Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BUT! The general public is ignorant of how things like lithium and magnesium burn
One of my major hobbies is photography. I've been into that since long before modern xenon-tube electronic flash units were common.

Before xenon tubes, the common methods of producing a short, intense flash of light involved burning magnesium.
Sponsored

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

FYI ... teslas have some the best crash ratings in the industry

This does not mean you can't die in them as with any car crash, you can die
Not SOME of the best. The top three safest cars in the world are all Tesla’s.
.. but what do they know right guys ?!😂

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree BUT your scenario below applies to every car. And you can't test for every scenario.

This is one of the issues with crash ratings from the NTSB its always a wall. The Bronco or any lifted Suv vs a Tesla it might as well be a ramp. The Tesla is certain to have catastrophic A pillar failure in those situations. Crash test offer a very narrow view of the possibilities. How does a Tesla fair vs a Semi at 65mph with 20k lbs in Cargo. Or any car short of a Tank for that matter

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford blue cruise is a significantly safer system than Tesla. It uses more sensors and only works on pre-mapped roads. Totally different than Tesla and superior
I still think that the very idea of encouraging a driver to pay that little attention to his driving is dangerous and irresponsible; and is going to get people killed.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Elemental Lithium is reactive with water, but that is not what is used in the batteries - they use some form of Lithium Oxide such as LiFePO4, which is not reactive in water. It is the same reason table salt, or Sodium Cloride, is not reactive, but pure Sodium is very reactive.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Teslas beta testing is currently being done on public roads, which I find absolutely insane and don't understand how that can be legal. I don't dislike Tesla, I just think they're overrated for what they are. I would argue that Telsa is not 7-10 years ahead of anyone when it comes to EV's simply for the fact that they are adamantly relying on optical cameras only for their autonomous driving technology. Every other big player like Ford, VW, ect are already working out the implementation of LiDAR (in addition to optical cameras) for their future autonomous driving capabilities, which is able to see in low light, adverse weather, and is much higher resolution than traditional cameras.

Tesla cars are doing well because they were the first to the scene and Elon is a master at both making the impossible somehow work and hyping up his brand. The next few years will bring on a plethora of EV's and Tesla will have to come up with a way to stay relevant once every major auto maker has a comparable product with a much more intelligent ADAS/Autonomous system.
The problem with lidar is the cost. While the cost has come down, they're still way too expensive to be used for full self driving.

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The problem with lidar is the cost. While the cost has come down, they're still way too expensive to be used for full self driving.
That's not entirely true. Most of the LiDAR units are very expensive, but there have been some breakthroughs in LiDAR from a company called Microvision that currently has a very small, very high resolution, solid state MEMS based lidar unit that could fit in pretty much any car that would increase the cost $5-10k total. We are still a little ways away from full autonomous driving, but there are very high resolution, low cost LiDAR units right now. Those giant KFC buckets on top of cars from companies like Velodyne and Luminar are outdated and very expensive.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
that aint what he said

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think Tesla should call it auto-crash. The sad part is people are perfectly willing to pay Tesla to be Guinea pigs since they compile data from drivers and base system adjustments on that. No thank you Elon.
Exactly, one of many reasons why I hate that company and the clown that runs it. RIP to the woman, hopefully her family can find peace and closure.

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back to SWIFT. I have OTR trucking friends that say it stands for:
So What I Failed Test
Sure Wished I Finished Training
Safe While In Front of Truck

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Sad...hate to see it. Reminder to drive safe out there folks.

These EV post crash battery fires sound like an issue. Ford forecasting production of 600k by 2023 with F150 and Mustang Mach E according to Farley recently. Gonna see more of these EV fires unfortunately. Glad to see first responders already aware.
there wasnt a fire in this crash not sure why they bringing that up

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Back to SWIFT. I have OTR trucking friends that say it stands for:
So What I Failed Test
Sure Wished I Finished Training
Safe While In Front of Truck
she worked in the office she wasnt a truck driver not sure why this relevant

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'd like to know the what the data recorders say.
How fast, when did the collision avoidance systems kick in and how effective were they.
What actions were taken by the drivers.
Tesla will have the data not sure if she had a sim card saving the video
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.