Sponsored

Why no locking fuel fill door on the Bronco ???

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like some of you need to move :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perfect solution: Get an EV. No gas to steal? No problem! lol 🤐

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Hyundai Elantra GT (Golf-like hatchback) has a very inexpensive and simple "deadbolt" design locking system. Note it's a "no key" design. I appreciate being able to lock out thieves.
I don't appreciate Ford for not providing me with fuel fill door locking functionality on my $55k and $62k MY2024 Broncos.

This video introduces what I'm talking about. A truck engineer by trade, I know that cost is minimal.

huh ...fords have a anti syphon system and it also stops fugitive emissions
its just high end tech is all

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If today's brand of criminal can't steal a car with a manual transmission, they've certainly never learned the art of siphoning gas. My wife's MDX has the locking gas door, I have to push the button on the drivers door to open the gas filler. It's a nuisance as far as I'm concerned but I've never been a victim of the "sugar in the gas tank" prank either.

PlayTime

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2dr 2.3L OBX non-SAS Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

4 Fords, 2 Chevy, and a smaller BMW or two since 1980 and none have had locking gas doors.
My motorcycle had a locking gas door, and that was mostly to mechanically keep it strongly shut in case of accident...

Sponsored

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My M-Series BMW doesn’t have a locking fuel cap. I guess BMW also doesn’t feel the need for one.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow my 2013 GT500 didn't have a locking fuel door nor did my Expedition, Explorer, F150s, Come to think of it I haven't seen a locking fuel door on a Ford in many many years. Why would they start for the Bronco? When the door closes the fuel neck get closed off, when it is opened you need a small funnel included with your purchase to open the little door in the fuel neck. Buy a skid plate for the fuel tank you will be money better spent.
I installed a locking fuel cap more to avoid vandals and mischief makers. My CJs were always a magnet for people especially when the top/doors were off. Maybe some day your engine is running like cr*p and you don't know why. Apparently these people got hit with sugar/water in the tank, maybe someone didn't like them hunting?

"Authorities are asking for the public's help to identify the person or persons who poured sugar into the gas tanks of hunters' vehicles in Tuscola County."

https://www.michigansthumb.com/news/article/sugar-gas-tank-hunters-tuscola-county-fall-18503196.php

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I Honestly didn't think locking fuel caps existed in the last 40 years - just locking fuel doors.

Jwredneck

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150, 1969 U14 EB, 1969 U15 EB
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought the capless systems prevented siphons and such. Thats why you need the special funnel when adding gas from a gas can. Ford isn't the only company to do this and since gas tanks are plastic now, they just drill the tank. I remember a year ago someone had a Wildtrak on here with something similar. They came out to their truck and found it without gas. Here is the thread: PSA: Gas Tank Got Drilled by Gas Thieves [WARNING: NO PROMOTING VIOLENCE or POLITICS] | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

I don't think a lock on your gas cap is your only concern.
That was us!

Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Hyundai Elantra GT (Golf-like hatchback) has a very inexpensive and simple "deadbolt" design locking system. Note it's a "no key" design. I appreciate being able to lock out thieves.
I don't appreciate Ford for not providing me with fuel fill door locking functionality on my $55k and $62k MY2024 Broncos.

This video introduces what I'm talking about. A truck engineer by trade, I know that cost is minimal.

It is locked when the doors are locked.

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed a locking fuel cap more to avoid vandals and mischief makers. My CJs were always a magnet for people especially when the top/doors were off. Maybe some day your engine is running like cr*p and you don't know why. Apparently these people got hit with sugar/water in the tank, maybe someone didn't like them hunting?

"Authorities are asking for the public's help to identify the person or persons who poured sugar into the gas tanks of hunters' vehicles in Tuscola County."

https://www.michigansthumb.com/news/article/sugar-gas-tank-hunters-tuscola-county-fall-18503196.php
I've had gas siphoned twice since 1981, and the windshield wipers vandalized once. All incidents were far from home while parked in somewhat remote areas for hiking trips. Both of the gas siphoning incidents almost resulting in my running out of gas while trying to make it through mountainous country to the nearest gas station which was pretty far away.

The second incident led to my getting a locking gas cap. I kept the original, non-locking one in the truck just in case I ever needed it, and a few years later I did. Lots of rough dirt roads shook up the locking cap enough that it suddenly because very hard to unlock while I was in a remote region on a trip. I didn't want to get locked out of refueling my truck, so I switched it out to the non-locking cap until I could buy a new locking one.

Glad to hear that newer vehicles are better protected from siphoning. How well does a good gas tank shield protect against holes being drilled?

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My M-Series BMW doesn’t have a locking fuel cap. I guess BMW also doesn’t feel the need for one.
My 2012 M135 did. For the fuel door. The fuel door was only locked when the car was locked. Which was nice because there was no fiddling around before pumping gas. Same for my '02 Cooper S. So not always a BMW thing. My Ford owned 2011 Range Rover is the same way. 2029 Ram has no lock. So kind of a mixed bag for me.
Sponsored