Sponsored

Wrong size of torx+ for front bumper bolts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is this supposed to be helpful?
Not really, no. This same thread has been posted probably a dozen times in the past and even if it hadn't complaining you used the wrong size Torx bit because Ford didn't include it is like complaining you used the wrong wrench on a drain plug because it didn't come with the car either.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
ACES

ACES

Wildtrak
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m an idiot. Thank all you bored, mean, no good sums of whatever for kicking me in my ass and making this a unwelcoming place. You need something more than this site can provide

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m an idiot. Thank all you bored, mean, no good sums of whatever for kicking me in my ass and making this a unwelcoming place. You need something more than this site can provide

Dude, hold up a bit. You're the one who demanded we call Ford because you stripped a bolt. Take the shit most guys give each other in turn and stick around. We all end up being on the receiving end at times.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, the Bronco bolts on the modular front bumper are Torx Plus 40 (TP40). A T40 bit and a TP40 bit will both fit in a TP40 bolt, but the T40 will fit loosely and is more likely to cam out, so is often used in field repairs if the proper tool is not readily available. The TP40 bit fits better and should be used, if available.

The photos below confirm that the Bronco bolts are actually TP40, since a Torx Plus bit will NOT fit in a standard Torx bolt. (Apologies for all the mud.)

Ford Bronco Wrong size of torx+ for front bumper bolts! 3BA47FBC-7908-46F8-9128-CFBADC221996
Ford Bronco Wrong size of torx+ for front bumper bolts! FEA79572-EC0D-4F3E-9941-A57FCD69042E

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FWIW, the Bronco bolts on the modular front bumper are Torx Plus 40 (TP40). A T40 bit and a TP40 bit will both fit in a TP40 bolt, but the T40 will fit loosely and is more likely to cam out, so is often used in field repairs if the proper tool is not readily available. The TP40 bit fits better and should be used, if available.

The photos below confirm that the Bronco bolts are actually TP40, since a Torx Plus bit will NOT fit in a standard Torx bolt. (Apologies for all the mud.)

Ford Bronco Wrong size of torx+ for front bumper bolts! FEA79572-EC0D-4F3E-9941-A57FCD69042E
Do you ever wash that thing?

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hate to break it to you fella's, but, you did not get that tool kit for free!
My kit came with the correct size bit for the bumper bolts, whatever the size is, but I also have a full set (2 sets actually) of Torx + bits if it wasn't. I wouldn't try to make the wrong size work.
It's a nice little kit that you didn't pay for, but it wasn't meant to be the only tools you need to work on the Bronco.
You didn't notice you were trying to use the wrong bit BEFORE applying torque and stripping the head?

I guess Ford should have included the right tool for every fastener on the entire vehicle for free, and of course color coded everything for the folks who otherwise can't tell if they're using the right tool.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I went to install a license plate frame, aftermarket, and the stupid torx+ bit in the tool kit is NOT the correct size!! Ford put a size 30 in the tool kit and the modular bumper size is a 35. WTF! I stripped one screw. Luckily I have a bunch of these. How irresponsible. Everyone should put a torx+ bit size 35 into their tool kit. Actually everyone should call Ford and demand that they send them a size 35 torx+ bit!
Yes I understand the 30 is needed also.

Yea, this was a brand new thing for Bronco owners to find out.

In early 2021.

Then the threads on the correct torx+ to use and how the correct one isn't in the kit.

@Razorbak86 even made special threads with detailed info and what to use.

I feel you though. That was too long ago for any information to still exist on the forums outside using the search function, and only communists use the search function!

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stick around, save yourself a bunch of mistakes going forward, a wealth of information to be had, just have to learn to read the room.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tried the search. Always had like 25 pages of results and I spelled it wrong. I vented on my first post in hast
No worries ACES,
We all make mistakes and when we do some times we eat some crow. Good on ya for owning up to it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.