Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
i have a 2.3 three pedal and it has a USB Type-A and USB Type-C ports under the center dash, forward of the shift box.

Supposedly the C spec should deliver more power... but has it been tested?

Has anyone tested the output of the ports to see if the Type-C delivers more amps, thus wattage?

The reason I ask, is the manual transmission model does NOT come with wireless charging, thus I added my own with the USB-A port.

However while charging on the self installed wireless charge pad and having carPlay + apple maps + pandora on the charge cannot keep up with the load and my battery slowly drains
Sponsored

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haven’t got my Bronco yet to test but it should provide enough of a charge through either C or A to keep up with car play. At that point though it’s wired CarPlay which uses less juice. The wireless charging has been known to not provide enough juice when running CarPlay/AA.

I would run these wired if at all possible since wireless charging isn’t efficient and can heat up the phone a lot.

twyoung1975

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 C10, Nissan Versa, Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't tested it, but my USB-c charges my phone pretty quickly, much faster than the one in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee

CaliBronco92

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Base
i have a 2.3 three pedal and it has a USB Type-A and USB Type-C ports under the center dash, forward of the shift box.

Supposedly the C spec should deliver more power... but has it been tested?

Has anyone tested the output of the ports to see if the Type-C delivers more amps, thus wattage?

The reason I ask, is the manual transmission model does NOT come with wireless charging, thus I added my own with the USB-A port.

However while charging on the self installed wireless charge pad and having carPlay + apple maps + pandora on the charge cannot keep up with the load and my battery slowly drains
That's most likely a limitation of the charging pad itself. Most charge at a very slow rate, no matter if the source is powerful or not

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a tester, I'll try it out later today. I wouldn't expect more than 2.1 amps though.

Reactions: djp

Sponsored
OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
That's most likely a limitation of the charging pad itself. Most charge at a very slow rate, no matter if the source is powerful or not
Most if not all charging pads depend on the source. As they can offer 5/10/15w of power

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hate that you cannot plug in a USB Hub. Mine tells me it wont support it.

psychlops

Badlands
First Name
psychlops
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haven't tested the output, but I have a manual transmission and wireless charging. That said, I avoid using it. It seems to just heat up my phone and give it no charge. When I actually need a charge, I plug it into the USB-C port.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2 door stick lux with the charging pad. The usb-c charges at a significantly higher rate. On par with high wattage power bricks for apple iPads and Macs. As others have said wireless charging is pretty iffy, and if you do get it to charge at a high rate it heats your battery up a lot and thus decreases life.

Sponsored

Shayadan

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BB SAS A51
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

New member here! It only took over 2 years to get my Bronco.

Did a couple of measurements with a USB meter on the lower center console and on ports behind center console at the rear seats, and my Samsung Galaxy S21. Quick charge enabled on the phone with about 50% battery - no quick charge on the USB ports!

Measured USB type A and type C with a few different cables with repeated results.
USB type A charging current 1.39A @ 5V
USB type C charging current 1.79A @ 5V

Hope this helps others!

Ford Bronco USB output wattage (anyone tested?) 20220920_204949
Ford Bronco USB output wattage (anyone tested?) 20220920_205137
Ford Bronco USB output wattage (anyone tested?) 20220920_205748
Ford Bronco USB output wattage (anyone tested?) 20220920_205837

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New member here! It only took over 2 years to get my Bronco.

Did a couple of measurements with a USB meter on the lower center console and on ports behind center console at the rear seats, and my Samsung Galaxy S21. Quick charge enabled on the phone with about 50% battery - no quick charge on the USB ports!

Measured USB type A and type C with a few different cables with repeated results.
USB type A charging current 1.39A @ 5V
USB type C charging current 1.79A @ 5V

Hope this helps others!

Thank you, this confirms C is slightly stronger amperage, and i will use that port for my setup

gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm thinking that using the 12V plug inside the center console with a USB plugin that's rated 3V or whatever, would provide a decent charging choice. Has anyone tried this or measured the output with that method? I don't have the tools to do so but think it should work well. Please let us know if you test it. Thanks

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most usb inputs in vehicles are for connectivity to the head unit, they're not designed for charging. I see ppl come into my store all the time, they plug in a phone and use it for maps all day long, they get a charging icon but the battery is slowly discharging instead. I recommend a cigarette lighter insert, look for any qualcomm enable 3.0 or 4.0 one, samsung licenses their quick charge tech from them and it also helps out iphones with higher wattage. Depending on which samsung you're running there's a 45 watt samsung car charger that enables super fast charging. If they're out of stock online go to your closest tmobile store; or call. They have them as a car/home bundle with 2 extra cables for $60.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/m...es/45w-dual-car-charger-black-ep-l5300xbegus/