Sponsored

What's the issue with Webasto exactly? (ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Usually large plastic objects are not injection molded like a cup or a piece of trim. They’re using sheets and a honey comb layer. It’s partially an issue of cooling in the mold, but also sun resistance among other things.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Didn't last year somebody took a picture of the factory and it was a grass field? Did it get built? Do they have the machines? Are they running?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only thing that hasn't leaked about the new Bronco's hardtops is that Ford can't get it to stop leaking. Every new design equals new tooling and that ain't cheap. I would guess that they've had multiple failed designs at this point.

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t know why... but I do know they have a lot of positions available. Maybe they just don’t pay enough to get quality employees 🤷‍♂️
The "No politics" rule kills any meaningful discussion of this issue.

Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My thinking is its leaking issues and QC, hence why they threw headliners in for most people. Probably why my build is delayed is because I refused to add the free headliner to my BL.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only thing that hasn't leaked about the new Bronco's hardtops is that Ford can't get it to stop leaking. Every new design equals new tooling and that ain't cheap. I would guess that they've had multiple failed designs at this point.
And that is my very biggest worry about ordering a Bronco.

OP
OP
Baddie64

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We’ll get our answer if Ford delays delivery of mic top Broncos that have build dates.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I worked for Ford the quality spec on water testing was an issue. The water test was a tunnel of high pressure sprinklers pointing in all directions. The water volume worked out to 44 inches of rain per hour. Most vehicles in a rain storm of 44 inches per hour will be underwater or blown away from the hurricane winds.

Broncogoat

Badlands
First Name
lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Trac, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know their exact issue but do know there is a PVC shortage. At work, we have had suppliers of PVC fabricated material revise pricing of their products upwards of 20%. Also, labor is still is short supply.
can't be the issue they probably haven't used a silo of pellets yet! PVC isn't that scarce and the supply of oil is not a factor there is plenty. If Ford needs a source for PVC I have many sources as I sell the knives to the resin producers used in pelletizing usage dropped slightly in 2020, but is back to normal levels or higher now.

Lashedup

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right now both PP and PE plastic resins are facing two major issues - not enough product and very high prices. Here is the pricing trends and you can see it is more than doubled...

Ford Bronco What's the issue with Webasto exactly? (ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS) Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 3.20.57 PM
]

The supply issues largely stem from the cold snap in Texas shutting plants down at a time when they were already barely meeting demand. So getting the resins to make the plastics is very, very tough at the moment.

Employment-wise, there are numerous things Webasto can do to improve that situation, especially if Ford is applying pressure.

And as someone mentioned, this also assumes that there aren't any issues with the quality of the tops that need correction.

Just .02 cents worth...

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650