Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So very sad and grim times ahead for her friends and family. I’m sure we all here hate reading things like this. Everyone stay alert and safe.

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FYI ... tesla's have the best crash ratings in the industry

This does not meam you can't die in them as with any car in a crash you can die
Performing well in an actual crash, and scoring well on specific crash tests are two different things. Tests are a good indicator on many things, but it's not a direct translation to real world accidents.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
agreed! BUT you have to start somewhere right?

So it starts with simulated crashes in a control environment with dummies.

Or would you like to test in the real world where people can die?

Performing well in an actual crash, and scoring well on specific crash tests are two different things. Tests are a good indicator on many things, but it's not a direct translation to real world accidents.

Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's interesting that the fire department strategy is to keep spraying water on the fire given lithium reacts violently with water.
We call it a PR stream. Trust me, we know how things react, keeps us alive to know these things... BUT! The general public is ignorant of how things like lithium and magnesium burn. We would love nothing more than to stand and watch a total loss burn out, it takes less time which means I can leave sooner. But if we did that, all that the tax-paying public would see is their tax dollars standing on the side of the road doing nothing. So we put a little water on it so that people have the perception of us doing good even though we're actually wasting more resources than if we just let it burn out by itself.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very sad that she died.
Unfortunately for her, mass wins... always. You can lobby and advertise all you want about efforts to improve safety, but you can't change science...
Depending on the model, the Tesla weight is very close or even higher than the Bronco.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Generally curious what the crash rating for the Bronco will be when they come out. They seem to be pretty solid.
Curious as well.

I'm sure head-on and side collision will be okay. But the roll-over is what I'm personally most curious about.

Sponsored

scubasteve

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very sad that she died.
Unfortunately for her, mass wins... always. You can lobby and advertise all you want about efforts to improve safety, but you can't change science...
Mass doesn't always win.

Mass is involved in the equation, but really its change in momentum and deceleration (which includes mass as one of the variables). The biggest factor in car crashes is simply time. The longer you can make the impact last, the longer you can spread/absorbed the opposing forces and the change in momentum. Its why crumple zones exist.

Unfortunately, just because a car has a good safety rating, once you get to excessive speeds, much like anything, you are operating beyond what materials and systems are typically designed for.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But it does look like an offset impact to drivers side of bronco, which is a tough standard at IIHS
Well, it doesn't look like an actual "head-on" collision to me; head-on as my understanding is two cars hitting front-to-front. The pic seems to indicate the Model 3 was hit in the right front door right on the A-pillar. Side impacts are higher in probability of severely injuring drivers and passengers.

Off-topic, but Tesla and Tesla owners HATE when a Tesla gets in the media for an accident, because it is always assumed the Tesla was on Auto Pilot.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's interesting that the fire department strategy is to keep spraying water on the fire given lithium reacts violently with water.
~~Elemental Lithium is reactive with water, but that is not what is used in the batteries - they use some form of Lithium Oxide such as LiFePO4, which is not reactive in water. It is the same reason table salt, or Sodium Cloride, is not reactive, but pure Sodium is very reactive.~~
Edit: Nevermind, turns out LiFePO4 does burn.

Last edited:

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'd like to know the what the data recorders say.
How fast, when did the collision avoidance systems kick in and how effective were they.
What actions were taken by the drivers.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.