First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Dr Badlands non-SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
" Why do you think the rest of the world pays $8 a gallon? " It's called TAXES. The raw cost of fuel is global and the same all over the world. In the USA the feds take about 20 cents/gallon (somewhat lower for gas and higher for diesel). In California the state take is 80 cents/gallon. In addition there are local taxes. In Europe the gov't take is crazy high, that's the difference. You can read any garbage on the Internet.
As a note: California pays an estimated $0.80/gal in taxes on gas. The price per gallon in Sacramento is around $5.15. In Galveston, it's around $3. Where does the other $1.35 come from?
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like to your personal detriment. I've threatened to leave positions and have ended up doing so and have also ended up staying, regardless it's always been hugely advantageous to me. Free market...
I've not threatened my employer, or their livelihood.
When I'm ready to leave, I leave. I also give notice to not leave my employer in a bad spot. Burning bridges does not seem like a wise career choice. I've ended up working over people I've worked under before. No bad blood.

As pointed out prior, likely not the fault of line workers. They are fed parts and must install them regardless. Hopefully, it gets picked up later in QC inspection.
Are line workers the only UAW members in the negotiations?
How about the workers stacking the assembly queue with the incorrect parts that must be installed in the current vehicle?
How about the QC workers, are they part of this agreement?

thedrdonna

Badlands
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From 2021, but it looks like there are more fees in California than just the tax. That might be the difference. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco UAW and Ford have reached a contract agreement! [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 1698361335377

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...-in-taxes-and-fees-for-gasoline-in-california
That's a good point. I forgot to include Texas' taxes ($0.20) and the federal excise tax ($0.18). Galveston's sales tax is 8.25%, which is pretty close to Sacramento's, so that's a wash. Thus, California pays about $1.19 at the pump, and Texas pays about $0.48. Altogether, the difference is closer to $1.44/gallon. I still think it's a valid question, though, given that clearly something in addition to taxes/fees is driving regional cost differences.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
$40 an hour is $80k a year. If you know engineers that don't make that much, they are getting screwed. My wife is an accountant and makes that in NC (RTW State) and is considering moving jobs as she has been offered 6 figures.
When they get out of school they arent worth much to the employers who have to spend 6 months to a year training them. It takes a good 3 to 4 years to start making good money. Even engineers with 25 plus years are at 140k....Given the stress and the liability that goes along with it, making 80k a year at an assembly plant might be a better option.

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL, does anybody remember when B6G was sending care packages to the line workers???
Because they were so valued???
.... or because you wanted something from them?

Funny how the feelings change when they asked for better pay instead of pizzas and donuts.

^^^ I've been preaching that for years.
The college degree scam.
Get a degree and you'll make a good living. You won't have to have one of those (low paying) (HA!) physical labor jobs.

Yet, they all fell for the line.
Now they are all undercutting each other to get work.

So many believe wholeheartedly that construction or assembly line workers are "lower tier".

"Lower tier" ... words actually used by one of those uber smart college folks to refer to me. It still stings a little.

In the meantime, all I could think was .."This "lower tier" construction worker knows for a fact that his pay and benefits are far ...FAR.... superior to yours."

Lower tier.
The words may have stung, but I do feel sorry for that person.
They bought a line from a talking head. They have to make themselves feel good about their choices somehow.

It is not our fault that others cannot or will not do our type of work ... it's not our fault they won't work as hard as we did to get through the OJT and classroom training.... shit fucking pay while we were learning ...
..... but they absolutely need somebody to do that work at the level we can do it.
It kind of sets the dynamic for how much pay we can negotiate for.

If they are dissatisfied with their pay, do something to correct the situation. Demand better treatment!
You'd think they'd teach that in school/college.

But don't hate on me because my 5 years of OJT and classroom training paid off pretty well.
It is my responsibility to give my family the best life I can.
I've done well in that regard, some people hate me for that.

Probably the same way I hate on the Executives for their extravagant pay and benefits. (hmmm .... :unsure:...interesting thought there)

We (the entire construction industry) are hiring, by the way...
.. in dire need of skilled labor for all trades.

Just sayin' .....
Amen Brother! All the highbrows looking down their noses at those "manual labor" workers UNTIL their fucking AC stops working, car won't start, water won't get hot or electricity goes off! This country runs because of the trades. If the price of a Bronco goes up and you don't like it then don't buy the damn thing. If you don't like the fact that an assembly line worker makes more than you, go ask for a damn raise or do something to make your labor more valuable. Go get another job that pays more!

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

BS. I have also traveled the world many times over and last months I spent three weeks in Spain and Portugal. The cost of living there is much lower there to the point I hired an immigrations lawyer to learn more about retiring early there.
BS, LOL, really, I cannot speak to Spain or Portugal today, why not move to South America? What was it like living in Denmark, Gemmary and Italy in the late 70's? Was it was much more expensive than living in Collage Park MD (where I receive my post graduate degree, , IA or Davis CA where I receive my graduate degrees)?

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What do you honestly have against the workers? The bronco MSRP has gone up since 2021 and the workers have gotten a 3% raise and 6% over the last 4? If you believe that workers compensation is the sole reason for price increases you need to do some research.
I don’t disagree that the big guys probably didn’t lose any of their salary by increasing car prices in recent years but don’t be fooled that they are not going to increase them again to keep up the hourly workers raise. All this means, car prices just went up again.

FootPain

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BB 17 Explorer 04 Mach 1 98 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don’t disagree that the big guys probably didn’t lose any of their salary by increasing car prices in recent years but don’t be fooled that they are not going to increase them again to keep up the hourly workers raise. All this means, car prices just went up again.
That's exactly what I said....

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Workers will receive a cumulative 25 percent wage increase, including 11 percent upon ratification. With the return of a cost-of-living adjustment, the overall increase is expected to equal 33 percent, the union said.

^^^ is this common core math used by UAW?

thedrdonna

Badlands
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As was stated, though, the increase will be about $900 per vehicle. That’s not to say it’s nothing, just that the vast majority of cost increases are not because of the unions or the workers, they’re choices that Ford made.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As was stated, though, the increase will be about $900 per vehicle. That’s not to say it’s nothing, just that the vast majority of cost increases are not because of the unions or the workers, they’re choices that Ford made.
My 2022 4DR Badlands stickered around 59k. When i specced out a 2024 4DR Badlands identical to my 2022 it stickered at around 67k and that was several months before the strike.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I can say is that Consumer Reports praises the build quality of the Maverick (Produced in Hermosillo Mexico). Meanwhile, the MAP produced Bronco is significantly lower on their rating scale (Slightly above Jeep Wrangler low).

Makes you wonder if production will eventually move outside of the U.S.
I owned a Maverick and 2 Sports from that plant. They were assembled very well.

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Cost increases are a result of everyone. People always want more. They want do less. No matter what decisions are made, the people at the top won’t suffer. The more people demand, the more things will cost. They may feel like they won today but things will just be more expensive tomorrow. If you want a better paying job, you have to change careers.

I don’t care. Everyone should do what is best for them. It’s just a fact, UAW didn’t stick it to Ford, they stuck it to the consumer.

Buy another car. Get another job. Don’t. I am not complaining. Just pointing out the obvious. The consumer is the one that lost today.
Sponsored