Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
LOL, nice nickname for the Bronco...
Texas wouldn't let me have "DUN DRTY" on my plate, so "SEIY0KU" was what I decided to do.

Although a week after getting my Bronco, I saw a Texas plate that I never expected, "❤ LBFM". I was beside myself with "and I can't have DUN DRTY?!?"
Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Texas wouldn't let me have "DUN DRTY" on my plate, so "SEIY0KU" was what I decided to do.

Although a week after getting my Bronco, I saw a Texas plate that I never expected, "❤ LBFM". I was beside myself with "and I can't have DUN DRTY?!?"
It was the classier option anyway desu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr BD SQ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Friday NHTSA updated their investigation

3 Investigations
for 2021 FORD BRONCO

FILTER INVESTIGATIONS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS
All (3) ENGINE (3)
September 29, 2023 NHTSA ACTION NUMBER: EA23002OPEN INVESTIGATION
Loss of Motive Power

NHTSA Action Number: EA23002
Components ENGINE
Opened From: September 29, 2023–Present
Summary

The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) received three letters from consumers in March 2022, requesting the investigation of an alleged defect in the valvetrain of model year (MY) 2021 Ford Bronco vehicles equipped with 2.7L EcoBoost engines. The petitioners allege that MY 2021 Ford Bronco vehicles are experiencing catastrophic engine failure resulting in loss of motive power in a variety of driving conditions with no ability to restart. On May 27, 2022, ODI opened a Defect Petition (DP22-001) to evaluate whether to grant or deny the petitioners’ request to investigate. ODI identified 26 Vehicle Owner Questionnaires (VOQs) related to the alleged defect, leading to the granting of the petition. A Preliminary Evaluation (PE22-007) was opened on July 22, 2022, to assess the scope, frequency, and potential safety-related consequences of the alleged defect.

ODI sent an Information Request (IR) letter to Ford requesting material for both the subject 2021 Ford Bronco (25,619 vehicles), as well as additional Ford model/model year vehicle populations equipped with 2.7L EcoBoost engine including the MY 2022 Bronco (33,106 vehicles), MY 2021-2022 F-150 (155,619 vehicles), MY 2021-2022 Edge (6,889 vehicles), and MY 2021-2022 Lincoln Nautilus (8,596 vehicles). In their response to ODI’s request, Ford provided evidence of 328 customer complaints (including field reports), 487 warranty claims, and 809 engine exchanges relating to these vehicle populations. The provided data is comprised of reports of engine failure resulting in several consequences, the most common of which being loss of motive power while the vehicle is in motion. Additionally, analysis of Ford’s IR response revealed that the alleged defect is present across the “Nano” engine family, which includes both the 2.7L and 3.0L EcoBoost engine variants. Vehicles which offer the 3.0L EcoBoost engine as either standard or optional equipment include MY 2021-2022 Explorer and MY 2021-2022 Lincoln Aviator. These model/model year populations will be included within the scope of the engineering analysis and updated population and failure data will be evaluated.

During the investigation, multiple contributing factors were identified which can lead to the fracturing of the intake valves in the subject engines. Ford acknowledged that a fractured intake valve can result in catastrophic engine failure and a loss of motive power and noted that following a valve fracture, a vehicle typically requires a full engine replacement. Ford advised ODI that the defective valves were manufactured out of a specific alloy known as “Silchrome Lite”, which can become excessively hard and brittle if an over-temperature condition occurs during machining of the component. A design modification was implemented in October 2021, which changed the intake valve material to a different alloy known as “Silchrome 1”, that is less susceptible to over-temperature during machine grinding. Ford has identified that the defective intake valves commonly fail early in a vehicle’s life and has suggested that the majority of failures have already occurred.

ODI is opening an Engineering Analysis (EA) in order to 1) evaluate the scope and frequency of allegations across the expanded scope of model/model year vehicle populations equipped with the 2.7L and 3.0L EcoBoost engines, 2) coordinate with NHTSA’s Vehicle Research and Testing Center (VRTC) to evaluate field return parts, 3) analyze the effect of time-in-service on the failure rates for the affected engines, and 4) gather and review additional information to evaluate the effectiveness of Ford’s manufacturing improvements regarding the alleged defect.

To review the reports cited in the attached Opening Resume ODI Report Identification Number document, go to NHTSA.gov.

12 Affected Products
Vehicles

MAKEMODELYEAR
FORDBRONCO2021-2022
FORDEDGE2021-2022
FORDEXPLORER2021-2022
FORDF-1502021-2022
LINCOLNAVIATOR2021-2022
LINCOLNNAUTILUS2021-2022
2 Associated Documents

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's this mean in plain English? Are they going to fix it or just more legalese that means nothing?

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In other words, I would be concerned if my engine fell under that date range of those failures.
“majority of failures have already occurred.”

SCTWNB

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do we have a current list of engine failures? I have a 2021 Bronco, engine 21274 with only 3500 miles on it. As you can see I don't hardly drive it as it is a 2nd vehicle. Does anyone know if engine 21274 in the "failure" zone? I plan on keeping this Bronco "forever" so I don't put many miles on it. Thank you!

2023-10-02 18.14.26.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr BD SQ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
. . engine 21274 with only 3500 miles on it. . . Does anyone know if engine 21274 in the "failure" zone? I plan on keeping this Bronco "forever" so I don't put many miles on it. Thank you!
see this post, and this post, and this post

the "Hot Zone" was 21159 thru 21228

we believe the new valves started with 21266
(Friday NHTSA reported "October 2021")

when Ford replaced blown engines, many of the early replacements had build dates 21273 & 21274

Bottom Line: Looks like you got a good one

Sponsored

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
[M]any of the early replacements had build dates 21273 & 21274
Is that March 27, 2021 through April 27, 2021? Or, which dates? I don’t think many Broncos were built before mine at July 2, 2021.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is that March 27, 2021 through April 27, 2021? Or, which dates? I don’t think many Broncos were built before mine at July 2, 2021.
I am curious as to why, if the culprit was narrowed to a batch of valves was bad due to an earlier design flaw in the material, ALL the earlier Broncos didn't have 2.7s that grendaded (if they all used vales from that vendor)? It seems extraordinarily hit or miss...and yes it is narrowed to a pretty specific timeframe, but there are outliers that came apart as well as engines built on the same day/same line as those that are still holding together.

Art Bell

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off-Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Those 5-digit codes are the Julian build dates
e.g. 21273 --> Sept 30, 2021

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Julian Calendar

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am curious as to why, if the culprit was narrowed to a batch of valves was bad due to an earlier design flaw in the material, ALL the earlier Broncos didn't have 2.7s that grendaded (if they all used vales from that vendor)? It seems extraordinarily hit or miss...and yes it is narrowed to a pretty specific timeframe, but there are outliers that came apart as well as engines built on the same day/same line as those that are still holding together.
I wondered the same thing but didn't they say it become excessively hard and brittle if an over-temperature condition occurs during machining of the component. Perhaps this over-temperature was happening on one of their machines which might explain why it was so random or they weren't being consistent in how they were manufacturing them. My old '21 BL had a 2.7 that was built in May, just before the hot zone, there was a failed engine reported the day before mine and the day after mine. My BL never gave me a lick of problems and I hope whoever owns it now continues to have good luck, it was always in the back of my mind though. Obviously with my '23 WT I didn't let the early issues deter me from a 2.7, still really like the engine.

SRB_ Beach bum

Badlands
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lagniappeon30a.com
Vehicle(s)
1977 Ford Bronco, 2010 Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Currently at 24k on my 21 2 door, Julian date 196- July 15, 2021. No issues to date. Reading through the thread, appears in clear gap among hot zone. Hope those with failures get their engines replaced expeditiously and hopefully no collateral damage from the failure.
Sponsored