside the published capacity for the vehicle. Depending on your particular circumstances, Mountain roads or flat, highway of local roads may come into your decision to do or not. Your risk is if you are in some type of accident your insurance company may not cover you, secondarily if you have a panic stop there is a slim chance that damage may happen to the vehicle, particular the weak
Damn heavy Badlands SAS and First Editions :ROFLMAO:
link which is the rear crossmember.

if you do decide to do, keep the load in the Bronco very low, like just you in the vehicle. Then also do what you can to lower the weight of the load, take off anchor, accessories, fuel, etc. This is what I would do if I had no other choice. Secondarily/preferably call a friend that likes going out on the water with you that has a pick up truck or something that has 5k+ capacity and buy them lunch or something. :)

25218B1F-0883-4492-9B37-7F08C16231E2.jpeg

24317F8F-AAF2-44AD-910B-FE89F8D6D78F.jpeg
Sponsored