Sponsored

You seasoned Ford Guys: your opinion on the 2.3 Turbo?

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. But you have to flash the computer to run 93 octane to get the best performance.

Thats why the 2.3 in the Mustang comes from the factory with 310hp and 350tq.

And the 2.3 Bronco comes with 270hp and 310tq.
Thanks for that nugget of information, did not know. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedHotLava

RedHotLava

Badlands
First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People don't understand how insanely powerful and efficient the new turbo engines are.
Once they figured out direct injection it was like a free for all.
That, and the infinitely tuneable characteristics of variable boost (turbo) gives a tuner a blank canvas.
I really like the idea of a manual because of the crawl gear - I bet you can do 90% of your off roading without going to 4 low.

I just wonder how many options you give up going with the manual - one pedal driving and the trail turning for sure. What else???
Cool

yes, not a lot in 4 low but I usually have to hit it when we go out.

Same, if that's all then I don't know if I want an auto, but wheeling in auto's is nice, so much easier :ROFLMAO:

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn't say that at all.

The 4 cylinder is much more advanced.
Firstly, because it has much more history starting with a Duratec.

2nd, it has MUCH more aftermarket support. As in exponentially so.

3rd, its an internally balanced engine which has much more potential for performance

4th, it can do many more things than the 2.7. You can make it into a torque monster, you can turn it into a high horsepower race engine. Check out mountune.com The 2.7 is a fantastic motor, but its a one trick pony.

5th, the 4 cyl setup is much more lighter, easier to get to stuff and much more room under the hood if you want to add air compressors, etc etc.

They both have advantages and disadvantages, but I would/will pick the 2.3 if its available with the Sasquatch.

It's a nice engine but the 2.7 is much more advanced. I see a really long development path for the 2.7.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Headgaskets don't just blow for the hell of it..they blow for a reason.

In the Focus RS, the issue is with cooling. So yes, they have been known to blow.

Hopefully, and fingers crossed - they have that figured out by now...

Nobody will know until we start putting miles on these engines.

Just like the 2.7 might have some other issue in this platform that wasn't an issue in the F150.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

half the cost of 3500 + 1600....??? because that's the cost for us not wanting an auto...

How much does a damn tune cost???!!! lol
Well if you want a manual you’re stuck anyway. I would assume a tune is around $500 and that you would be spending much more on intake/exhaust goodies.

Sponsored

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
A tune itself shouldnt be much over 100-150.
It's the tuner that is going to cost additional.

Depending on the ECU setup (or PCM if you like) - if it's locked, then the unlocking will cost another ~150 ish...

Well if you want a manual you’re stuck anyway. I would assume a tune is around $500 and that you would be spending much more on intake/exhaust goodies.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have no desire to build a 2.3 into a 600hp monster. I just pointed out the aftermarket support along with the possibilities.

If i go with the 2.3 im perfectly fine with a simple 93 Octane tune and getting 310+hp and 360+tq.

That power is in line with the 2.7 for less money and light years ahead of Jeeps 3.6

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

another pro for the 2.3, the thing is so small you could stick another one in the back for parts! lol

niknailor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In the Focus RS, the issue is with cooling. So yes, they have been known to blow.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this due to the specific gasket being used in that initial run of the engine, and has been fixed on everything with the 2.3 after it? I haven't heard about headgaskets specifically being an issue on anything else with that motor in it, anyways.

And honestly, call me when they start popping headgaskets like old EJ25's did in the 1990's and I'll worry.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You mean the RS issue that has now been resolved? Might want to actually read up on it before you blanket it on all the 2.3s.

I'll be happy with what I've seen and read with the 2.3 and I take it you're getting the 6 with your Bronco?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ok, thanks for the advice, you might want to as well, the shudder isn't in the Mustang and isn't related to the 2.3, could be the 10 speed, could be drivetrain, I guess we're lucky that the new Bronco is based on the new Ranger not the one currently for sale.

If you're that concerned with not having actual reviews of the Bronco then you might want to wait and continue reading your internet conjectures instead of passing it off as fact and I'll let you know if I have any issues once mine comes in.
Sponsored