Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi there, ok, so I think I may be the first to install the RC hidden winch kit on a 2.7L mod bumper. I have a First Edition and want to keep it looking stock. Now I'll be the first to tell you that I have EXCLUSIVELY purchased WARN winches prior and I agree RC would not be my choice of winch (and it may get swapped out down the road) however this is not really an off road vehicle for me as I have a built Gladiator on 40's so it'll do or now.

I did want to accomplish a couple of things however with my First Edition:
1. Keep it basically looking stock (no lift, just front level)
2. Set it up for dinghy towing
3. Add a winch, in case I want to hit some trails or need it to help someone out
4. Add onboard air
6. Add steps so the kids can get it
7. Get rid of the auto start/stop

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Basically we separated the winch from it's power controller, moved the cooler up some from it's stock location to on-top of the winch, mounted the controller up by the battery and ran the controller extension out to behind the front license plate which was converted to flip up. Behind the front license plate I have my winch control, air chuck (dual ARB compressor under the hood), break away and tow wiring connector. This does not affect the AAC, camera and we used the factory skid plate. I know someone mentioned going wireless, I have done that before on prior builds and find that the remote is always dead when I need it so I've gone back to wired remotes on my winches, but maybe that's just me?

Sorry, I didn't have the shop document the install process, we just focused on making it work, but if you have a good off-road fab shop (not a bolt on parts shop) it can be done and you could swap out the winch if it meets the size and spec of the space of the RC with their mount.

As a fellow wheeler, the one thing I would warn you about with this setup if you do plan to do a lot of wheeling in the future is that the winch is not accessible. That means you can't unlock it and free-spool so it you need to run it out, you have to electronically run it out slowly. This could be frustrating if using it a lot on a trail. For me, this is really a like to have on this than a plan to use so I'm good with it as I use the jeep for off roading, but if I planned to actually wheel the Bronco, I'd probably lean toward relocating the AAC module and putting the WARN up front.

20220215_134759.jpg

20220215_134824.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-102610_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-102622_Gallery.jpg

Bronco and Jeep.png
I love the hidden connections! I’m a non front plate state….
Iirc the warm platinum zeon 10 uses an electric remote spool solenoid. Not cheap…. @ 2000
Sponsored

Deleted member 31617

I love the hidden connections! I’m a non front plate state….
Iirc the warm platinum zeon 10 uses an electric remote spool solenoid. Not cheap…. @ 2000
Thanks. Yeah, but even with the wireless remote the Warn still has a hump on top. The RC, while not my favorite, has the removable control box and has no hump on top at that point allowing more space for the relocation. Haven't seen another winch like that (I'm sure there is) also, I don't plan to really wheel the Bronco, just wanted this as a backup for fun, mainly use the Gladiator.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. Yeah, but even with the wireless remote the Warn still has a hump on top. The RC, while not my favorite, has the removable control box and has no hump on top at that point allowing more space for the relocation. Haven't seen another winch like that (I'm sure there is) also, I don't plan to really wheel the Bronco, just wanted this as a backup for fun, mainly use the Gladiator.
I don’t know if it’s too wide to fit
Which is another issue too

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi, sorry, as I said, we were really focused on making it work and didn't really think about pictures along the way. Now that it is all closed up there isn't really a way to get a picture showing it as it's all tucked away and inaccessible without opening it back up. We did make custom mounting brackets to connect the two though, that's why you need a fab shop.
Are you able to explain that at all? Connect the two what?

Is there a reason you need a full blown fab shop? Wondering if a buddy and I can make it work with more typical tools, or if you literally had something machined out. We have welders, torches, grinders, etc

Like this?

Ford Bronco Winch on modular bumper (Badlands) Screenshot_20220223-132238_Brave

Sponsored

Deleted member 31617

I had a fab shop make the new mounting brackets for the cooler and do the installation. If you can make brackets/weld then you can do it at home. If not, I'd suggest a fab shop, you want to make sure everything is properly secured. Up to you if you want to tackle it on your own, only you can decide that.

Based on that pic of the Warn, you can separate and use that if it fits in the space width wise and you'll need to find a location for the top half of the winch.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

ummm..... you've apparently found the holy grail. You've GOT to let us know more details. Like 100 people are feverishly wanting this and working on it. Please brother. You can also make a mint if you develop a kit. May be just some pics underneath the side of the skid plate?
Unfortunately there is nothing to see, the side of the skid plate is completely closed off with the kit mounting bracket, I looked, you can't see a thing, but a good custom off road (fab) shop should be able to do this for you.
Seriously. I'd pay pretty much anything for this solution. Literally any write-up would be heavenly.

Deleted member 31617

Seriously. I'd pay pretty much anything for this solution. Literally any write-up would be heavenly.
@Boston182 if you read my original post and the prior responses here, I explain exactly what was done so I'm not sure what you are asking by "literally any write-up would be heavenly" I've written up exactly what was done?

I don't have parts or a step by step manual available for others to do this. I tried to help by posting that this can be done as many were asking if it's possible with any reasonability but everyone now seems frustrated that I'm not providing a step by step video guide with parts and how to, I'm sorry, I had a qualified custom fab shop do this for me because it's beyond my personal garage skills so I can't tell people if they can do this themselves at home, exactly what the connections look like, etc.

What I can tell you is, it can be done. It's not a major ordeal, the trans cooler just needs to be moved up if you separate the winch and you can retain the factory hoses.

Sorry for the rant, but I was hoping this info would help folks but it seems to just have created a group of folks mad at me for not providing step by step instructions, photos and parts.

@Boston182, I see you are in San Francisco, I could reccomend a shop in Southern California that could probably do this for you, not familiar with one in NorCal, feel free to message me if you'd like their info.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@Boston182 if you read my original post and the prior responses here, I explain exactly what was done so I'm not sure what you are asking by "literally any write-up would be heavenly" I've written up exactly what was done?

I don't have parts or a step by step manual available for others to do this. I tried to help by posting that this can be done as many were asking if it's possible with any reasonability but everyone now seems frustrated that I'm not providing a step by step video guide with parts and how to, I'm sorry, I had a qualified custom fab shop do this for me because it's beyond my personal garage skills so I can't tell people if they can do this themselves at home, exactly what the connections look like, etc.

What I can tell you is, it can be done. It's not a major ordeal, the trans cooler just needs to be moved up if you separate the winch and you can retain the factory hoses.

Sorry for the rant, but I was hoping this info would help folks but it seems to just have created a group of folks mad at me for not providing step by step instructions, photos and parts.

@Boston182, I see you are in San Francisco, I could reccomend a shop in Southern California that could probably do this for you, not familiar with one in NorCal, feel free to message me if you'd like their info.
Sorry man. I wasn't trying to imply I'm frustrated. I think mostly trying to convey you've done what was said to be impossible (hidden winch on 2.7 with stock mod bumper and bash plates) and the rest of us want to do the same.

Speaking only for myself, I've worked with mechanics and shops and been dicked over enough times that my trust is wavering. So when I go to a place, I want to be the smartest person in the room. Education and knowledge is power. So for me to go to a place stone cold and not know what the shit I'm talking about isn't my favorite place to be. So, I think the rest of us just want to pick your brain.

I hope you can see this as flattering and not an annoyance.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gals and fellas,

I have a completely stock (at the moment, anyway) '21 4-door Badlands with Sasquatch, Lux, and a soft top.

I originally intended to replace the front bumper but the more I watch online the more I think, maybe I'll keep it. It's steel, which is heavy, but it's tough. And it's a big truck anyway. And I can mount fog lights and what-have-you in the little recesses the bumper has. So what the heck.

Obviously, any serious wheeling machine needs a winch so I'm considering a winch to be placed onto the modular bumper. It'll be an American-made Warn for sure. Have one of those on my Jeep.

I've admittedly not done a ton of research on this so flagellate me, if needed, for not searching 'til now. Anyone done this yet? I like the cameras. Don't feel like finding a way to move them around, etc. Can I easily mount a Warn winch on the modular bumper and not mess up the cameras?

Thanks.

-JC
I know I may be very alone on this but I have never needed ACC or a front camera but I have relied on a winch several times to get me home safe and sound out of the frozen snow packed mountains and hard rock canyons. Acc and front camera will never get me out of a jam in need of survival. I'm in the same boat as you and I feel comfortable putting the bumper and winch where I need them. If it renders the acc and camera unusable so be it. I was hoping for an acc and camera delete option so my wife can still have the heated steering wheel.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know I may be very alone on this but I have never needed ACC or a front camera but I have relied on a winch several times to get me home safe and sound out of the frozen snow packed mountains and hard rock canyons. Acc and front camera will never get me out of a jam in need of survival. I'm in the same boat as you and I feel comfortable putting the bumper and winch where I need them. If it renders the acc and camera unusable so be it. I was hoping for an acc and camera delete option so my wife can still have the heated steering wheel.
No argument here! They’re doo-dads compared to a real and useful tool like a winch. I can afford to wait for a “perfect” solution because I mostly wheel my Jeep anyway and I can’t risk damaging the Bronco yet as it’s my wife’s daily. When the perfect kit comes out I’ll get that. Until then the Bronco sees the road or light trail duty only. Already had to rescue to the Bronco once with my Jeep’s winch…

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
No argument here! They’re doo-dads compared to a real and useful tool like a winch. I can afford to wait for a “perfect” solution because I mostly wheel my Jeep anyway and I can’t risk damaging the Bronco yet as it’s my wife’s daily. When the perfect kit comes out I’ll get that. Until then the Bronco sees the road or light trail duty only. Already had to rescue to the Bronco once with my Jeep’s winch…
What's wrong with both? I use my camera to make sure I am all the way int the garage and not going to hit anything. I have a super tight 1960s split level two car garage with two cars, 3 bicycles, 73" tool chest and a BMW 1200GSA. I actually use my camera more than I do the parking sensors, but both are easy to retain. ACC just makes things easier and more relaxing driving.

I have a winch on my work truck, one Bronco and soon my second Bronco. All three will retain the tech that came with them.

Tech and mechanics are not mutually exclusive

SRB_ Beach bum

Badlands
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lagniappeon30a.com
Vehicle(s)
1977 Ford Bronco, 2010 Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rough Country Modular Bumper Winch mount; JCR front camera mount. All radar sensors remain functional. Factor 55 winch hook. Warn Zeon 8S.

Winch picture.jpg

Bronco front.jpg
Sponsored