Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-geo-pro

Yeah, I'd say at the very least he/she is up against all tow ratings (if traveling empty with no equipment) after looking over the link to those campers. I wouldn't do it, that's for sure.

I just got done pulling my 2004 Viking popup for the first time and it was fine, but definitely not the experience I had with my F150 (which I expected). Long steeper grade downhills weren't ideal if I was traveling too fast. If I was 50-60 mph, it was fine. A few times I was pushing 65-70 without noticing and the trailer felt like it wanted to wiggle a bit downhill. It could be my inexperience, but once I got back down to 55 mph, I felt much more in control. I wasn't in a hurry, just got lost in my own thoughts a couple times with a lead foot. LOL
Whats the weight of your popup camper?

I tow our offroad camper with the wife’s 4dr BL 2.7 (have the Redarc brake controller) regularly through the mountain passes here in CO, through UT & AZ close to 5k miles, many times at speeds of 75-80mph (only because the trailer can and its very stable behind the Bronco) and have absolutely zero complaints. When descending the 7% grade mountain passes, I put it into M mode, control the gear I’m in & allow the engine to assist in maintaining proper speeds.

Like you…I too have an F150 and of course it doesnt skip a beat w/ the 3.5.

My offroad camper weighs 3,290lbs fully loaded (40gal of water, few gal of diesel, all my gear, tools, food, drinks, clothing, etc) and rides on independent, adjustable air bag suspension & 33” MT tires.

Just to make it clear since you mentioned being inexperienced… I’ve been towing trailers for 25+ yrs, everything from popup campers, 35’ travel trailers, 21’+ boats (including some 7k+ lb wakeboard boats), small utility trailers & hauling my wrangler on a vehicle trailer across country some 2k miles.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-geo-pro

Yeah, I'd say at the very least he/she is up against all tow ratings (if traveling empty with no equipment) after looking over the link to those campers. I wouldn't do it, that's for sure.

I just got done pulling my 2004 Viking popup for the first time and it was fine, but definitely not the experience I had with my F150 (which I expected). Long steeper grade downhills weren't ideal if I was traveling too fast. If I was 50-60 mph, it was fine. A few times I was pushing 65-70 without noticing and the trailer felt like it wanted to wiggle a bit downhill. It could be my inexperience, but once I got back down to 55 mph, I felt much more in control. I wasn't in a hurry, just got lost in my own thoughts a couple times with a lead foot. LOL
Actually, speed is everything when towing. Here is a great write up on why vehicles get much higher tow ratings internationally then in the US. I first heard of this with my JL Wrangler, which had a 3500 lb rating in the states and a 5K rating in Europe. This article goes into a lot of detail, but the bottom line seems to be that in other countries, you are limited to about 60 MPH when towing, and they stick to it, and over 60 things get hairy very quickly.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200922183139/https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

And I really wonder how tow ratings are calculated, I mean I get GVWR and all that, but how do the engineers calculate that? I ask, because having owned a JLUR for the last 3.5 years, and moving to a Badsquatch, I can honestly say that there is no way they have the same tow rating - the Bronco should be able to tow 50% more easily. So either the Bronco is underrated or the Jeep was overacted.

jmadsen

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350, 2017 Explorer, 1945 Ford GPW, 53 C6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is my 1970 14' Roadrunner. Only 3 more payments and she's mine! :).
Im not sure what it weights but im not ever planning on towing it with my bronco.

Fixed the inside up on it. Still need to repaint it but not high on the priority list right now.

PXL_20230506_202445640.jpg

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whats the weight of your popup camper?

I tow our offroad camper with the wife’s 4dr BL 2.7 (have the Redarc brake controller) regularly through the mountain passes here in CO, through UT & AZ close to 5k miles, many times at speeds of 75-80mph (only because the trailer can and its very stable behind the Bronco) and have absolutely zero complaints. When descending the 7% grade mountain passes, I put it into M mode, control the gear I’m in & allow the engine to assist in maintaining proper speeds.

Like you…I too have an F150 and of course it doesnt skip a beat w/ the 3.5.

My offroad camper weighs 3,290lbs fully loaded (40gal of water, few gal of diesel, all my gear, tools, food, drinks, clothing, etc) and rides on independent, adjustable air bag suspension & 33” MT tires.

Just to make it clear since you mentioned being inexperienced… I’ve been towing trailers for 25+ yrs, everything from popup campers, 35’ travel trailers, 21’+ boats (including some 7k+ lb wakeboard boats), small utility trailers & hauling my wrangler on a vehicle trailer across country some 2k miles.
Fully loaded for a trip, I'd say around 3,000. I haven't installed the Redarc Brake Controller yet, but I think I'm going to do that with my Ford points from the purchase. Admittedly, I am very conscious/cautious of anything that remotely feels like it isn't on flat ground when towing. So if I feel a little wiggle, I'm on high alert. I've seen so many situation recorded on youtube that it freaks me out. LOL. I will say, when I had that wiggle feeling, simply letting off the gas and dropping 5 mph made all the difference in the world.

Better safe than sorry I guess. I'm not one that pushes the envelope when it comes to safety or feeling safe. I'm and error on the side of caution type person. Add in my inexperience with towing and I'm on high alert.

edit: I'll add, I was in NW Illinois and SW Wisconsin (which for our area can have some pretty steep grade "hills"). These areas don't have long extreme downhill runs, but they aren't flat either. My wiggle feelings came on these longer, more extreme downhills.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Actually, speed is everything when towing. Here is a great write up on why vehicles get much higher tow ratings internationally then in the US. I first heard of this with my JL Wrangler, which had a 3500 lb rating in the states and a 5K rating in Europe. This article goes into a lot of detail, but the bottom line seems to be that in other countries, you are limited to about 60 MPH when towing, and they stick to it, and over 60 things get hairy very quickly.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200922183139/https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

And I really wonder how tow ratings are calculated, I mean I get GVWR and all that, but how do the engineers calculate that? I ask, because having owned a JLUR for the last 3.5 years, and moving to a Badsquatch, I can honestly say that there is no way they have the same tow rating - the Bronco should be able to tow 50% more easily. So either the Bronco is underrated or the Jeep was overacted.
SAE J2807

Bunch of tests but the ones that probably got the bronco were
  • 0 to 30 time in 12 seconds
  • Stop completely from 20 mph in 80 feet or less (likely this one)
  • Front Axle Load Restoration (also probably this given the offroad nature)
  • Have to complete Davis Dam Grade (3500 elevation gain ft over 12 miles) in 100f ambienbt without dropping below 40mph

Sponsored

OMTBiker

Outer Banks
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Tremor AMB | 2022 OBX SAS HPR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was looking at Taxa when COVID hit. They sell them at a place here in Denton and they're pretty nice. Nearly all are well below max tow. Two downsides: They're not cheap, and I think they're order only? The TigerMoth was the one I was looking at.

https://taxaoutdoors.com/
The Mantis is over the limit for the Bronco; the Cricket, Tiger Moth, and Woolly Bear would be fine.

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I picked up an older T@B teardrop. Very light, about 1300 dry. I don't notice it much behind except when I stop for gas.

Golfshrink

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 door BadSquach; 07 FJ Cruiser; 68 IH Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those who have one.. What you hauling? I'm looking at getting a camper but idk what's to haul. The tow cap is 3500. I saw a jl tuck hauling a winnebago so I know it's possible in the bronco. However I can't seem to find anything within the rating.
Ford Bronco What Camper are you towing? IMG_4961

This is our Hiker 5x8MR. Fully loaded, the weight is about 1700. Pulls great!

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just before a test tow today. Sagged about 1.5” in the rear and lifted the front about .5” I think. No-bo 16-1 and towed quite nice on my short trip. Need to figure out an equalizer setup that will work.
Ford Bronco What Camper are you towing? IMG_1085

Sponsored

ohp138

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For those who have one.. What you hauling? I'm looking at getting a camper but idk what's to haul. The tow cap is 3500. I saw a jl tuck hauling a winnebago so I know it's possible in the bronco. However I can't seem to find anything within the rating.
Had my eye on this one for a while.

Ford Bronco What Camper are you towing? 1692824383301

BAronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
towing a Coleman Lantern 17b. The weight is 2950. No issues.

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco What Camper are you towing? 1692824383301

This is our Hiker 5x8MR. Fully loaded, the weight is about 1700. Pulls great!
Good to see this with a 2-door. I purchased a Bushwacker 10HD to tow with my 2-door (2.3L) that will probably pull just like your 5x8MR.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any trailers with a potty for the wife that can handle decent off roading on mildish trails?

I did find a couple on You tube but they are priced like 90k !!!!

Mammal

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Any trailers with a potty for the wife that can handle decent off roading on mildish trails?

I did find a couple on You tube but they are priced like 90k !!!!
We have a 2018 T@B 320s Outback (May be "Boondock" now... We've had it since 2018). It has decent clearance, but it won't articulate much. It's 1800lbs dry. 2600lbs is more than we've ever had in it, but possible if all the water tanks (black, grey included) are full. We use it boondocking, and/or as a mobile hotel room. It has a boiler and hard sides which is why we chose it. We wanted a 4 season camper. (Have stayed in it during ski season to avoid coming back down the mountain in traffic.)

We're excited to see if the Bronco can get this thing in a few more places it hasn't been before. But will probably be a year... or more :cool:.
Sponsored