Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

WOW, great question!

To me, it’s different things for different people. Me, I’ve never been into rocks / Moab, but I can appreciate it, and the technical aspects of it.

I don’t ever turn down a trip to Baja, it’s what I love. From the scenery, the different / difficult terrains, the people, every trip is an adventure, and it’s different every time!

You have to know going in to any off-road trip, there’s going to be pin stripping, nicks / dents, and possibly bigger issues. Rollovers, blown motors, broken parts. It happens. I wouldn’t want it any other way, and I’ve been off-roading for roughly 50 years, give or take. Try it, it’s addictive!

Resized_20230811_172548.jpeg
Resized_20230414_110105.jpeg
Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love and appreciate that. I added a P.S. to my original post to clarify I'm not referring to overlanding / camping. I live in Northern Ontario (Canada). Having access to and exploring nature is one of the reasons I relocated here. Thanks for sharing that wonderful photo.
We aren’t Overlanding in that photo. We were out exploring and stopped there for lunch. We travel full time in a 26‘ motorhome and flat tow the Bronco.

We are planning to cross into Canada July next year and then spend August in Alaska.

DJI_0299.jpeg

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At first blush off-roading appears to be a guaranteed way to damage a vehicle and spends lots of money on repairs.
I find the technical aspect of picking the right lines to avoid damage hugely gratifying. I'm pretty proud that I have yet to dent the body.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in Lake Tahoe along the forest and during the summer the crowds are crazy, so I pick trails around my area for the weekend and get off road with both vehicles to enjoy solitude with my two dogs. I’m not a rock crawler, but I will crawl over objects to get to those places I want to see and stay at. Pin stripes, bear claws and bear punctures in the soft top, are part of the process for me. Fall, Winter, and Spring are my favorite seasons where I live, less crowds and enjoy the big lake during those times.

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? IMG_9406
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? IMG_9670
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? IMG_5166

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We aren’t Overlanding in that photo. We were out exploring and stopped there for lunch. We travel full time in a 26‘ motorhome and flat tow the Bronco.

We are planning to cross into Canada July next year and then spend August in Alaska.

Goals! I would like to get up to Deadhorse in the next few years. Is your MH a V10, and is it enough? Seems most E-Series based ones are. I was thinking diesel pusher.

Sponsored

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I live in Lake Tahoe along the forest and during the summer the crowds are crazy, so I pick trails around my area for the weekend and get off road with both vehicles to enjoy solitude with my two dogs. I’m not a rock crawler, but I will crawl over objects to get to those places I want to see and stay at. Pin stripes, bear claws and bear punctures in the soft top, are part of the process for me. Fall, Winter, and Spring are my favorite seasons where I live, less crowds and enjoy the big lake during those times.

The 2nd pic says it all!

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same reason for myself that activities like judo are fun. It's meeting the people and being part of a great community. I've been hurt several times practicing judo, but keep coming back as much as I can. Also, the knowledge with how to tackle certain obstacles. So that way if I encounter them on the trail. I feel more confident about what I can get past. And as always a great sense of accomplishment!

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sometimes the best campsites aren't on the main roads,So we base camp with the Bronco and hit the trails with the SxS.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Goals! I would like to get up to Deadhorse in the next few years. Is your MH a V10, and is it enough? Seems most E-Series based ones are. I was thinking diesel pusher.
Yes, it’s a V10. It’s enough for us, we try not to push it hard and we take our time climbing the hills.

That’s a haul to Deadhorse, research it a lot if you’re planning to take a Motorhome or trailer. Most people recommend leaving those behind due to road conditions on rv’s.

OP
OP
supaDean

supaDean

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I think you will run into many RV travellers during your travels to Alaska. I was in Yukon several years ago and met many that were doing just that. Through Yukon you'll hit the Alaska Highway, travel through Dawson City et al.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too never grasped the concept of traversing vehicles over obstacles that can destroy the vehicle. So I attended one of the Bronco off rodeos to experience first hand and to see if I could be convinced. Afterwards, I now know I have no desire to traverse vehicles over obstacles. That being said, driving the vehicle on unpaved roads that are not perilous to get to areas of scenic beauty is my desire. I could also enjoy high speed running through a desert . Creeping over boulders, or through tight tree lined paths doesn't do it for me. More power to those that do. My Bronco runs the east coast beach dunes in search of the next surf fishing spot.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm weird. I don't seek out off road and have no desire to see what the Bronco can do. What I did want is a roomy capable off road vehicle for my filming. The Bronco Badlands fit the bill. Hundreds of miles (solo) trail driving the Oregon Desert looking for history to film. I even dodge mud whenever possible because it's a pain to pressure wash later. But sometimes I just gotta do it!

Here's some photos of last Summers adventures!
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (4)

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (5)

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (6)

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (7)

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (8)

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (9)

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (10)

Last edited:

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s kind of like having to explain to someone why having sex is fun…. Gotta get out and try it for yourself and once you get dirty you’ll see what the hype is about. If your priorities are a pristine vehicle and zero money spent… go find a different hobby.
That said the majority of us didn’t start off-roading with the invention of the modern 6th gen Bronco.. it’s really more of a lifestyle that started very early. Passing it onto my 3 kids as we speak..

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? Untitled design (10)
With a kid now in college, I can attest that sex is a much more expensive hobby than off roading!

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I too never grasped the concept of traversing vehicles over obstacles that can destroy the vehicle. So I attended one of the Bronco off rodeos to experience first hand and to see if I could be convinced. Afterwards, I now know I have no desire to traverse vehicles over obstacles. That being said, driving the vehicle on unpaved roads that are not perilous to get to areas of scenic beauty is my desire. I could also enjoy high speed running through a desert . Creeping over boulders, or through tight tree lined paths doesn't do it for me. More power to those that do. My Bronco runs the east coast beach dunes in search of the next surf fishing spot.
The beauty of Colorado at the Summit of Engineer Pass

IMG_7368.jpeg

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thrill and challenge of off roading makes me feel alive. I‘ll avoid really causing major damage but accept the challenge of it being a possibility but prefer to get away with all dents or scratches under vehicle only. Fully accept the possibility of rolling or tumbling down to one’s death as well but the goal will always be to make it out unscathed.

Many areas I have found myself thinking if I would make it out with the only option to keep going forward for many hours more as it would be much more dangerous to even attempt to turn back. Anxiety and adrenaline can be maxed out for hours and that feeling of accomplishment after safely making it out can be satisfying to some us.

Definitely, not for everyone but its a good sport to pick up with scenic and remote areas being a bonus.
Sponsored