First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi all, is there much difference between these 2 winter tires? I ask due to pricing and shipping/delivery time.
1. Yokohama Ice Guard GO75
2. Nokia Tyres Hakkapeliitta LT3

Also, I get snow/Ice for 4 months or so....however the roads are well kept. Studded tires aren't necessary... right?
Thanks
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Usually good tire comparisons are sparse, and that holds true in this case. I did manage to find a comparison test that includes the G075 and some Nokian tires (just not the LT3).

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/art...nter-tires-for-cars-and-small-suvs-2021-2022/

They don't publish any actual test numbers like Tire Rack usually does, so there's no transparency as to how they got their rankings and ratings. There could be a 3 foot different in stopping distance or a 30 foot distance between any two tires, but we don't know from the test. The only info we're given is qualitative "good" or "excellent," and they have Amazon Affiliate links after each tire, implying that they'd go soft on any negatives in hopes you'll click the link and buy the tires.

That being said, the G075 ended up in the bottom half of their list, while Nokian topped it. Nokian is always a good bet for winter tires.

If you find yourself driving on hard-packed ice or snow the majority of those 4 months, I'd go studded. Studs are loud and slippery on pavement, so if you typically have clear roads with intermittent snow/blizzards, I'd skip the studs. If you're driving on snow every day for months, I'd do studs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigerwalk

Tigerwalk

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you, appreciate it

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I will be using the studded Nokian's as my winter tires. Non-studded tires work well in fresh snow. Once it is packed and glazed over studs really come into play. If you get icy ay all studs could save you. My use will be in NW Montana. Our area doesn't see much snow but 60 miles south is the next "big" town they get piles of it. If I have to run to town I don't want to get caught short.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've always heard good things about Bridgestone Blizzak. I never had an issue with them when I lived up north.

Sponsored

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all, is there much difference between these 2 winter tires? I ask due to pricing and shipping/delivery time.
1. Yokohama Ice Guard GO75
2. Nokia Tyres Hakkapeliitta LT3

Also, I get snow/Ice for 4 months or so....however the roads are well kept. Studded tires aren't necessary... right?
Thanks
Honestly, I would stick with the Goodyear Territory’s if you have Sasquatch and still running them. They are really good in the snow. I ran them last winter in CO and were great in the mountains with variable road conditions, same in town. People complain about them throwing rocks but that tread size and pattern is good for snow. And mudflaps cure the rock throwing.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think where winter tires really shine is on ice.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And to quell the cries of "All-Terrains are fine!" here is a good test comparing an all-terrain, a highway tire, a snow tire, a studded snow tire, and an M/T.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/03/winter-tire-test-some-treads-are-better-than-others.html

In short, the snow tire kicked ass everywhere. Stopping distances from 30mph were 12ft shorter than the K02, which is the difference between not hitting a car and going straight through it.

My favorite part is how the M/T was absolutely worthless garbage in the snow - snow is not mud and rocks, so your big, beefy tread blocks have no power in the snow.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree! Mud Terrains are not great for snow.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the roads are typically well maintained, you could buy any 3PMSF (3-peak mountain snowflake) rated all-terrain tire. The BFG KO2 tire that comes standard on Badlands is an example of a 3PMSF rated tire. The iceGUARD and the Hakkapelitta tires you posted are also both 3PMSF rated.

Those that live in environments (parts of Alaska, and a handful of rural areas in Canada and the northern States) that need studded tires typically know they need studded tires. So if you are questioning it, you probably don’t need it. In New Brunswick the typicaly maintain the roads well, so I don't think you need studded tires unless you go on winter adventures farther north.

Personally, I live in New England and anytime it snows all of the various DOTs (MassDOT, CTDOT, NHDOT, MaineDOT, and VTrans) try to turn our states into a salt flat. So I tend to stick to a solid 3PMSF rated tire that makes sense for use year round... such as Toyo Open Country AT3, BFG KO2, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first snow of every winter, the ditches in my area are LITTERED with 4x4s running M/T tires. Mud tires perform OK in deep snow, but if there is a light layer of snow/ice on the roads, you might as well be on ice skates. KO2s aren't a snow tire, but they perform MUCH closer to a snow tire in light snow than M/T tires do.

All the folks on here that bought the Sasquatch package and have never driven M/T tires on light snow should be VERY careful when they do.

Sonny

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've always heard good things about Bridgestone Blizzak. I never had an issue with them when I lived up north.
The Blizzak doesn't seem to come in a sasquatch size though :( Neither do any of the Nokians.

OP
OP
Tigerwalk

Tigerwalk

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you,
The first snow of every winter, the ditches in my area are LITTERED with 4x4s running M/T tires. Mud tires perform OK in deep snow, but if there is a light layer of snow/ice on the roads, you might as well be on ice skates. KO2s aren't a snow tire, but they perform MUCH closer to a snow tire in light snow than M/T tires do.

All the folks on here that bought the Sasquatch package and have never driven M/T tires on light snow should be VERY careful when they do.
Cheers. I ended up buying the Nokian LT3 tires

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Agreed, I have Goodyear MTR kevlars for my ranger, and if you leave them on for winter you need to take it easy or you will slide all over the place.
Sponsored