Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very sad that she died.
Unfortunately for her, mass wins... always. You can lobby and advertise all you want about efforts to improve safety, but you can't change science...
Teslas are heavier than the Bronco.
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

/sarcasm
According the social media the tesla should have obliterated the Bronco due to their high safety rating.

Also I can't help it with the irony that she worked for Swift and failed to negotiate the curve.

Generally curious what the crash rating for the Bronco will be when they come out. They seem to be pretty solid.
The window on the bronco did not even shatter amazing

Mr. Plow

Black Diamond
First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Expedition, 09' FEH, 68' Mercury Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is definitely sad. Turns out the person who passed away was a very good friend of my co-worker. She just found out about an hour ago. Losing a loved one is tough at any point, but during the holiday season it has to be really hard on loved ones. Prayers to all involved, including the bronco owner who also sustained injuries. I love the Bronco and I can't wait to get mine, but the Bronco can eventually be replaced. Unfortunately, her life can't. I believe she might have been a mother of 2. Stay safe everyone.

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

But gravity is a constant...

In this case gravity = acceleration = m(distance)/s(time)^2

Damn ya'll miss physics class or what?

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You can interpret it all you'd like just stating a fact by simply pointing out no one has the necessary information to make such assumptions.
100% agree. My reply was to "mass always wins". You were insinuating that the size/weight of the Bronco was the reason it survived better than the Tesla. I was merely pointing out that the vehicles have nearly the same mass/weight. Beyond that everything else is pure speculation.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So this is what happens without the crash bars... Looks like predictions of certain death for anyone who dares remove the crash bars may be overstated.

deejaybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

/sarcasm
According the social media the tesla should have obliterated the Bronco due to their high safety rating.

Also I can't help it with the irony that she worked for Swift and failed to negotiate the curve.

Generally curious what the crash rating for the Bronco will be when they come out. They seem to be pretty solid.
Making jokes about someone dying...what an edgelord.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can't really tell what model Tesla that even was, but even their crossovers are much lower than a sasquatched Bronco. If it was even close to head on that poor Tesla driver was basically eating a big metal bumper, i wouldnt be surprised if the bronco rode over the top of the main crumple zones

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think Tesla should call it auto-crash. The sad part is people are perfectly willing to pay Tesla to be Guinea pigs since they compile data from drivers and base system adjustments on that. No thank you Elon.
Much worse is that those who share the roads with these cretins are also being used as Guinea pigs, and put in as much danger as those who voluntarily put their safety at stake with these unsafe “self driving” features.

To my great chagrin, even @Ford Motor Company is jumping on this bandwagon, with their new “Blue Cruise” feature now available on some of their vehicles (thankfully, not the Bronco). I would have hoped that Ford would know better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Performing well in an actual crash, and scoring well on specific crash tests are two different things. Tests are a good indicator on many things, but it's not a direct translation to real world accidents.
How true.
I was project manager for 3 vehicles we had tested at TRC in Ohio in the early 90's.
A Mack Truck would fail a 35 mph crash into a solid concrete wall.
A VW will pass.
What vehicle would you rather be driving in an accident between a Mack Truck and a VW?

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh man this is so sad. I'm sure some folks are completely devastated.

Unfortunately this is just another reason why I think battery powered cars are just a cool novelty and won't ever become the car choice for masses. I certainly won't put my family in one.
I do think that eventually, electrical vehicles will win out. Right now, the battery technology is the big thing holding it back.

We are nowhere close to having battery technology that can come anywhere close to matching the amount of energy that we can store in a given mass and volume, compared to gasoline or similar fuels, and nowhere near being able to charge batteries at a rate comparable to pumping fuel into a conventional vehicle. And what battery technology we have that is usable in automobiles is expensive, and fraught with its own dangers.

If you happen to have an extra cell phone battery, that you can spare, try taking it out into a large paved area, away from anything flammable, and pounding on it with a hammer, to see what happens. Once you've seen that, imagine that scaled up to the size of something that can power an automobile.

If we ever overcome the limits of current battery technology, to get to where they can match gasoline in terms of energy density, charging rate, safety, and cost; then I expect that internal-combustion-engine-powered vehicles will very quickly become obsolete. Aside from battery-related issues, electric cars have all the advantages. How many moving parts do you suppose even the simpler of the two Bronco engines has? Surely more than a hundred. A typical electric motor has one moving part. Just one. And because they are electrically-reversible, and have a much wider power band, they do not need nearly as complex a transmission system. Get to comparable economies of scale, and electric vehicles should cost less to manufacture, be much easier and cheaper to maintain, more reliable, and should last much longer.

But the battery technology ruins everything.

But at my age I do not have much confidence that I will see us reach that point in what is left of my lifetime.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Much worse is that those who share the roads with these cretins are also being used as Guinea pigs, and put in as much danger as those who voluntarily put their safety at stake with these unsafe “self driving” features.

To my great chagrin, even @Ford Motor Company is jumping on this bandwagon, with their new “Blue Cruise” feature now available on some of their vehicles (thankfully, not the Bronco). I would have hoped that Ford would know better.
Ford blue cruise is a significantly safer system than Tesla. It uses more sensors and only works on pre-mapped roads. Totally different than Tesla and superior

Krimzun

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP/JEEP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FYI ... teslas have some the best crash ratings in the industry

This does not mean you can't die in them as with any car crash, you can die
This is one of the issues with crash ratings from the NTSB its always a wall. The Bronco or any lifted Suv vs a Tesla it might as well be a ramp. The Tesla is certain to have catastrophic A pillar failure in those situations. Crash test offer a very narrow view of the possibilities. How does a Tesla fair vs a Semi at 65mph with 20k lbs in Cargo. Or any car short of a Tank for that matter
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.