Sponsored

Will I regret not upgrading any of my build? (specifically Sasquatch)

OP
OP
Exhaust

Exhaust

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When I hit a speed trap I want to tap the clutch and have cruse turn off. I want to engine brake, not coast. That's how it's worked in every Ford I have owned since at least the late 80s.
I think it's to give you the ability to change gears while still in cruise
Sponsored

QCBroncodad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My vote is for badlands non-sas. I don’t regret at all not taking the Sasquatch. With the hero switches I’ve been able to get out of every tight spot, rocky path or snow and ice covered road. However, I don’t typically take my bronco extreme rock climbing either, some would argue that 35 also wouldn’t be enough for that. I would say get the 33s and if you decide to start rock climbing start shopping around for 37s with the proper lifts you would need to accommodate. Between the 33 and 35 inch I personally don’t feel there’s enough of an advantage.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would get the locking 4.27 differential, but then I'd consider the Badlands package if you want to save a few bucks... but I don't think you can get a "High" package.

I got a Base 2Dr 2.7 auto. I would have gotten elocker if I could have. I did put OBX tires on it. They were easy to find ($720 included new TPMS). I am happy enough. I consider SAS, but wanted better gas mileage. I get 23-25 MPG.

My daughter wanted an OBX 4Dr 2.7, and that is what she got. I told her for $795 get the eLocker. She is very happy with her choice. I noticed she gets about 19-20 MPG, but she drives harder than I do. Either way they are fun!

My advice -- get what you want, but make sure it AT LEAST it has a rear eLocker. Consider the 4-cyl engine. Single turbo, looks cleaner under the hood, less parts (by 1 turbo) and still lots of HP, and better gas mileage. Get a rear eLocker no matter what. That shouldn't even be a question.

Jvmulligan

Outer Banks
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Outer Banks and 2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I also bought the OBX with no sasquatch, a soft top and no tow kit. I ordered in 2021 which was when these items slowing down down deliveries. I did but the Lux package.

I definitely recommend the Lux package. The sound system is overrated but adaptive cruise is a must. And the 12" screen is nothing short of great.

I did put Sasquatch 35's on later. They are easy to find gently used from new owners looking for different wheels. Yes, the crash bars have to come off. Best to not crash! A simple 2" spacer lift gives my Bronco a great look. Bottom line, you can do this later. I would do it from the factory though. There are other capabilities the factory adds that I will never have. I don't really care, but to each his own. Btw, the ride did not get noticeably stiffer, the center of gravity did get noticeably higher (not unsafe at all though) and gas mileage dropped 2mpg.

I have loved the soft top. Pleasant surprise.

Bottom line, the OBX is a capable SUV and off roader. But, it is more comparable to the Jeep Sahara (mall crawler). If you want something comparable to the Rubicon, get Badlands. If the aesthetic of a bigger truck is appealing, think about doing what I did later. It wasn't really difficult or expensive.

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Aux switch package
Sas package
And the V6
Everything else is un needed fluff

These three choices you will not regret….
I regret not getting the bigger eng.. when I ordered mine there were issues with that motor but has been fixed from what I understand….

Sponsored

mmhenslee

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the input, everyone! Just an update, I've decided to go:
  • Badlands 2.3 manual: includes FT drive, 4.7 gears, front+rear lockers, but only 33" tires and not as much lift as Sasquatch - is a bit cheaper and everyone raves about the manual 2.3, also has the rubberized floors and MGV seats, which I prefer
  • High package - lots of great points made about the value of the Lux, and while I liked the B&O on my test drive, I think the 7 speakers with sub will probably not be much of a downgrade, and is at least already wired for an amp and sub I can upgrade later; I had a similar experience with the wireless charger on my test drive (made my phone crazy hot, didn't charge, but didn't lose battery either, wouldn't trust for a road trip - I don't think there's an aftermarket option for the manual either so that's a bummer), and I can live without ACC and heated steering wheel to save $2650
  • Hoop steps scrapped this idea since this means losing the default rock rails for rails that can't support the Bronco weight! IAG has multiple better options that work with the stock rails.
  • Dual tops
  • Undecided on towing receiver - $595 seems like a lot since i just need a bike rack and occasionally a cargo tray, but it's such a PITA to later add a wiring harness if I want to tow a trailer, and much uglier
Unfortunately the manuals are no longer an option for '23, so I'm going to wait a few weeks and hope that I can still order a '24 this way 🤞 There are pretty much zero for sale like this in the whole of the US without an ugly color (cactus? 🤢), lots of miles, or 2021 models (too much money for a 3 year old vehicle), much less near me. Hopefully I'm not waiting just to pay inflated prices on a compromise!
This is pretty much how I built mine. I did a bunch of research on Lux vs High specifically for the B&O, and turns out the only real upgrade is the 4" speakers in the dash corners that have a tweeter (you can replace for 100-200 dollars and add that in yourself or at a car audio shop), center channel speaker which doesnt add to the sound stage, and a DSP processor. It wasnt 2k value - I would have liked Adaptive cruise, but not for the price upgrade just as you stated

I would have liked dual tops and a manual, but didn't want to wait another year as my current car is getting small for 2 kids, and the wife said if we are getting a bronco it has to have the soft top for quick convertible access. Ill get an aftermarket hardtop at some point if everyone complains.

The physical lift difference between non SAS and SAS Badlands is only 0.4" - the tires add another inch. The shocks are identical except for orientation of the remote reservoir and spring perch position. So you are paying a 4K increase for 1.4" of ground clearance - its functional and had bead lock wheels, but something that you can also do yourself for close to the same price.

If you are OB, then maybe SAS is worth it? I dont like the painted fender look, and wanted a black interior. OB doesnt have a manual transmission option either. Neither does Wildtrack. Tons of people like the OB for the roast interior. Seems like you have moved to the BL now though.

I also wanted the big screen - I know its superficial, but if you get in a 10 year old car, one of the first things you notice is usually infotainment is obviously out of date. I know people think sasquatch will hold value - maybe it will - but I also wanted the screen to look "up to date" as long as possible for resale down the road. It made the ~1k upgrade from the mid package seem worth it to me. Cameras and all that stuff i just treated as extras.

Last - I got the tow package just because exactly as you said, I felt lazy and didnt want to wire up the connector for brake lights. Maybe a bit pricey, but it was 3 digits and didnt want to sweat it later.

Now if they could just SHIP THE DANG THING TO ME IM TIRED OF WAITING. sorry. end of rant.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

EDIT: Update here - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ild-specifically-sasquatch.78544/post-2004127

I'm about to place my order, and have prioritized creature comforts and technology over suspension and tires. I'll be mostly taking road trips with my family, so I'm going Outer Banks 2.7, Lux and tow packages, dual tops, regular PT drive, 3.7 gears, and 32" tires. I'm mostly curious if it's possible to upgrade to the 35" tires a few years down the road since I don't have a need currently and would rather prioritize gas mileage and ride and save the cost.
  • Will the 3.7 gears be OK with larger wheels/tires?
  • Would I still have to upgrade the suspension?
  • Will I miss the locking front and rear diffs?
  • Should I opt for the 4.27/rear locking diff now? (only $795 upgrade as opposed to the $5k Sasquatch package)
  • Anything else that is difficult/expensive to upgrade later?
TIA!

I would say do the 4.27 and rear diff for future proofing purposes. Thats a solid platform for you or the next owner to work with.

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think of you’re asking if you are going to regret it, then you are going to regret it. Nothing wrong with any configuration. I got the OBX because I saw no need for the disconnecting sway bar and I liked the styling better. SAS because it’s more than just big tires and I thought a great deal for what you get. No Lux because I don’t use cruise control and the B&O system is not that great. All personal preference. If you think you might want it, and you can afford it, I recommend you getting it.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also wanted the big screen - I know its superficial, but if you get in a 10 year old car, one of the first things you notice is usually infotainment is obviously out of date. I know people think sasquatch will hold value - maybe it will - but I also wanted the screen to look "up to date" as long as possible for resale down the road. It made the ~1k upgrade from the mid package seem worth it to me. Cameras and all that stuff i just treated as extras.
You're not off base at all. I had the same feeling as you going with lux.

Planning to keep this Bronco to the bitter end and I think a 12" infotainment will age better over the next decade. I'll do the whole lift and 35's thing once the warranty is up, didn't really need all the sas hardware for the extra 6 grand.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2 cents.

Skip the tow package. The hitch you can buy aftermarket for like $100 and it's literally 4 bolts, takes less than 5 minutes to install. That will cover bike racks and what not. If you need the trailer lights it's easy to add, someone has a plug and play kit if you're handy it's easy.

I would skip the dual tops and just get a Bimini Top (like Jtops USA). Swapping tops will be a pain and I doubt you'll do it year after year. The Bimini Top can stay on under the hard top so just take the panels off and go.

If you're going to offroad AT ALL get the SAS package. Best bang for your buck with lockers, lift, and tires. If you're gonna just street it don't bother, spacer lift and wheels and tires will be fine. I off-road hard so SAS was required and I've lifted from there for 37's (but the gears and lockers were more than worth it).

I have LUX and honestly I wouldn't buy a $50k+ vehicle that I daily drive without ACC. I like my "fluff", in fact I wish they made cooled seats as a "fluff" option so I didn't have to have swamp ass riding without doors and top in the summer...

To each their own, you're gonna get 100 different answers.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Exhaust

Exhaust

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Skip the tow package. The hitch you can buy aftermarket for like $100 and it's literally 4 bolts, takes less than 5 minutes to install. That will cover bike racks and what not. If you need the trailer lights it's easy to add, someone has a plug and play kit if you're handy it's easy.
I considered that, but I hate the way those light harnesses look just hanging there, the factory connectors look much nicer and more weatherproof. I would prefer Ford sold it separately and just install it myself, but oh well.

I would skip the dual tops and just get a Bimini Top (like Jtops USA). Swapping tops will be a pain and I doubt you'll do it year after year. The Bimini Top can stay on under the hard top so just take the panels off and go.
I don't think the bimini is comparable to the soft top. It's certainly not weatherproof and the soft top is so much easier to put up and down in the summer. Winters are rough here and I definitely think I'll spend the 30 minutes every 6 months to swap 6 bolts and tops.

If you're going to offroad AT ALL get the SAS package. Best bang for your buck with lockers, lift, and tires.
Disagree. Seems like the Badlands is the better bang for buck since it's almost as much lift, has both lockers and swaybar disconnect, and 33" tires. For me that's preferred for the slightly better gas mileage.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

EDIT: Update here - https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ild-specifically-sasquatch.78544/post-2004127

I'm about to place my order, and have prioritized creature comforts and technology over suspension and tires. I'll be mostly taking road trips with my family, so I'm going Outer Banks 2.7, Lux and tow packages, dual tops, regular PT drive, 3.7 gears, and 32" tires. I'm mostly curious if it's possible to upgrade to the 35" tires a few years down the road since I don't have a need currently and would rather prioritize gas mileage and ride and save the cost.
  • Should I opt for the 4.27/rear locking diff now? (only $795 upgrade as opposed to the $5k Sasquatch package)
TIA!
If you're an Inbetweener, and like the OBX but dont want tires as big as Sasquatch, but want options: upgrade to the 4.27 axle and the ADV transfer case and Rear Lockers. Thats what I did. I run 33" Badlands Take-offs. Perfect for me. If you have even half a thought of upgrading later to 35" tires, you must do the 4.27/Adv/ RearLocker. Your future is open. The ADV is a beaut. There are many of us put there with this road-friendly configuration. The rear locker (my first) is to die for on the beach.

Otherwise, if you really want Sasquatch, 35" tires, front & rear lockers, skid plates, upgraded shocks, Adv. TC, just buy it now. Its only $4,000-$5,000 more on an OBX. Theres no way you can build your own Sasquatch after the fact for that money. It includes so much more than the price.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I considered that, but I hate the way those light harnesses look just hanging there, the factory connectors look much nicer and more weatherproof. I would prefer Ford sold it separately and just install it myself, but oh well.

I don't think the bimini is comparable to the soft top. It's certainly not weatherproof and the soft top is so much easier to put up and down in the summer. Winters are rough here and I definitely think I'll spend the 30 minutes every 6 months to swap 6 bolts and tops.

Disagree. Seems like the Badlands is the better bang for buck since it's almost as much lift, has both lockers and swaybar disconnect, and 33" tires. For me that's preferred for the slightly better gas mileage.
Honestly what I think is the soft top looks like complete trash up or down. If you just want that feel of "flip and go" then get a Sunrider or a Skyrider. No Bimini tops are not weatherproof, not supposed to be, mine is mesh.

If you're that worried about fuel mileage don't buy a brick on wheels and definitely don't put bigger tires on it... I get around 14 mpg on the highway with mine on 37s.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The BL is a great choice. When I purchased mines I went non-SAS but I knew I was upgrading to my own suspension. I also knew I was switching out the front and back bumpers as well. I did want the 13 screen, dual climate, leather, power, carpet, and the Ad-cruise. Basically, everything my Harley F150 had, sans the cooling seats.

The soft top is not all bad, and I have a light bar up top. With aftermarket, as it is, I can buy an HT for 4k to 7k. My JTop is on the way, and I can always do some of the other things people have done to quiet it down. The B&O is not all bad, but a simple switch to Alpine Speakers and some Dynomat took care of that. The stock amp is more than enough to drive properly set up speakers.

So in the end, just pick up what YOU want to live with. I think nobody on this forum will agree with everything everyone has done to their build, but that is the beauty of it. My RIG is my own creation. It's what I wanted to do. In the end, that is all that matters.

TheRealLizG

Badlands
First Name
Lizeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

TIA!
I have had the 4 dr bronco badlands non Sasquatch for a little over a year now and have taken it from Texas through New Mexico and Colorado twice and down to the gulf coast of Texas as well. It’s driven well on muddy roads, dirt roads, the sandy beach, up the rugged Colorado mountain roads and the tree lined curvy New Mexico mountain roads. Never an issue and I’m quite pleased with it. Also opted for the luxe package and it’s comfy. The wireless charging pad, I think most who have it will agree ,sucks. It gets your phone too hot before it can even fully charge. And depending on the phone case it moved around too much to stay charged especially on bumpy roads. Save yourself the trouble if that’s the reason you’d want luxe. I use the charging cord instead. The auxiliary switches are a must if you plan to add extra lighting for those isolated night drives and camping. I mainly use it as my weekend driver and on road trips. The vinyl seating is great, the all rubber mats with floor drains is a must with the messy roads and kiddos. No regrets at all about not upgrading to Sasquatch . Unless you plan on doing lots of off-roading on more rugged courses then go for it. I’ve maneuvered well on all the site seeing trails I’ve attempted so far.
Sponsored