Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@RBF 1401 may have some tips on vomit removal...

Do you guys have "Folex" in the USA? It's a product we have here and it's amazing at removing stains and smells from carpet/fabrics. I always keep a bottle at home, and it doesn't let me down.

Alternatively, if you have a portable carpet cleaner, that could help too as it can penetrate the seat and suck out all that "stuff."
Folex is the tits! Sold on Amazon and really does work on stains. Better when still fresh, but better than most other stuff.

Clothing detergent, water, and some microfiber towels and maybe a brush should help.

Love my MGV and washout floors! :)
Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Heelabaloo

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester, Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My little one vomited on the way home. The smell caused me to vomit. My wife saw me vomit which caused her to vomit as well. Now I'm talking about vomit up to here! Good thing we have the vinyl interior and washout floors.
Barforama!

Allenkoz

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sklnbnzaz

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My little one vomited on the way home. The smell caused me to vomit. My wife saw me vomit which caused her to vomit as well. Now I'm talking about vomit up to here! Good thing we have the vinyl interior and washout floors.
If this is true (which it may very well be), I am thankful that my little ones are grown and I can totally see that happening to me. Thank you MGV if it ever does!

Sponsored

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My kids and grandkids have puked in several of my cars. It took me awhile to learn how to really get rid of that lingering smell.

First, a little science:
Stomach fluid (aka vomit) is mostly water, with hydrochloric acid, butyric acid, mucus, some enzymes, and decomposing foods (proteins, oils & fats, and carbohydrates). No one cleaner is going to get all of that out. You have water-based and oil-based stuff to clean up. The butyric acid is the smell that triggers your nose and gag reflex, and lingers months afterwards.

The 12M hydrochloric acid (M=molar, as in molecules, not teeth) is stronger that what is in the car battery (4-5M). This is what discolors the seats and carpets. And the water carries the two stinky acids into your cushions and padding. Just cleaning the top surface is not going to clean that out.

The longer you let it sit, the longer it has to bind to the fabrics in your vehicle.

Be smart when you initially remove it. Only use DRY cotton fabrics, paper towels, or a shop vac. Never use wet-wipes (baby wipes, clorox wipes, etc.); that will help it soak in and make it smell worse latter. Wipe towards the center and use light pressure. You are stopping the spread. Press hard and you force it further under the fabric into the underlying support material.

Next step is to vacuum. As soon as you realistically can. Shop vac, house vac, car wash vac, in-laws vac. They can all be cleaned afterwards, so don't hesitate. Vacuum up anything you can get out. Now is when you should GENTLY press down and work the liquids and solids out. Don't rub and gouge your fabrics. They are wet and delicate right now. This is collecting debris - not cleaning. After, cover it with whatever you have at hand. You are trying to prevent it from drying out before the cleaning steps. I know that is gross, but it was so before this step. You can deal with it.

The cleaning process is: saturate, then remove the liquid. No scrubbing! The steps are the same whether it is still wet or has dried. If there are still some solids there, use a SOFT bristled brush to clean them away from the area. Obviously good ventilation is helpful while you are cleaning.

Go after the acid first.
1/2 gallon warm water, 1/4 teaspoon table salt, 1/4 cup baking soda (not baking powder). Cool or cold water slows the dissolving process. You are neutralizing the acid and helping it suspend in the water. Put a cotton rag into the water, swirl it around, then wring it out so its not dripping, then sponge it into the seat/carpet. Don't go crazy on the 1st round-more is not better. Get the fabric wet enough that it holds the water and is just barely letting it out. Let it sit to do its thing for 1 minute. Beyond 1 minute isn't going to accomplish much more.

I use a vacuum to remove the liquid (sources above). Or you can get all your bath towels out. If vacuuming, put a sheet, pillow case, night gown, or other thin cotton material over the nozzle to protect the fabric. Go slowly over the area to suck up the water. Doesn't need to be complete. Your getting it wet again. If using the towels, blot, don't rub. Sometimes tiny solids rehydrate. Vacuum or brush them out of the way. NO SCRUBBING.

Repeat 2 more times if it was still wet. 4 more if it had dried - you will need the stuff to rehydrate some so the water can suspend it for removal. When done, wring out the rag and dump the water - It's environmentally safe.

Now for the oils and proteins. Get another 1/2 gallon of warm water. Add 1 teaspoon table salt, 1/8 cup baking soda, and 1/8 cup unscented liquid dish washing soap. Gently stir it in - you don't need bubbles. (This is the soap for dishes in the sink, not the dishwasher or washing machine.) What you have is an emulsifier solution (suspends water-based and oil-based substances). Perform the saturation process 4 times. Then do two cycles of clean warm water with nothing added.

At this point, I lift up the carpeting (unscrew or unclip panels) and/or unclip the seat fabric. The vomit does gets down below the fabric or carpet because its largely water. I clean the carpet underlayment and the seat cushions using only the soap solution followed by the clean water rinse. If you want to take the chance and skip this step, your choice. Again, use a sheet over the nozzle so you don't fray the padding or cushion foam.

When I finish vacuuming the underlayment and/or cushions, I use cotton towels to blot it dry until it feels only slightly damp. I give the lifted carpet or fabric a sniff test to make sure nothing was still holding onto the under side. If I am not satisfied, I further clean the underside with the soap solution, then clear water. Then I blot the carpet/seat cover dry with towels. While they are still damp, I reassemble them. It is a lot easier to replace them while wet and they can stretch if needed. They will shrink down some once they dry.

Let the stuff air dry. Dump your soapy water down a drain.

I redid the whole process a second time only once. I picked up my teenager from a high school party and soon discovered it was his first time trying rum. (He doesn't like it any more o_O). I repeated the process and was good. That is why I let it air dry and don't use heaters or hair dryers. You're not looking to bake it in.

By the way, that enzyme stuff they sell. Most are junk. That stuff looses 60% of its chemical efficiency within 30 days of manufacture. By 45 days, it 85% lost. They don't tell you that because you wouldn't buy it. So if it's sitting on a store shelf, then in your house for weeks, or months, what do you really have? The enzyme degrades over time. And enzymes only cleave proteins - they do not remove them. These are Sham-WOW sellers without an ounce of biochemical education. Save your money.

Last edited:

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Rent an ozone generator and leave
It in the sealed car overnight - after your cleaned up as much as you can. Make sure
you let the car air out well before using it. Ozone can be hazardous.

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rent an ozone generator and leave
It in the sealed car overnight - after your cleaned up as much as you can. Make sure
you let the car air out well before using it. Ozone can be hazardous.
WTF!
Why would anyone put ozone inside a sealed vehicle?!? Not only is it toxic to humans at low doses, but destructive to rubber, plastic, metal, fabrics, electronics and paint. It will generates aldehydes and even formic acid residues. Those dumb f#%&s on you tube have no idea what they are talking about. Not a f'ing clue about free radical chemistry. Why do you think airlines outlaw them on ALL passenger planes, public or private?!?

Dude - sorry you are catching my angst. We are looking for informed advice from knowledgeable people. This is not that - at all. You were probably well meaning, but way off the mark this time.

Last edited:

MyDogGoldie

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L BD 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It was cat vomit I've been cleaning up lately. Luckily it doesn't smell any worse than catfood.

But one of my babies was a puker. And the worst thing about it is that the stomach acid can eat through fabric dye and carpet dye. At first we thought it was the harsh chemicals, but realized that even just regular soap and water the vomit was removing the color. 🤪

I agree with the other comments about carpet shampoo, but I am also a huge fan of Resolve products. And good old-fashioned baking soda is still great at absorbing odors.

But my biggest advice about baby vomit...

Don't worry about keeping your possessions pristine. They can be replaced. Someday that little baby will be old enough to clean up their own vomit, but of course that is usually also when they are old enough to move to another city and you have to open an Instagram account just to keep tabs on if they are okay. 🤣🤣🤣
But Cat Piss is the most impossible smell to remove from a vehicle. It will be there 15 years and multiple carpet shampoo's later.

I had to sell a car.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is a common practice for car odors - low dose. Also a common practice in hotels. It’s often used as a last resort.

Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would imagine following the same procedure folks use when blood leaks from the murder victim they are transporting.
I run a tracking/trailing and cadaver dog but I keep my tissue samples double sealed.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For people in their late 40s and early 50s. “It was a regular puke-o-Rama” - Movie - Stand By Me.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

With the exception of being inside a vehicle, this describes our house's past week-long adventure with Norovirus...

Bronco_montana

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry but I would have to sell the truck. I can barely get in my cars after my kids borrow them- they’re never the same.

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is a common practice for car odors - low dose. Also a common practice in hotels. It’s often used as a last resort.
No. It is not. You don't have facts to back that. Claiming its 'common' is just male cow feces.
And how is an "often ... last resort" thing a common practice? By definition that makes it uncommon.

Youtube and TikTok reviews and "how to" videos are sellers' ads in disguise. Just because a video gets posted does not make that subject item "common".

Do your homework before coming to class. Develop a discerning mind. Or expect to get schooled.
Sponsored