Sponsored

Who's adding Keyless Keypad Entry and why?

R u adding keyless entry keypad

• Total voters

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Exactly - anywhere you have cell service or wifi . . .
Funny story, seeing you are in VT. I was helping replace windows on a ski cabin at Killington this summer and the keys got locked in my father in laws F-150. We had to walk about 2 miles to get service to call in because we couldn’t use the app to unlock the car. Good times lol

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm getting one. Just for the fact I loved the one I had in my Explore. It was a 2002. I could lock my keys it in and not have to worry what I did with them. I didn't lock them in everywhere I went just in the work parking lot and at home. Anywhere else I went keys went with me. Nothing like somebody breaking a window driving off with my bronco while in Wally World buying TP! ?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is by far the best and smartest feature that any car company has ever made. Yes I sad it.
But it’s only for a type of person, and I guess I happen to be that type. I’ve had it on bunch of vehicles over the years.
So I going to jump in the river with a Jetski I can lock my keys and phone in the car and not worry about it. Or if I’m going snowboarding and don’t want to have my keys and phone in my pockets to break or stab me I can lock them in the car. Or you drop it at shop you tell them toss the keys in it and hit the 2 buttons to lock and I’ll pick the car up anytime I want.
This is a priceless option
What happens if the keypad battery dies and you locked the keys in the car?
It came on my Platinum F-150 as standard equipment. Thought is was stupid. Now after having it three years, its very handy. Out working in yard, keys up stairs in bedroom, want something out of truck, its easy. Its come in handy many times.
I guess it will be wireless. They changed in 2020 apparently.
I'm getting one. Just for the fact I loved the one I had in my Explore. It was a 2002. I could lock my keys it in and not have to worry what I did with them. I didn't lock them in everywhere I went just in the work parking lot and at home. Anywhere else I went keys went with me. Nothing like somebody breaking a window driving off with my bronco while in Wally World buying TP! ?
The only problem with A. References to what was used on F-150, or a 2002 Exploder is that the keypad Ford is currently using is, unfortunately, not valid (see below) and B. I will not trust this keypad (see below) and C. good luck if they start re-making the replacement, replacement, replacement part while your Bronco is waiting for build! (see below).

• The part number was replaced during the build of our 2019 Ranger due to the keypad having large quantities of non-operable units
    • The replacement part also resulted in over 2 months of our Ranger sitting and waiting to be built because content wasn't available.
  • The replacement part number currently has a TSB on it because it's a piece of crap.
    • We are currently on our third keypad and listed as first in line when the TSB-replacement-replacement part is available.
    • We have gone through FOUR batteries in the various keypads in 2 years.
      • Note: Meaning we have replaced the battery FOUR times, and we've also had THREE batteries which came with their respective keypads, for a total of SEVEN batteries in less than 24 months. That's super reliable! But only in that you can rely on the battery being dead.
  • This keypad WILLleave you stranded and locked out of your car
    • We've been stranded in back-country situations twice, now we use the keypad simply out of the fun of tracking how long the battery will last and always keep a key with us. If we hadn't been playing a "game" with the keypad, we would have been stranded a further two times.

The TSB went live in June of 2019, we supposedly received the "new" keypad part (our second replacement, third unit overall), but there was an issue and the old part number had been made again.

SSM 48026 - 2019 Ranger - SecuriCode Keyless-Entry Keypad - Inoperative Keyless Entry Key Pad

Some 2019 Rangers built with SecuriCode keyless-entry keypad, may experience an inoperative keypad. Press any button. If the keypad illuminates, the battery is operating normally. If not, replace the keypad. Refer to the PTS Workshop Tab drop down menu for installation instructions. Mouse over the Workshop tab > Accessory Installation > Electrical > Wireless RF Key Pad Instructions. As noted in Step 2, for removal use fishing string to remove the keypad to prevent paint damage. Do not attempt to replace the battery. This will break the seal and reduce the life of the keypad.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ative-keyless-entry-key-pad.3496/#post-116069

I have the utmost in confidence that there will be pages of comments after this post of people saying they loved their hard-wired keypad in every Ford vehicle they have had since the 80's and how they are excited to have the new and improved wireless keypad on their Bronco. I'm going to quote this thread when heckling you in your nearly-certain future post complaining about "Ford reliability" as you were stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a locked car and you had to bust a window to get home.

Edit: Here are some other fun readings to tide you over on the super-exciting and amazing keypad! Enjoy!

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The only problem with A. References to what was used on F-150, or a 2002 Exploder is that the keypad Ford is currently using is, unfortunately, not valid (see below) and B. I will not trust this keypad (see below) and C. good luck if they start re-making the replacement, replacement, replacement part while your Bronco is waiting for build! (see below).

• The part number was replaced during the build of our 2019 Ranger due to the keypad having large quantities of non-operable units
    • The replacement part also resulted in over 2 months of our Ranger sitting and waiting to be built because content wasn't available.
  • The replacement part number currently has a TSB on it because it's a piece of crap.
    • We are currently on our third keypad and listed as first in line when the TSB-replacement-replacement part is available.
      • Note: Meaning we have replaced the battery FOUR times, and we've also had THREE batteries which came with their respective keypads, for a total of SEVEN batteries in less than 24 months. That's super reliable! But only in that you can rely on the battery being dead.
  • This keypad WILL leave you stranded and locked out of your car
    • We've been stranded in back-country situations twice, now we use the keypad simply out of the fun of tracking how long the battery will last and always keep a key with us. If we hadn't been playing a "game" with the keypad, we would have been stranded a further two times.

The TSB went live in June of 2019, we supposedly received the "new" keypad part (our second replacement, third unit overall), but there was an issue and the old part number had been made again.

SSM 48026 - 2019 Ranger - SecuriCode Keyless-Entry Keypad - Inoperative Keyless Entry Key Pad

Some 2019 Rangers built with SecuriCode keyless-entry keypad, may experience an inoperative keypad. Press any button. If the keypad illuminates, the battery is operating normally. If not, replace the keypad. Refer to the PTS Workshop Tab drop down menu for installation instructions. Mouse over the Workshop tab > Accessory Installation > Electrical > Wireless RF Key Pad Instructions. As noted in Step 2, for removal use fishing string to remove the keypad to prevent paint damage. Do not attempt to replace the battery. This will break the seal and reduce the life of the keypad.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ative-keyless-entry-key-pad.3496/#post-116069

I have the utmost in confidence that there will be pages of comments after this post of people saying they loved their hard-wired keypad in every Ford vehicle they have had since the 80's and how they are excited to have the new and improved wireless keypad on their Bronco. I'm going to quote this thread when heckling you in your nearly-certain future post complaining about "Ford reliability" as you were stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a locked car and you had to bust a window to get home.
Welp you've just convinced me to scrap it! Saves me what $110 doll hairs or something like that! Good to know all this! Thank you!

Sponsored

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wouldn't want to do without it. Used it countless times on our F-150 and Mustang, both of which are parked out on the street -- where I've often walked out to while the fob was back in the house somewhere. Wish it was available on my Corvette, too.

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wouldn't want to do without it. Used it countless times on our F-150 and Mustang, both of which are parked out on the street -- where I've often walked out to while the fob was back in the somewhere. Wish it was available on my Corvette, too.
Here's what i'm talking about! Can't wait to follow your build thread once you get the Bronco and find out how long it took for your keypad to leave you stranded.

Ford Bronco Who's adding Keyless Keypad Entry and why? tenor[1]

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

• This keypad WILLleave you stranded and locked out of your car

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Edit: Here are some other fun readings to tide you over on the super-exciting and amazing keypad! Enjoy!

This is why we use the built-in versions -- no batteries to die, and over at least 4 Fords in the last 15 years, zero reliability problems. This includes "new" versions (2018, 2019). If the Bronco keypad is not the built-in one, we likely won't add it.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's what i'm talking about! Can't wait to follow your build thread once you get the Bronco and find out how long it took for your keypad to leave you stranded.

Ford Bronco Who's adding Keyless Keypad Entry and why? tenor[1]
Ricky, Ricky -- love your '80's heart-throb music beats, but dude, you have to let go of that high-energy/tension mojo! :ROFLMAO:

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to say - I have had this feature on every vehicle I have owned since my 2010 Raptor and never had any battery issues. I was under the (false?) impression that it was a hard-wired feature . . . either way, I have been really pleased with it, use it almost daily and it has worked 100% of the time.
It’s been a hard-wire feature with no battery of its own on every Ford I’ve had equipped with it. But apparently there are some where it’s an add-on with adhesive and a battery. If that’s how it works on the Bronco, I might just pass, even though I would like it as I do find the need to leave keys and such behind At times.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ricky, Ricky -- love your '80's heart-throb music beats, but dude, you have to let go of that high-energy/tension mojo! :ROFLMAO:
You're doubting my emotional range!

I have Pimp & Chill mode as well. This mode is only enabled while not stranded on a remote forest service road at 10 pm in Glacier National Park after doing a grueling 16 mile hike because the keypad battery is dead.

1477857137.hojozilla_pangif[1].gif

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The B&P version is hardwired to the vehicle. Thus, no battery dependency. That's an advantage of adding it via B&P; however, as I've said before, I like mine hidden. So, I get the battery versions after the purchase and stick it on out-of-plain-sight.

The aftermarket option is wireless and runs on battery.
Mine have lasted for at least 5 years before battery replacement.
The keypad is illuminated upon first touch and blinks when the battery is low. I used it with a low battery for at least an addition 6 months before actually getting around to replacing the battery..
Its one of those quarter size batteries. Pry the top off and replace the battery. No big deal.

I have a Mustang and Explorer. Both using battery type units ($80) and have never taken the keys out of the vehicles. Just too convenient for MTB riding, swimming, shorts and no pockets kinda days at the beach and letting others go wait in the truck without having to be there (for various reasons).

BTW, If you want to steal these vehicles by breaking the glass and using the keys in the cup holder. Do it. I'm old and have great insurance.

Russtang

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Even though it is only $100 to add I will be passing on it. I have it currently on my Ford Explorer and I haven't even used it one time. I don't even know what the code is.
When I bought my expedition used, the seller didn't know the code either. Turns out there's a master code printed on the outside of the ECU. Find the ECU (inside passenger kick-panel for my exped), and you can set your own code.

spyderman01

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm planning on ordering it just for the possible future convenience, if nothing else so someone can go retrieve junk from the Bronco either while out or at home without me having to fish out my keys and give it to them. For instance, in the woods and halfway down the trail and someone says I forgot my water bottle/hat/thingamabob will you go get it for me. Um.. no, go get it yourself and I'm not trusting you to not lose the keys on your way there and back!