First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... If the black box can provide compelling evidence against drivers who gamble with others' lives I am all for it.
It is not the black box that is the problem, it is who can access the data and what legal protections apply. For instance, you are sitting at a stop light, get lightly rear ended by a drunk. They pull your data because you were involved in a felony accident. Is the data from two hours before pertinent to the case? Likely not, but now the State and whomever they share/sell data know where you have been driving for the last few hours or weeks. All without a warrant to track you. I personally would rather give up the ability to use such evidence in court (or evidence gained using that data to get a warrant) to preserve civil liberties. BTW, if folks don't know, the information you give your DMV is sold by the individual States to just about anyone that wants a list of names and associated addresses.
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What if the bank owns half of it still, do they have access? It is wrecked, the insurance company owns it now, is the data stored theirs now? You turn on the radio the first time and hit okay to a privacy policy pop up notice giving your data to Ford (or buried in the sales contract), or you pair your phone and give it permission to interact, or whatever. The data is not yours any more then the cell phone data is. If a warrant is served to access your phone data, they don't serve it to you, they serve the cell phone company or carrier. If you are counting on data generated by you too bring to you exclusively, I suspect your are going to be disappointed.
In that case, the bank owns your house, but that's not how things work.

Who "owns" something in theory is who pays taxes on it. The bank doesn't pay taxes on your house (escrow doesn't count here, that's only processing), nor does the bank pay the taxes on your car; you do.

Even a lease is "your" vehicle for the period that you drive it and have it registered to "you".

So, your car is your data, just like how a warrant is necessary to search your house or your car. Your cell phone data is your data as well. This is an ongoing court system back and fourth, but remember your 5th Amendment Right against self incrimination, that still holds in all cases of compelling you to provide evidence against yourself.

If the police can't open my cell phone, they can't get to my data, nor can i be forced to open it. I have a long pass code, and can easily turn off Face ID if needed like before I feel it may be stolen.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s not tin foil at all.

If this is a subject you care about (and we all should), call and write your elected representatives and tell them data ownership should be a property right.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We are pretty much at Minority Report level of recognition. Facebook and Google track and monetize your every move, even outside their apps (particularly FB). Sometimes you'll like it cause there will be relevant stuff for your Bronco interests, but then you realize what's happening.
hell even this site. have a look at what's being advertised to you as you read this. Bet it's something you recently googled, or related to a website you've visited. I can't get tire rack ad's to stop popping up.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wouldn’t do the insurance thing that tracks you, but at least they have the right idea that you should be compensated for your data. Facebook uses you for free even if you never signed up.

Sponsored

NoleDawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work in the auto insurance industry and I can tell you that unless you have willingly attached a tracking device to your vehicle, on a practical level your insurance company probably won’t be pulling any data unless a fatality is involved. Even then, it will require cooperation from you which you can just refuse to do. I don’t want to speak for other states, but here in GA it is really hard for an insurance company to be able to refuse to provide an insured coverage for really any reason.

Same for police, unless a fatality is involved, they lack the man power and resources to arrange everything to get a data pull before all that data is lost when a car is totaled and salvaged.

But, yeah, a lot is being tracked in modern vehicles. Even in older vehicles (10 years+) speed, brake engagement etc prior to a collision is recorded.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
what is this ”search warrant” you speak of? What is this, “Back to the Future?”
You betcha! It’s called the 4th amendment. I like that back to the future!!! Hahahaha.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hell even this site. have a look at what's being advertised to you as you read this. Bet it's something you recently googled, or related to a website you've visited. I can't get tire rack ad's to stop popping up.
Yep - 9 trackers on the site. Advertising pays for our habits.

Ford Bronco Will the new Bronco rat you out? 1614790046246

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Real estate and cars are not the same thing as far as legal protections, is data a physical possession? Or just the media holding it? All thorny questions, actually I would look at the music industry and the movies 'for sale' that can be revoked at will by the digital holder. I think we can all agree that the future will getting more and more intrusive until there is no privacy at all. "I see you spent two hours at an abortion clinic parking lot last week.". "Look at that, your car was at a rally for (insert any political party you like)". ETC.

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Both of my Porsches have a black box. I had a tech download the information in it. You would be shocked at what is being recorded in modern cars. Mostly for technical troubleshooting but also for avoiding liability by the manufacturer. There are 100s if not 1000s of data points being recorded. I will give one example: I wanted to see if the electronic hood release would work while moving at 5 mph or what speed the interlock kicked in (just out of curiosity only). I tried it at 1 mph and in increments up to a planned 5 mph. It prevented me from opening the hood release at 3 mph....bur recorded the opening at 1mph and 2 mph. It records everything including braking, steering angle, rpms etc.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For more information on fighting for your property rights see the Data Dividend Project. This is actually a non partisan issue everyone can get behind. “It’s my property and none of your business” is something we all can rally behind.

Here’s the link but yes, best practices would be to search (using DuckDuckGo) for Data Dividend Project yourself.

https://www.datadividendproject.com/

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I work in the auto insurance industry and I can tell you that unless you have willingly attached a tracking device to your vehicle, on a practical level your insurance company probably won’t be pulling any data unless a fatality is involved. Even then, it will require cooperation from you which you can just refuse to do. I don’t want to speak for other states, but here in GA it is really hard for an insurance company to be able to refuse to provide an insured coverage for really any reason.

Same for police, unless a fatality is involved, they lack the man power and resources to arrange everything to get a data pull before all that data is lost when a car is totaled and salvaged.

But, yeah, a lot is being tracked in modern vehicles. Even in older vehicles (10 years+) speed, brake engagement etc prior to a collision is recorded.
I can assure you that if I am dead, I will not cooperate. LMAO. ;)

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep - 9 trackers on the site. Advertising pays for our habits.

Ford Bronco Will the new Bronco rat you out? 1614790046246
What I'm still trying to figure out tho... Is my search history will show on my wife's apps. She'll be like, you were looking up tires today huh. So I'm not sure how that's happening. I've tried looking, and she's not signed in on any of my accounts. But we do share a pixel book. But with each our own accounts. Unless the pixel book shares it's cookie repository? But I figured that'd be separate.

I look at it as an easy way for me to drop hints of what I want for my birthday or Christmas. :LOL:
Sponsored