NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was being sarcastic and no one said "everything" Ford makes, uaw workers shouldn't make enough to buy a GT or something $100,000+. But a nice vehicle would be great. I think it's a sad world where people are so concerned with what others make or want from their employers. How about everyone that bashes UAW workers every time a contract negotiation is occurring states what they do and how much they earn.
Retired wrestler, and too much money to count...

OP
OP

Russ1Bronco

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
My arm from an incident at my uaw job

Screenshot_20230919_195539_Gallery.jpg
apparently they decided to build mine, started 9/12 and finished yesterday. Going through final checks and being shipped.
..Paint and final assembly were out on strike the first day which most likely means no vehicles are being driven off the line..

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not true. Robots don't last forever in terms of maintenance nor long term utility. Automation in general must have its large capital expense amortized over the lifetime of a model year (or when it's more flexible and reconfigureable across vehicle generations). Then a comparison of total labor cost vs. total automation cost can be done and it is either ROI positive or not. How much manual work vs automated work is ultimately about the total vehicle volume needed (or loosely equivalent vehicles produced per unit time).
The guys that fix them get paid more than line workers too. Granted, there's fewer of them. I have a couple Fanucs under my care and they were not cheap up front or to maintain.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.
I said if you can’t afford to pay a worker a living wage you can’t afford to do business in the US.
Reading comprehension is very very very important.
Yes it is :)

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The guys that fix them get paid more than line workers too. Granted, there's fewer of them. I have a couple Fanucs under my care and they were not cheap up front or to maintain.
this is true, robot techs get paid more - at least in our company. We have roughly 2k robots on our floor, but due to the volume we buy, we get a very, very good price. Not uncommon to see our fanucs last 10 years. Usually its the material handlers that end up with axis that need to be replaced.

We have weight limits for operators to load parts, so we will always have some level of humans on the lines loading smaller harder to load parts. The flip side is all the robots, automation and PLC incorporated into our process has driven more higher wage jobs such as maintenance and robot techs.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So with Friday being a pivotable day (with a potential increase in strikes), does anyone in the know have any updates on the direction we will likely see come Friday?

I'd love to ask the Ford account on here but think that will get me banned 🤪
nothing worth repeating on here as there is too much speculation. The suppliers are talking about some leaked info, but with no credible sources as of now it's wait till Friday

Sponsored

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I was speaking generally and did not intend to point my comment at you.
My apologies.

This comes up at every big contract negotiation, UPS, UAW, USW, etc etc.

Generally speaking, the dialog is , "we" don't like CEO's making 16 years of wages in one week, nor do "we" like when the frontline workers ask for better wages.
I just enjoy the irony that nobody is allowed to win. I also enjoy the irony that 99.98% of the people that side with the CEO'S are actually in the "worker bee" group, they just dont want to believe it, nor do they want to see another worker bee get a better deal than they have.
Oh, the irony....
I took no offense sir,
Ive been union for 20 years (almost) I just have a skewed view of the world

INFINITE23

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 C63 AMG, 2015 GL 450 4M, 2023 OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ahhh. I see the issue now. You don't believe in hard work. I dropped out of college and worked hard. I'm also curious and like learning. There's not much I can't build or repair from carpentry to circuitry. I own 4 businesses currently. It happened because of hard work. Not "living wage" hand outs. What do you do for a living?
I fly drones for a living, have a degree in CSE and EE.

INFINITE23

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not true. Robots don't last forever in terms of maintenance nor long term utility. Automation in general must have its large capital expense amortized over the lifetime of a model year (or when it's more flexible and reconfigureable across vehicle generations). Then a comparison of total labor cost vs. total automation cost can be done and it is either ROI positive or not. How much manual work vs automated work is ultimately about the total vehicle volume needed (or loosely equivalent vehicles produced per unit time).
Workers comp insurance etc will make line work manual labor obsolete within the next 20 years

brrke

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NA8 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Damn, so many angry Americans this was a good thread read.

INFINITE23

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
nothing worth repeating on here as there is too much speculation. The suppliers are talking about some leaked info, but with no credible sources as of now it's wait till Friday
Dana just announced layoffs so I’m assuming no deal anytime soon.
Sponsored