Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My bad. I assumed you had an automatic. I’m just tired of waiting so long but I’m going to test drive a 2.3 auto today so I guess I’ll see first hand. Thanks
Depends on what you're comparing the Bronco too. I just sold my '19 Mustang GT 6 speed that wasn't stock. 480+ HP. (460 stock). Yeah, the 2.3 doesn't compare. Of course neither does the 2.7.

If it helps - we waited to order until we test drove a Bronco (Dec '21). I had planned on ordering the 2.7. Drove a 3.73 geared 2.3 2 dr where the dealer added 35s. In Sport mode it did NOT struggle pulling those tires. Impressed me enough I didn't order the 2.7. (I've driven both). I DID order the 4.27 gears (no brainer for the price and a rear locker). Our 2dr 2.3 BB pulls 35s with zero issues. It compared very favorably with my '12 F150 FX4 with the 5.0 Coyote engine.

It's all about what you plan on doing with it. If I had planned on towing with the Bronco at all, it would have gotten the 2.7 - but I have a truck for towing. I've towed things with older full size Broncos and K5 blazers. Not a big fan of towing with short wheel base. Of course my definition of 'towing' includes my tractor, an equipment trailer, cars etc. YMMV.

I'd be interested in a REAL tune for the 2.3 (not the OBD2 dongle add ons) as in a tune that was developed on a dyno. Of course I could care less what the HP # is - I would love a tune that focuses on torque under the power curve - it would likely increase gas mileage and make more power where it's actually useful in its use as a daily driver.

Wolfpack

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 5Spd, 2002 Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the 7MT and added a pedal commander, and that has surprisingly made it much more responsive and lively to drive. I’d compare it to having the equivalent of a quarter-turn throttle on a crotch rocket. Nice performance boost for a few bucks.

tasker

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Sport 351, hydroboost 33's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

LINK? i too have the 2.3 7 spd basequatch...with those 4.70 gears it's fun to drive!

Sponsored

Perdido214

Badlands
First Name
Memo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f150 5.0 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on what you're comparing the Bronco too. I just sold my '19 Mustang GT 6 speed that wasn't stock. 480+ HP. (460 stock). Yeah, the 2.3 doesn't compare. Of course neither does the 2.7.

If it helps - we waited to order until we test drove a Bronco (Dec '21). I had planned on ordering the 2.7. Drove a 3.73 geared 2.3 2 dr where the dealer added 35s. In Sport mode it did NOT struggle pulling those tires. Impressed me enough I didn't order the 2.7. (I've driven both). I DID order the 4.27 gears (no brainer for the price and a rear locker). Our 2dr 2.3 BB pulls 35s with zero issues. It compared very favorably with my '12 F150 FX4 with the 5.0 Coyote engine.

It's all about what you plan on doing with it. If I had planned on towing with the Bronco at all, it would have gotten the 2.7 - but I have a truck for towing. I've towed things with older full size Broncos and K5 blazers. Not a big fan of towing with short wheel base. Of course my definition of 'towing' includes my tractor, an equipment trailer, cars etc. YMMV.

I'd be interested in a REAL tune for the 2.3 (not the OBD2 dongle add ons) as in a tune that was developed on a dyno. Of course I could care less what the HP # is - I would love a tune that focuses on torque under the power curve - it would likely increase gas mileage and make more power where it's actually useful in its use as a daily driver.
Thanks! That’s a good view. I currently have a 2011 fx4 leveled with 35’s getting 13 mpg haha I towed a rzr that recently got totaled (got 7k more than I paid for 3 years ago) I’ll probably sell the truck soon and just use my trailer for carrying stuff around. So no crazy towing. I really want to build a tear drop but I’d probably make it at light as possible maybe 1000 lbs. I almost went for the Everglades edition but the only thing holding me back was the 360 camera. Still might switch but haven’t seen to many reviews.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do these tunes require a service appointment at the dealer? I would assume they do..

Wolfpack

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 5Spd, 2002 Honda S2000
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Funny I was just looking at this thread about 2 hours ago for an update.

2ata

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curr.: 2021 Ford Bronco; '77 924, '01 986, '02 911
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We won’t get one. Thought I’d try anyway.

Funny I was just looking at this thread about 2 hours ago for an update.

Sponsored

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Didn't they say early second quarter? Maybe they meant Q223 (not 22). :)

The Ranger Performance Pack says 45HP and 60TQ increase. Does Bronco 2.3 get something similar? If so, do we get this from the 87 Octane Rating of 275HP/315TQ for a total of 320HP/375TQ or do we get this from the 91 Octane Rating of 300HP/325TQ for a total of 345HP/385TQ.

I guess we will know more one day.......

Last edited:

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So just fyi all the tunes do is increase boost by a couple psi, retard timing and yes the ecu does store parameter data. So if you go out and blow an engine they can see the last time frame the engine parameters ran and quickly deny warranty. Do you think a multi million dollar company wouldn’t put in any kind of safety net for warranty work? They would loose millions cause everyone would mod then blow an engine and get free rework.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m super happy with my 2.3 and always said I would get a tune the moment it came out from Ford. Now that I’ve had it and used it for 10 months I’m thinking I will pass if it ever comes out.

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So just fyi all the tunes do is increase boost by a couple psi, retard timing and yes the ecu does store parameter data. So if you go out and blow an engine they can see the last time frame the engine parameters ran and quickly deny warranty. Do you think a multi million dollar company wouldn’t put in any kind of safety net for warranty work? They would loose millions cause everyone would mod then blow an engine and get free rework.
I think the reason many of us are looking for a Ford Performance Pack for the Bronco is that the vehicle is still covered under warranty. Yes, compared to Livernois, Cobb, and others--Ford Performance may be a little on the low side from a power standpoint which is why they can offer the warranty. (and the fine print does say when installed by a Ford dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician)

I’m super happy with my 2.3 and always said I would get a tune the moment it came out from Ford. Now that I’ve had it and used it for 10 months I’m thinking I will pass if it ever comes out.
Yeah, I am happy to wait. Like you I am impressed by the "get up and go" of the 2.3 engine. I did just replace the intake with a K&N which did help...at least my butt dyno says so. However, if I can get 375 to 385TQ out of this engine and still have the warranty....I might just do it. ;-)
Sponsored