First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mache- GT
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Does anyone have suggestions on how large my new water heater should be? I have a small un-winterized cottage, currently I have a 22 GAL tank that produces more heated water than I seem to need.
Would a smaller tank be large enough?
Would a tankless water heater be even better?
Much thanks for any recommendations
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On the Bronco forum?? OK then.

805Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 EB FSB Bronco; 2021 Outer Banks 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
LOL... I thought this might be about running a water heater with your Bronco.

When we moved onto our current home, it came with a tankless water heater. I didn't realize it wouldn't operate without electricity (old tank systems do). When our electricity provider turned off the grid due to potential wildfires during a high wind event (CA), I had to use the Bronco to power the water heater as the wife wasn't going to take a cold shower, lol. Worked like a charm...

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It kinda fits in - off grid hunting cabin or something.

That said if you go tank - size entirely depends on how long of a shower you want to take. You could drop all the way down to like a 0.5 gal point of use heater and have enough to do dishes and wash hands, but if you want to take a shower you’d have to be very very fast

Tankless will use more gas when making hot water, but since it only actually fires when you use the hot water, it’s less gas overall. And you never run out of hot water - unless you run out of gas or try to run too many showers at once. And you can just set it and forget it type thing as it won’t do anything when you aren’t there, if you forget to turn it off or whatever.

I run my entire house off a 4GPM unit - and they tend to be cheaper than tanked units anymore.

If it were a summer cabin - solar hot water would be an option (and I imagine what a lot of overlanders use)

Last edited:

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone have suggestions on how large my new water heater should be? I have a small un-winterized cottage, currently I have a 22 GAL tank that produces more heated water than I seem to need.

Some standard suggestions, however your use does not seem standard.
https://www.centerpointenergy.com/en-us/HSP/Pages/water-heating-sizing-guide.aspx?sa=mn&au=res

Seems the statement before your question answers it. Also, sounds like you don't like long showers.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
huh

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
your a jeep guy right

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Take the insulation off the boiler, build a small fire under it, add a valve, hose and a cap, it will pressurize naturally and still safe as long as the relief value functions or if it makes you pucker just unscrew it a little

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What's your objective? Do you have to replace your present water heater or are you trying to cut the cost of running it?
Depending on how often and how much hot water you use, adding a timer may reduce it's power use.
Tankless can be an option. Again, it depends on what your needs are. Assuming you'll be using electricity to power it, a small unit under a sink is an easy install. But installing a large unit for high flow rates needs a lot of power.... Install may require 8 gauge wire and 3x 40 amp breakers.

You can even use both..... a tank heater on a timer for a daily shower, and a tankless at a sink for hot water during the day.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

But installing a large unit for high flow rates needs a lot of power.... Install may require 8 gauge wire and 3x 40 amp breakers.
Oh man I wouldn't even consider an electric-only tankless. When I mentioned it needs electricty, I was referring to even a gas-powered one - they have a small fan and control unit that needs powered, it isn't much, but something to consider. But you are right, electric tankless exists, and you are right, whole home ones are way more expensive to install that gas units and I wouldn't advise it. I was just thinking gas powered.

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seriously?
What is this?