First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the 2.7. It is the first turbo I’ve owned. I am used to a V8 and V6 supercharged.

The 2.7 is plenty strong, etc..no complaints. My only concern is the turbo lag in situations where I need to hurry up and get out of the way.

I’m having to always second guess whether or not to, “make that move” to go around someone for fear of the turbo lag making such a move a, “close call .”

As a result, my driving strategy has changed in heavy interstate traffic. I don’t have the confidence to switch lanes, etc.. Also I have less confidence to pull out from a dead stop into traffic.

I suppose it’s something you have to adjust to with this engine. Sport mode may make it better, problem is, I don’t think it is practical to stay in sport mode all the time.

Any advice from experienced ecoboost/turbo people? I realize driving a V8, etc.. are options, however, other than the turbo lag, I love the engine. I plan to drive my Bronco for a long time (unless Ford ever produces a V8 Bronco-not holding my breath).
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are driving a heavy vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity. Ford, for whatever reason, although a lot of folks, including me, believe it is to protect the transmission, appears to have programed in a bunch of torque management (reduction) in the lower gears. Combined with the weight and soft suspension that wastes the intitial energy compressing the rear suspension before moving the truck forward, the truck becomes sluggish feeling. Quite frankly it is probably a good thing so that folks don't over-drive the chassis on the road, but that is a discussion for another day.

Love the Bronco for what it is, cruise slowly, smell the roses, and savor the low speed climb up a trail. If you want a vehicle to zip through traffic like shit through a goose, you might have made the wrong balance choice in your vehicle selection. No shame in that, test drives were hard to get. Even then, they don't really teach you much about a vehicle in a few minutes of driving. There will be plenty of people dumping these as time goes on, the compromises vs a road car are substantial. Life is short my friend, if a Bronco doesn't fit with your style, sell it now, you might even come out ahead, and get something else (the new Jeep GC's can still be gotten with the 345 V-8.)

If you dislike it enough to complain, time isn't going to fix it, just make you miserable for longer.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it's mainly the electronic throttle lag that your noticing, not actual turbo lag. People like sport mode because it increasesthe pedal sensitivity.

You can try addinga throttle boosterif you don't want to keep it in sport mode.

-First world problems

Sponsored

kreuselh

Wildtrak
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f150 lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have had many forced induction cars and I don’t think the lag is that bad in the bronco. Turbos are tiny they spool up quickly but if you want to reduce the lag get a jb4 and up the boost. Power will come on much faster. Once more aftermarket parts like high flow cats or downpipes are available it’ll reduce the lag even more.

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You are driving a heavy vehicle with a relatively high center of gravity. Ford, for whatever reason, although a lot of folks, including me, believe it is to protect the transmission, appears to have programed in a bunch of torque management (reduction) in the lower gears. Combined with the weight and soft suspension that wastes the intitial energy compressing the rear suspension before moving the truck forward, the truck becomes sluggish feeling. Quite frankly it is probably a good thing so that folks don't over-drive the chassis on the road, but that is a discussion for another day.

Love the Bronco for what it is, cruise slowly, smell the roses, and savor the low speed climb up a trail. If you want a vehicle to zip through traffic like shit through a goose, you might have made the wrong balance choice in your vehicle selection. No shame in that, test drives were hard to get. Even then, they don't really teach you much about a vehicle in a few minutes of driving. There will be plenty of people dumping these as time goes on, the compromises vs a road car are substantial. Life is short my friend, if a Bronco doesn't fit with your style, sell it now, you might even come out ahead, and get something else (the new Jeep GC's can still be gotten with the 345 V-8.)

If you dislike it enough to complain, time isn't going to fix it, just make you miserable for longer.
Very well said.

Shoresy

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought a throttle booster/controller and made a big difference in performance with my manual transmission Badlands.
Don’t think your noticing turbo lag, but rather intentional ECU programming by Ford.
Even Baja mode in my Badlands was underwhelming.

Last edited:

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the 2.7. It is the first turbo I’ve owned. I am used to a V8 and V6 supercharged.

The 2.7 is plenty strong, etc..no complaints. My only concern is the turbo lag in situations where I need to hurry up and get out of the way.

I’m having to always second guess whether or not to, “make that move” to go around someone for fear of the turbo lag making such a move a, “close call .”

As a result, my driving strategy has changed in heavy interstate traffic. I don’t have the confidence to switch lanes, etc.. Also I have less confidence to pull out from a dead stop into traffic.

I suppose it’s something you have to adjust to with this engine. Sport mode may make it better, problem is, I don’t think it is practical to stay in sport mode all the time.

Any advice from experienced ecoboost/turbo people? I realize driving a V8, etc.. are options, however, other than the turbo lag, I love the engine. I plan to drive my Bronco for a long time (unless Ford ever produces a V8 Bronco-not holding my breath).
Take this with a grain of salt because I have not yet driven the 2.7, but I’m wondering if it’s actually boost threshold/spool up time that you are feeling vs turbo lag. Technical difference explained here:

If it’s boost threshold, I think higher RPM would help (i.e., manual shifting or sport mode).

My single turbo I4 saabaru had horrible spool up time if I didn’t get the rpm’s up first. I had to be up around 3.5-4 to feel the torque. My 135 (twin scroll I6) had boost incredibly low with great throttle response. I believe that’s a benefit of single turbo twin scroll designs but I could be wrong. My gti is somewhere between the two. Point is, I’d try making sure I’m at 3k if I needed instantaneous throttle response. If that doesn’t help, yeah maybe it’s turbo lag.
edit: or these crappy “smart” electronic throttles of modern cars as @Shoresy just mentioned

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Combined with the weight and soft suspension that wastes the intitial energy compressing the rear suspension before moving the truck forward, the truck becomes sluggish feeling.
Interestingly enough the exhaust video I just watched for the Bronco had the entire suspension lift up rather than compress as soon as the vehicle started rolling. I found it intriguing.

turbodog

First Edition
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Excursion 6.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

HAving over 8000 miles and almost 200 hours behind the wheel I suggest it is probably not turbo lag you are experiencing. The transmission has 10 gears, 3 of which, I believe, are all overdrive. Anytime you are putting along you are most likely in 8,9 or 10th gear and being overdrive will respond sluggish when pedal is stomped as you can't just go from 10th to 4th, it has to drop down through each gear in turn (unless I am wrong)

Two options change this transmission lag, Sport mode which changes shift points, and if so equipped, the Trailer Towing button, which when pressed should shut off all overdrive gears.

Hornet

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sport mode

OP
OP
Last Ride Bronco

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Thanks for the response. I love my Bronco and will live with what it is. I guess I was looking for some “Jedi “ secret since I’ve never had a turbo before.😎
Sponsored