Was I just sold a USED part as new?

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered an OEM headlight switch to add fog light capabilities without using an upfitter.
This is what I got: I’ve ordered other OEM parts before, and they all come in sealed packages.
Did I get cheated with an opened - potentially used - part?

Ford Bronco Was I just sold a USED part as new? F84E8309-9A3B-4DFE-A8D2-8739F3B6FE92

Ford Bronco Was I just sold a USED part as new? 7C82F3D9-C0F2-4836-A995-E35724677A94

EDIT: Here are two examples of other parts… a chrome Bronco horse and a Badlands badge IN SEALED PACKAGING…

E28F1DE9-FEBA-4C56-A3DB-D1A775AB2AB2.jpeg

2F860D95-85DE-45C6-9DFF-18EA264BBB5A.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I ordered an OEM headlight switch to add fog light capabilities without using an upfitter.
This is what I got: I’ve ordered other OEM parts before, and they all come in sealed packages.
Did I get cheated with an opened - potentially used - part?

Ford Bronco Was I just sold a USED part as new? 2F860D95-85DE-45C6-9DFF-18EA264BBB5A

Ford Bronco Was I just sold a USED part as new? 2F860D95-85DE-45C6-9DFF-18EA264BBB5A
Last time I ordered a switch, it came in a bag like this, but it was also in a small box

OP
OP
BigMex

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last time I ordered a switch, it came in a bag like this, but it was also in a small box
Was the bag and box sealed?

Several other parts, I’ve ordered have come in sealed boxes and bags, with prominent warnings that any opened packaging, will make the item non-returnable.
The box this came in, had been opened and taped shut again, and the bag was open.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Amazon? There’s a lot of counterfeit parts on there. Have been for a few years. Better to buy from a known vendor on there, instead of a lesser known one, for a few dollars less.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Was the bag and box sealed?

Several other parts, I’ve ordered have come in sealed boxes and bags, with prominent warnings that any opened packaging, will make the item non-returnable.
The box this came in, had been opened and taped shut again, and the bag was open.
The box was sealed. I can’t remember if it was just tape or what though. But the bag wasn’t. It’s normal for it to be in an unsealed bag as long as it was also in a box.
I still have the box and old switch at work. I can look at it Monday.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMex

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Amazon? There’s a lot of counterfeit parts on there. Have been for a few years. Better to buy from a known vendor on there, instead of a lesser known one, for a few dollars less.
No. A Ford Parts dealer (remaining nameless for now). I’ve purchased other parts from them before - OEM - and every time, it’s all been in factory sealed packaging.
Amazon and other places are buyer-beware, which is why I turned to this dealer for an important part like the headlight switch.

AZ Rider

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-350 7.3, F-450 V10 Class C, Jeep Liberty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine was bagged, boxed and bubble wrapped.
Ford Bronco Was I just sold a USED part as new? 493285AD-B238-4AC5-BF34-6EDC4CBCFF15
Ford Bronco Was I just sold a USED part as new? image

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sometimes parts are opened by a tech and fit to a vehicle to try and diag a problem, if the part doesn’t fix the issue they are returned to the parts counter and sold as new to the next customer (usually another dealer tech). I wouldn’t worry about it unless the part is damaged in some way.

OP
OP
BigMex

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sometimes parts are opened by a tech and fit to a vehicle to try and diag a problem, if the part doesn’t fix the issue they are returned to the parts counter and sold as new to the next customer (usually another dealer tech). I wouldn’t worry about it unless the part is damaged in some way.
This is helpful advice. I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus unfairly, and I also don’t want to be cheated. Bronco Chonk (my word for accessories, flair) is too expensive to not get what you pay for when it’s supposed to be new

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is this to replace a faulty switch? Shouldn't it still be under warranty? I had mine replaced at the dealership under warranty. No money out of pocket.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMex

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this to replace a faulty switch? Shouldn't it still be under warranty? I had mine replaced at the dealership under warranty. No money out of pocket.
No - I ordered the switch with the fog light switches (front and rear) so I can add lights and not use upfitter switches yet

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've received open box before. Sometimes parts departments verify by opening before shipped, or the part was opened to show a previous customer that may have inquired on same part but did not buy. Also I've seen the service tech get the part, open it and then return to stock as it was not item at fault. No big deal, never had a part not be ble to return if previously opened.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought a SIMA/Hero switch with front locker and it came in a sealed box but the bag was a non sealed bag.

BroncoWTFAN

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE FE & BL SAS 22
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No - I ordered the switch with the fog light switches (front and rear) so I can add lights and not use upfitter switches yet
It's a mechanical switch, use a multimeter and if it works fine use it. Unless it looks like it has been damaged or mangled looking then just return it.

I bought Ford OEM plastic clips from Tasca not long ago and they sent me quarter of my order. I spent countless emails where they told me it's sold as one part per bag. I ordered 4 bags of 4 clips each, got 1 bag with 4 clips and they would not budge sending me the other 3 bags.

I gave up...
Sponsored