LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have Badlands. Been using Slippery mode. Have the G.O.A.T. modes - may as well use them lol. So far I'm impressed with my 2dr BL's composure on slippery winter conditions.
Sponsored

Utah Todd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BroncoBadlands 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If there's snow on the road.
Slippery
4A
It's been great!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great Idea to ask this question.
Great discussion so far!

I dropped the Toyo 35 x 11.5's to 28 or 29 psi on the 2dr.
Not pleased with the Toyo's but the psi drop makes them (barely) passable this winter.

The 33" BFG AT's on the Badlands are at 32 and doing well. Even at the factory 39psi setting they did WAAAAY better than the Toyos.

I USUALLY just choose the 4H button, but reading some of the replies, I may start using the slippery mode now.

Otherwise 2A until it gets NASTY out.

Truth is, my daughter drives either Bronco daily to school .... I have a work van ☹ , I should ask her !!!! LOL

Last edited:

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We're getting our first snow of the year and that got me thinking, what setting is everyone using for snow and ice?

Slippery Mode, 4x4, 4A ect.
Sport mode + racing tires.

Just kidding. Usually I will leave it in 4A when it's snowing, with the OEM Goodyears. Always handles amazing!

LSW

Wildtrak
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Wildtrak, 2023 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If there is a layer of snow or at least some frost/melt on everything 4H all day, I don't think going to slippery GOAT really makes much difference for me in 4H but I usually go into Slippery anyway for peace of mind. The problem is that in mixed dry conditions with occassional icy patches, I don't want to wear out my drivetrain by staying in 4H on a dry surface, so I will go to 4A + Slippery GOAT instead.

4A is not as good as 4H in truly 100% slippery conditions, unfortunately. I don't know why that is, but the back end is much more prone to sliding in 4A, especially when I increase throttle/gas pedal during a turn. I've tried the sand mode in really deep unplowed snow but the high RPM and 4L is just too much honestly, I'd rather stay in 4H and slippery even in that. Maybe I would consider engaging lockers in the real deep stuff but haven't needed to yet. I want to to do the MOAB winter off-rodeo and maybe get really good at driving the Bronco in winter nastiness.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not a terrible question/consideration to bring up since 2/3 of the 6th gen crowd have never had a true 4x4 prior (probably came from a car or something like an AWD subaru) and have zero concept of how/when to use what

MsPickles

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Turned TC off for the snowy/icy today, 2H. Not going fast, but was having a bit of fun wiggling my ass today. ;) F150 next to me at a light, thought he was going to get it. Both of use spun at green. I let off, locked rear, took right off, all left behind. It was straight and only 30mph. Unlocked.

shake-dance.gif

Sponsored

duel007

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4-door Bronco Badlands Lux Non-Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4A all the way - 4H if the snow is fresh and the roads are covered.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We're getting our first snow of the year and that got me thinking, what setting is everyone using for snow and ice?

Slippery Mode, 4x4, 4A ect.
4A works SUPER on Badlands and Wildtraks here in Alaska .. But, make sure in the spring you get your transfer case fluid, front differential and rear differential gear oils changed.. The factory gear oils Ford uses are too light for winter heavy duty service.. Here is the metal from my transfer case with just 6700 miles.. Next pictures are the front differential that has only one quart of lube oil. Be safe whatever setting you use..

IMG_9431.jpeg

IMG_9432.jpeg

IMG_9431.jpeg

IMG_9419.jpeg

IMG_9418.jpeg

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If there is a layer of snow or at least some frost/melt on everything 4H all day, I don't think going to slippery GOAT really makes much difference for me in 4H but I usually go into Slippery anyway for peace of mind. The problem is that in mixed dry conditions with occassional icy patches, I don't want to wear out my drivetrain by staying in 4H on a dry surface, so I will go to 4A + Slippery GOAT instead.

4A is not as good as 4H in truly 100% slippery conditions, unfortunately. I don't know why that is, but the back end is much more prone to sliding in 4A, especially when I increase throttle/gas pedal during a turn. I've tried the sand mode in really deep unplowed snow but the high RPM and 4L is just too much honestly, I'd rather stay in 4H and slippery even in that. Maybe I would consider engaging lockers in the real deep stuff but haven't needed to yet. I want to to do the MOAB winter off-rodeo and maybe get really good at driving the Bronco in winter nastiness.
Sounds like you already know what to do, and Moab doesn't get much snow.
I've been curious about Sand mode in deep snow
I've tried it in sand and didn't care for the high shift points. I believe it runs 4H in Sand though.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4A works SUPER on Badlands and Wildtraks here in Alaska .. But, make sure in the spring you get your transfer case fluid, front differential and rear differential gear oils changed.. The factory gear oils Ford uses are too light for winter heavy duty service.. Here is the metal from my transfer case with just 6700 miles.. Next pictures are the front differential that has only one quart of lube oil. Be safe whatever setting you use..

Ford Bronco What Are Your Winter Road Settings? IMG_9418

What Axle gear oil weight are you running?

I’m changing mine next weekend and installing my Ford Performance Diff Cover with AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-90. Not going to the Dana suggestion of like 75w-160, but higher than the weird 75w-85

Doing this at the suggestion and smart advice of @CarbonSteel from his posts and videos in December.

Going to change my T-case fluid as well with the regular Motorcraft MERCON LV because not sure it matters much, but to your point, want to ensure all are properly full. My Bronco is just under 10K miles.
Sponsored