Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

His tag says Wild Trak, so it is the 2.7. Man how I wish they optioned a nice small block non turbo V8.
I’d love for Ford to make like a 3.5 or 4.0 liter pushrod V8. Like a mini Godzilla. The Godzillas external dims are very small.

The eco motors are nice but there’s something to be said about simplicity.
Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lima, same plant that made the Pinto motor, the O.G. 2.3L.
Welcome to ecoboost roulette.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You fail to realize the scope of this problem.
I full-well understand the scope of this problem. I'm rolling the dice everytime I pull out of the driveway.

Remember the old Amex commercial, "don't leave home without it"? Same now apples to spare clothes, a thermal blanket, and everything I'll need to be stranded on the roadside with dogs.

Does anyone know the suspect engine build dates?

Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it is reasonable to wait a few days for the dealer to get info on how long it will take. You can also lay the groundwork for reasonable questions such as how long they will provide a rental. If the answer is not indefinitely until repair is done, then I think it is fair to discuss other things such as making monthly payments on a new vehicle that is in the shop for an extended period of time or if there are options such as Ford buy-back and what the details are.
The brutal truth, though, is that this would be the case for any vehicle undergoing repair, and the dealer is really under no obligation to offer a rental unless you have a warranty that dictates. Same with loss of funds making payments on a vehicle that is in the shop. If they have given you a rental, then you have 4 wheels to get you where you need to go, just not the 4 wheels you prefer. I totally get the frustration and venting on the board. Easy for me to say this since I am not in your situation, but try to take a deep breath and then go after the problem with a clear head.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I deal with warranties like this often though only at a bike shop.

When we replace a broken frame we hear it all the time...."I just want a new bike."

Unfortunately that's not how it works. There is no reason to give the customer and entire new product when only part of it is broken. The manufacturer would much rather replace a new $2000 frame that's broken than replace an $8000 bike in it's entirety for no other reason than the customer wants one.

I can see the frustration. It's a bummer. Especially on a Bronco. But Ford has no reason, and no capacity, to replace full vehicles because of a partial failure. I understand that an engine and turbo are a substantial part of the vehicle as a whole but there's is no reason why Ford should deliver you a full vehicle.

I know it's easier to say this from my couch, than it is from your perspective, but I'd rather have a new engine and turbo in a month than wait who knows how long for a new Bronco.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:
OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I full-well understand the scope of this problem. I'm rolling the dice everytime I pull out of the driveway.

Remember the old Amex commercial, "don't leave home without it"? Same now apples to spare clothes, a thermal blanket, and everything I'll need to be stranded on the roadside with dogs.

Does anyone know the suspect engine build dates?
My engine was built on 7/28.

Sponsored
OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s threads like these that make it very hard to stay pumped. We all basically got to hope and pray our bronco isent going to be a lemon when we get it .
I will tell you this, if its any consolation - aside from this problem - I LOVED driving mine. It was fantastic.

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You're lucky you got a rental. Most the other people with failures got shafted on that even. Get your engine build date if possible so we can compare it to the others as a data point.

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label, located on the rear of the vacuum pump and on the LH valve cover, contains the following:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

ItemDescription
1Engine plant
2Drive type
3Vehicle line
4Engine displacement
5Engine part number
6Engine build date YYDDD (DDD=Julian Date [001-365])
A poster here , Flip, pulled the engine build date from the VIN. Appears to be 7/28/21.

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When someone else’s bronco has an issue- “relax man. It’ll be all good. Ford will take care of you. The (insert part here) is solid and reliable. It’ll get fixed in a few weeks/months”.

When your bronco has an issue- “ Ford better part the Red Sea, make the CEO personally ensure I get a new one, Levine should personally deliver it to me, it should be replaced in one week max, etc…..”.

It’s all about perspective. If it were mine I’d be beyond pissed so I’d probably feel just like the OP. It’s easy to be all high and mighty when it’s not yours.
Good perspective. I appreciate it.
Sponsored