Sponsored

Would you abandon the Bronco for the FJ?

WJR93

Wildtrak
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150, 1969 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Personally no. However, I do think it would be great for the market as a whole in terms of more competition, and available options. FJs are great in their own right.
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I loved the look of the FJ, but never bought one, so I would at least like to see what they may offer. I've seen articles of a lower cost Land Cruiser and mention of the FJ40 in those articles so I wonder if they are in fact one and the same?

But seeing how long it is taking to redesign the new Tundra, Tacoma and 4Runner, I would not hold my breath waiting for it.

Bravo19

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only Toyota's that interest me are the ones they refuse to sell over here. The 70 series trucks, either the troop carrier or double cab I'd take them over the Bronco.
IF the 70 series was cleared to sell on our shores, i'd seriously take a look. Production outside the US has kept it simple and basic as it should be. Toyota US tried to make everything look and drive like a Lexus.
great look at a modern 70 series.

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd definitely give it a serious look if Toyota did as good of a job as Ford has with the Bronco. Like I've said almost every time I post on this forum, I'm a Toyota guy, but they are boring (albeit insanely reliable). If they gave a new FJ the Bronco heritage treatment with all the thoughtful design and attention to detail like Ford has and did so with a shot of adrenaline to a modern engine, hell yes I'd be interested.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not even if the Bronco were sinking into the Swamp of Sadness and the FJ came with its own luck dragon.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not even if the Bronco were sinking into the Swamp of Sadness and the FJ came with its own luck dragon.
So .... youā€™re undecided then??

?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

NOPE !!! ................... even if the FJ could be delivered before the Bronco.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd definitely give it a serious look if Toyota did as good of a job as Ford has with the Bronco. Like I've said almost every time I post on this forum, I'm a Toyota guy, but they are boring (albeit insanely reliable). If they gave a new FJ the Bronco heritage treatment with all the thoughtful design and attention to detail like Ford has and did so with a shot of adrenaline to a modern engine, hell yes I'd be interested.
I am a Toyota guy (handful of 4runners). I had a heavily modified 2nd Gen, Straight Axle Swap, stretched, caged, gear driven t-case, caged and I would destroy my buddies modded Land Cruisers and Jeeps. I agree with everything you say. Nonetheless, I am a Ford guy too. I know the Bronco will not be the rock king beast, but it will be an incredible overland and baja rig.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
NOPE !!! ................... even if the FJ could be delivered before the Bronco.
If I read between the lines, Baus67(AKA redneck) says YES!!!....but only if the FJ is delivered after the Bronco!

That puts him in the undecided category with Squatch. Cool :cool: :LOL:

Seriously though, their resolve is commendable. (y)

Last edited:

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is money to be made in the segment the Jeep currently owns.

The high interest the Bronco is receiving is arguably due to Ford doing their homework and thoughtfully or luckily deciding to resurrect it beautifully in the mold of the original and giving it credibility to be a true off-road SUV.

If Toyota were to theoretically be inspired to do the same with their own legendary FJ40 series (obviously for financial reasons to gain a share of this lucrative market segment) and bring it to life staying true to the original's appealing qualities would you abandon your decision to wait for the Bronco and wait for the FJ instead ?

51572684-D283-431D-AB7C-21E298EA2380.jpeg

B4429AD2-F94E-4123-890A-E4DD8543A197.jpeg
...sounds like something a Toyota executive would ask! Trying to dip your toe in the water, huh?! Go infiltrate another group!

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a Toyota guy (handful of 4runners). I had a heavily modified 2nd Gen, Straight Axle Swap, stretched, caged, gear driven t-case, caged and I would destroy my buddies modded Land Rovers and Jeeps. I agree with everything you say. Nonetheless, I am a Ford guy too. I know the Bronco will not be the rock king beast, but it will be an incredible overland and baja rig.
The Bronco is going to be amazing. No doubt. But Iā€™m honestly not sure Iā€™d choose it over an apples to apples, ā€œToyota did the old LC justiceā€ new model FJ. Iā€™d have to test drive both.

Sadly that isnā€™t an option. But luckily, the Bronco is actually a real thing we all have a chance to buy and build as we like.

Maybe Toyota will one day do the classic FJ40 justice, but Iā€™m not holding my breath. Iā€™d venture that we will see a new gen Bronco about the same time we see a new FJ.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I read between the lines, Baus67(AKA redneck) says YES!!!....but only if the FJ is delivered after the Bronco!

That puts him in the undecided category with Squatch. Cool :cool: :LOL:

you smoked me out @zaki !! :ROFLMAO: If it has a V-8 and SFA then I'm in tomorrow.

NOT !!!!!!!

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd love a base model modern FJ40, 55, 60, 70 or 80.
But sad reality is that the Toyota will be out of my price range. If my Bronco will come in around $35k, the Yota will be $45 at a minimum.
My base model 2017 Tacoma was about $25k new, sold 4 years later with 60k miles for $22,500.00. I sold this perfectly good, reliable and nice-looking truck to put back a down payment for my Bronco.
Just for shits I priced the same truck but with a v6 last week, and started wishing I hadn't sold the '17.
I am all in on a Bronco now, and daily driving my beat up old jeep with 250k miles, re-tread 33's and a welded rearend, because it's paid for until Ford quits jackin us around waiting for the Bronco.
I hope like hell I don't regret this move.
Sponsored