Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sport mode
Thanks, I suppose a compromise would be to use the Sport mode when I anticipate being in a situation where I need that instantaneous kick and normal mode for most everything else on road.
Sponsored

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

(Donā€™t have my bronco yet)
Can you click the gear selector button on the AT to drop it 2-3 gears right as you go to accelerate? So youā€™re speeding up the downshift and taking the decision out of the computerā€™s (slower) hands?

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interestingly enough the exhaust video I just watched for the Bronco had the entire suspension lift up rather than compress as soon as the vehicle started rolling. I found it intriguing.
Correct, it is lifting because the energy causing it to 'squat' has been transferred into forward progress so the torque moment acting to compress it from a stop is now being used to propel it forward. Once moving, the inertia of the vehicle no longer requires the suspension to load up before moving forward, so to speak. Once the torque is being used to move forward, it unloads the suspension, vehicle raises up. (very simplified, real time analysis of a moving suspension would tax a supercomputer working finite element calculations)

For an extreme exampe; brake torque your engine at a stop, suspension will compress, lift foot off brake and it will transition to forward motion at the same time the suspension decompressess.

Perfect-Beast-2

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100 / 1980 F150 Stepside / 2019 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I use this on my F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost (waiting for my bronco to show up) and it makes it feel like a completely different vehicle. This takes care of the slow throttle response which is probably a bigger culprit than turbo lag.
Sport mode in the Bronco is pretty good! But, as my previous vehicle was F150 Sport mode was better in the F150. Maybe the bigger engine, but also maybe the FWD Auto (4A) which the Bronco doesn't have.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Correct, it is lifting because the energy causing it to 'squat' has been transferred into forward progress so the torque moment acting to compress it from a stop is now being used to propel it forward. Once moving, the inertia of the vehicle no longer requires the suspension to load up before moving forward, so to speak. Once the torque is being used to move forward, it unloads the suspension, vehicle raises up. (very simplified, real time analysis of a moving suspension would tax a supercomputer working finite element calculations)

For an extreme exampe; brake torque your engine at a stop, suspension will compress, lift foot off brake and it will transition to forward motion at the same time the suspension decompressess.
As I sit at my desk, I am currently taking acceleration data I collected last week and comparing two accelerometers to determine displacement of a part on a vehicle. It doesn't take a super computer to determine relative displacement of a suspension stroke.

Sponsored

MyBHinds

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have the 2.7. It is the first turbo Iā€™ve owned. I am used to a V8 and V6 supercharged.

The 2.7 is plenty strong, etc..no complaints. My only concern is the turbo lag in situations where I need to hurry up and get out of the way.

Iā€™m having to always second guess whether or not to, ā€œmake that moveā€ to go around someone for fear of the turbo lag making such a move a, ā€œclose call .ā€

As a result, my driving strategy has changed in heavy interstate traffic. I donā€™t have the confidence to switch lanes, etc.. Also I have less confidence to pull out from a dead stop into traffic.

I suppose itā€™s something you have to adjust to with this engine. Sport mode may make it better, problem is, I donā€™t think it is practical to stay in sport mode all the time.

Any advice from experienced ecoboost/turbo people? I realize driving a V8, etc.. are options, however, other than the turbo lag, I love the engine. I plan to drive my Bronco for a long time (unless Ford ever produces a V8 Bronco-not holding my breath).
Pedal Commander... it's awesome and will make you feel like you're driving a completely different vehicle. Have it on my bronco and super easy to switch from sport to racing to city or completely turned off. You know how it is some days you're just chilling and not really caring about getting anywhere in a hurry so you just switch it off. Other days you have the jam come on in your playlist and just want to go with it. Push that button to sport and get on it.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another vote for Sprint Booster here! The biggest lag turned out to be the throttle itself, and this little baby gets rid of as much or as little of that lag that you want, with different settings.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 2.7. It is the first turbo Iā€™ve owned. I am used to a V8 and V6 supercharged.

The 2.7 is plenty strong, etc..no complaints. My only concern is the turbo lag in situations where I need to hurry up and get out of the way.

Iā€™m having to always second guess whether or not to, ā€œmake that moveā€ to go around someone for fear of the turbo lag making such a move a, ā€œclose call .ā€

As a result, my driving strategy has changed in heavy interstate traffic. I donā€™t have the confidence to switch lanes, etc.. Also I have less confidence to pull out from a dead stop into traffic.

I suppose itā€™s something you have to adjust to with this engine. Sport mode may make it better, problem is, I donā€™t think it is practical to stay in sport mode all the time.

Any advice from experienced ecoboost/turbo people? I realize driving a V8, etc.. are options, however, other than the turbo lag, I love the engine. I plan to drive my Bronco for a long time (unless Ford ever produces a V8 Bronco-not holding my breath).
I've never felt that with the 2.3 šŸ¤·
I've had cars a LOT worse for lag

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been driving a 15 F-350 PowerStroke for 6.5 years now. Lag is measured with a calendar for the one giant turbo in the middle of the motor. Never been a problem once you learn when to mash it to time the freight train of power that eventually comes on.

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, I suppose a compromise would be to use the Sport mode when I anticipate being in a situation where I need that instantaneous kick and normal mode for most everything else on road.
Yep, this is what I do.

Sponsored

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
HAving over 8000 miles and almost 200 hours behind the wheel I suggest it is probably not turbo lag you are experiencing. The transmission has 10 gears, 3 of which, I believe, are all overdrive. Anytime you are putting along you are most likely in 8,9 or 10th gear and being overdrive will respond sluggish when pedal is stomped as you can't just go from 10th to 4th, it has to drop down through each gear in turn (unless I am wrong)

Two options change this transmission lag, Sport mode which changes shift points, and if so equipped, the Trailer Towing button, which when pressed should shut off all overdrive gears.
Is there a trailer tow button? I have the rising package but no tow mode?

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

If this "turbo lag" makes you second guess your move because it would be a "close call" then you shouldn't have made the move in the first place.

If it has changed your driving strategy - it sounds like it's for the betterment of everyone else on the road around you.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the 10spd auto have an actual manual mode - meaning when put in M, it no longer shifts on it's own? I do not think it does - but this issue would seem to be easily rectified with a true manual trans which would allow YOU to be in charge of a downshift and the resultant power band - like a 7spd as an example... :)

It does sound as if the pedal commander would help - but let's also remember that the Ford tune is supposed to be coming soon...

Perfect-Beast-2

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100 / 1980 F150 Stepside / 2019 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

HAving over 8000 miles and almost 200 hours behind the wheel I suggest it is probably not turbo lag you are experiencing. The transmission has 10 gears, 3 of which, I believe, are all overdrive. Anytime you are putting along you are most likely in 8,9 or 10th gear and being overdrive will respond sluggish when pedal is stomped as you can't just go from 10th to 4th, it has to drop down through each gear in turn (unless I am wrong)

Two options change this transmission lag, Sport mode which changes shift points, and if so equipped, the Trailer Towing button, which when pressed should shut off all overdrive gears.
Trailer Towing button? I may have missed that in the intro to your bronco class (which isn't real.)

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Try switching to sport mode next time and report back. It won't make it a sports car but it'll definitely help.
Sponsored