James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At least we agree that this 14 page thread is "frivolity".
Always good to see another tight five player! I played loosehead for many years
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This sounds odd. But as a general note, 4WD vehicles are not magic. While they are fine to go through a bit of sand (which is also whats Sand mode is for), traversing dunes or deep sand is terrible on a vehicle. Similar to how 4WDs are designed to get you through muddy trails, but are ruined when you intentionally dive into a deep mud hole to see what happens.

My brother had a brand-new 1996 Eddie Bauer full-size Bronco. Day two of ownership, he put mud tires on it. That night, he and his friends went deep down a trail in basically a swamp, assuming 4WD and mud tires are magic and possess super powers. Buried it up past the floor boards. The truck never ran right again.

Choose your lines wisely.

Always gives me the heebie jeebies, as well, when I see someone driving along the shore splashing through salt water.

EDIT TO ADD: I re-read my post and want to make clear I’m not condescending to the OP. Just saying that deep “dunes” of sand probably qualify as “extreme,” and something more for specialized dune buggies or other ATV. Shared brother’s story in hopes of heading someone off before they repeat it. You never know where the line is until you cross it, unless you hear about someone ruining a gorgeous Eddie Bauer as a cautionary tale. 😎 One of his buddies proceeded to bury his own ‘80s Bronco trying to pull him out. My dad then came out there around midnight in HIS ‘87 Bronco and had to call a wrecker.

I hope the OP is able to fix the issue without facing ongoing problems.
Extreme, as in Ford testing the Bronco at Silver Lakes Sand Dunes, where this member was?

https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/2021-ford-bronco-spotted-testing-at-silver-lake-sand-dunes/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/drone-footage-of-2021-bronco-at-silver-lake-sand-dunes.3445/

Extreme, as in Bronco Sand mode?

If not, what was the Bronco built for?

Ford Bronco Updated 7/29 [Engine Seized, Full Replacement Under Warranty] My Bronco shut down after sand dunes run Sand Mode

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wonder about that sort of thing in the future. There is proposed legislation to have breathalyzer technology required in new vehicles, preventing start of the vehicle. In the future there could be other methods included to disable a vehicle from starting for various reasons.
They already do that with LoJack and OnStar

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are some dunes lovers in here who are very sensitive.

Okay, you've now educated me on the dunes. I'll take your word for it since you are experienced in deep sand. I don't get the appeal. I have experience in ridiculously deep mud and just offered for conversation that perhaps someone got too much sand in their system.

I'll never make the mistake of trying to contribute again. The Sand People have spoken. No terrain can ever, ever intrude in a vehicle's inner workings and fuck shit up. NEVER. Ford tested it, and THERE IS NO WAY they used professional drivers to test it and NO WAY the OP didn't take the EXACT SAME COURSE as they tested it on. The Sand People know all!

Ford tested the '96 Bronco in mud, so I must have made up my anecdote about when my brother buried the sumbitch in a Mississippi mudhole and it was all fucked up forever.

And sand isn't the kind of substance that gets deep in everything that gets in it, and it certainly isn't abrasive and doesn't ever ruin anything. It's also easy to get out of stuff. I think we can officially rule out that any sand from the dunes traversed immediately prior to the Bronco breaking down is remotely even a suspect in this to consider for even a half a minute.

Last edited:

dragon6172

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But likely dormant until the tow package is built to order...
Trailer sway control is not dormant and doesn't require a tow package. I have an Explorer that has no tow package but has trailer sway control option in settings that I can turn on and off. You have to remember that people put aftermarket tow packages on their rides.

Sponsored

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@North7, the links you posted to Silver Lakes show mild sand like out at my local lake. The OP was talking about "dunes" which implies Mad Max or Steve McQueen shit. If it was in fact the mild lakeside sand you showed me, which isn't "dunes," then that's the kind of sand a 4WD is capable for and what Sand mode is for.

However, considering (as far as I know) no diagnostics have been run, I don't understand how anyone is aghast and throwing a fit that sand is still in the running for discussion in diagnosis, considering that's where it just was and, as the dealer, noted, the Bronco has lots of sand in it.

I have no idea what's wrong with the truck, and neither does anyone here yet.

As someone with a day-one reservation who sacrificed my tow package to get my Bronco sooner but is still waiting for it, I'll just sit back with some popcorn while people yell at each other over what's wrong with the tow package someone somehow got on a Bronco they've already been having a blast in.

Surely Ford who has been so honest about MIC tops and tow packages causing delays can figure out this tech problem right quick--or more likely say, "Hey, we know that sucks balls, and we feel for ya," and mail the OP a coloring book and Bronco playset as compensation.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@North7, the links you posted to Silver Lakes show mild sand like out at my local lake. The OP was talking about "dunes" which implies Mad Max or Steve McQueen shit. If it was in fact the mild lakeside sand you showed me, which isn't "dunes," then that's the kind of sand a 4WD is capable for and what Sand mode is for.

However, considering (as far as I know) no diagnostics have been run, I don't understand how anyone is aghast and throwing a fit that sand is still in the running for discussion in diagnosis, considering that's where it just was and, as the dealer, noted, the Bronco has lots of sand in it.

I have no idea what's wrong with the truck, and neither does anyone here yet.

As someone with a day-one reservation who sacrificed my tow package to get my Bronco sooner but is still waiting for it, I'll just sit back with some popcorn while people yell at each other over what's wrong with the tow package someone somehow got on a Bronco they've already been having a blast in.

Surely Ford who has been so honest about MIC tops and tow packages causing delays can figure out this tech problem right quick--or more likely say, "Hey, we know that sucks balls, and we feel for ya," and mail the OP a coloring book and Bronco playset as compensation.
You're correct, none of us know what broke yet. All I was posting was Silver Lakes Sand Dunes is one of Fords testing areas. Just seemed like you were not aware of that, you're right the name dunes may be somewhat misleading, never been there myself. Of course none of us know how much extreme the Bronco can handle. Everyone's contributions are valuable, we all learn from each other, glad you gave us the warning about mud, I'll let someone else try it first.

https://thinkdunes.com/

Ford Bronco Updated 7/29 [Engine Seized, Full Replacement Under Warranty] My Bronco shut down after sand dunes run share

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have cooled down now. Each passing day is driving me nuts waiting for this fucking material possession on four wheels.

Warning lights is a problem I'd like to have.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Factory off road or not if the failure occurred due to an outside influence (sand, mud, water, etc), Ford is not required to cover it. Warranty covers defects that occur due to manufacturer related failures in quality and workmanship. It seems unlikely the OP caused it, but don’t let the vehicles intended use lull you into a sense of false security when it comes to warranty coverage.
I think you are right about this. It is definitely making me rethink getting my Bronco. I 99ed mine for this year as it was unlikely I’d get it anyway. I may 99 code mine for 22 as well. With that, I’ve never had an issue with my 4Runner TRD Off-Road. Traded it not too long ago when release of came out, prepping for the new Bronco purchase. I’m beginning to think that may have been a mistake….Now doors didn’t come off and I only had a moon roof, but that truck is super reliable and will run until the body rots off the frame with only oil changes.

I truly hope Ford figures this out quickly because I’d much rather have a new Bronco, but refuse to spend my hard earned money on a piece of junk based on optimum conditions and potential. I’m a real conditions kind of guy, so show me what was promised with the true results. I cannot afford a garage queen for my daily driver that is also used for weekend adventures.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trailer sway control is not dormant and doesn't require a tow package. I have an Explorer that has no tow package but has trailer sway control option in settings that I can turn on and off. You have to remember that people put aftermarket tow packages on their rides.
Im pretty sure the Bronco doesn't have this setting... And no t
Took my Bronco (Badlands, 2.7) to Silver Lake ORV Area in MI last week and spent a couple of hours tooling around the dunes. It was our first time on the dunes, I didn't baby it out there but also didn't do anything crazy that would land me on YouTube. Kept it in sand mode the entire time, had plenty of power, handled great, didn't get stuck. Overall, my family had a great time!

Made it about 80 miles down the road when this fault popped up on the dash. Was running fine on the way home up until then. No strange noises, temp levels normal, no noticeable leaks or anything. Next thing I knew, the engine stopped and we coasted to a halt on the side of the highway. Tried starting it a few times after letting it rest, but it would not even attempt to turn over, just kept displaying this error and the "Service Advancetrac" fault. All interior electronics were working fine, but ended up having to get it towed to the dealer.

It's still being diagnosed, but dealer mentioned a lot of sand underneath and that I might need to file a claim with my insurance which took me by surprise. Am I out of line thinking it should have been able to handle a trip to the dunes?

Hoping it's just a bad sensor or something minor. Love my Bronco but can't help feeling disappointed that it didn't make it back from it's first trip off-road.

Ford Bronco Updated 7/29 [Engine Seized, Full Replacement Under Warranty] My Bronco shut down after sand dunes run share

Some more info / Q&A from thread:

Doors on the entire time.

The yellow check engine light came on about 5 seconds or so before the trailer brake fault and loss of power from engine. Will definitely keep this thread updated as I hear more.

Yes, I have the factory trailer towing package. Haven't towed anything yet. That would be interesting though because as you've mentioned we've seen a few ABS/Service Advancetrac errors pop up over the last few weeks.
Are you updating the OP? This thread has gotten ridiculous....

So you lost power or the engine totally shutdown?

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Took my Bronco (Badlands, 2.7) to Silver Lake ORV Area in MI last week and spent a couple of hours tooling around the dunes. It was our first time on the dunes, I didn't baby it out there but also didn't do anything crazy that would land me on YouTube. Kept it in sand mode the entire time, had plenty of power, handled great, didn't get stuck. Overall, my family had a great time!

Made it about 80 miles down the road when this fault popped up on the dash. Was running fine on the way home up until then. No strange noises, temp levels normal, no noticeable leaks or anything. Next thing I knew, the engine stopped and we coasted to a halt on the side of the highway. Tried starting it a few times after letting it rest, but it would not even attempt to turn over, just kept displaying this error and the "Service Advancetrac" fault. All interior electronics were working fine, but ended up having to get it towed to the dealer.

It's still being diagnosed, but dealer mentioned a lot of sand underneath and that I might need to file a claim with my insurance which took me by surprise. Am I out of line thinking it should have been able to handle a trip to the dunes?

Hoping it's just a bad sensor or something minor. Love my Bronco but can't help feeling disappointed that it didn't make it back from it's first trip off-road.

Some more info / Q&A from thread:

Doors on the entire time.

The yellow check engine light came on about 5 seconds or so before the trailer brake fault and loss of power from engine. Will definitely keep this thread updated as I hear more.

Yes, I have the factory trailer towing package. Haven't towed anything yet. That would be interesting though because as you've mentioned we've seen a few ABS/Service Advancetrac errors pop up over the last few weeks.
Damn the badlands ain’t that bad it seems smh

Loupeznik

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered the tow package as well but I was unware it had a trailer brake. It doesn't seem like trailer sway control is the same thing.

Now, Trail brake is a thing and I could definitely see where that would cause a fault if you were on the highway with it. I went back a nd looked at the photo and it doesn't say "Trail Brake".

Maybe the software fault is in the phrasing of the fault?

Jug

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2021 F150 hybrid. It gets error messages and warnings all the time. I need a dippy bird on the OK button to clear them all.
Sponsored